Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Renaming "first" to "business" (US-> AA alignment)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2014 | 6:48 pm
Original Poster
Suspended

US Airways trans-border (U.S. to/from Mexico, Canada, Central America and the Caribbean) flights with First Class and Main Cabin fare codes will be aligned to match American Airlines Business Class and Main Cabin fare codes. With this alignment, the First Class Cabin on these flights will be renamed Business Class. Rest assured there are no changes to product offerings – we are simply renaming this class of travel
http://www.aa.com/i18n/agency/Genera...-Class-FAQ.jsp
Old Nov 3, 2014 | 6:59 pm
15 Years on Site

Programs: AA Plat Skymiles DM MM, a+ rewards lifetime elite, AS, Marriott plat, PC plat, HH gold
This is great news for Avios bookings. Business is only 2X; First is 3X Avios.
Old Nov 3, 2014 | 11:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
10 Countries Visited20 Years on Site

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Not that US or AA business is worth double Avios like say CX J would be! Still an improvement.
Old Nov 4, 2014 | 1:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
30 Countries Visited40 Nights2M15 Years on Site

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Plat.
Originally Posted by turkeyRIOO
But bad for status earning; with programs like Qantas, status earn is 3 x economy for First and 2 x economy for Business.
Old Nov 4, 2014 | 2:08 pm
15 Years on Site

Programs: Hertz Five Star, Delta SkyMiles, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, National Executive, Alaksa MVP
The link says this will look like a schedule change.. Wonder if they will allow changes to itineraries the next day.
Old Nov 4, 2014 | 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited20 Years on Site

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by serfty
But bad for status earning; with programs like Qantas, status earn is 3 x economy for First and 2 x economy for Business.
AA program will adjust the J mileage credits to that of F so there's no longer a penalty for us...unfortunately those who had used this as a way of getting more miles or credits in the BA and QF program will no longer have this little extra. But just about all NAmerican airlines have considered flights across the Canadian and Mexican border, and into the Caribbean, as business rather than first since the airlines operating in those countries have adopted business as their "domestic" F. (As have QF and BA, so just regularizing things world wide.)
Old Nov 5, 2014 | 4:00 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite
Originally Posted by Shareholder
AA program will adjust the J mileage credits to that of F so there's no longer a penalty for us...unfortunately those who had used this as a way of getting more miles or credits in the BA and QF program will no longer have this little extra. But just about all NAmerican airlines have considered flights across the Canadian and Mexican border, and into the Caribbean, as business rather than first since the airlines operating in those countries have adopted business as their "domestic" F. (As have QF and BA, so just regularizing things world wide.)
yeah... with 1.5 times the BA tier points on F/J and twice on Y (compared with AA) it was a nice year on US. Shame it's coming to a close.
Old Nov 6, 2014 | 5:10 pm
20 Years on Site

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by turkeyRIOO
Yes, but I wish AA would get with the program and stop calling domestic 1st class on a 2 cabin aircraft or Avios and OW would adjust so that these flights just cost 2x coach, which is how AAdvantage prices these awards.
Old Nov 6, 2014 | 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited15 Years on Site

Originally Posted by nologic
Yes, but I wish AA would get with the program and stop calling domestic 1st class on a 2 cabin aircraft or Avios and OW would adjust so that these flights just cost 2x coach, which is how AAdvantage prices these awards.
Be careful what you wish for. While AA calling it First causes a problem with Avois, it makes it easy to upgrade with AA miles/SWUs on those flights, since A inventory is both a First discount bucket and a miles/SWU upgrade bucket. Comparing it against the C upgrade bucket for Business, and the much greater availablity of A than C, it's clear that if it weren't for the way A does double duty, it would be much harder to upgrade domestic 2 cabin connections than it is now. (And because that's how it already does it on US<->Canada flights, it's obvious that AA would switch from A to C domestically for upgrades if it renamed the front cabin to Business domestically.)

Fortunately (for those of us who care about upgrades even more than about Avios redemptions up front), I doubt AA will do that as long as all other domestic airlines (including UA, DL, and AS) continue to call it First Class. It's just a historical precedent: The USA has always called it that, even as the rest of the world has called it Business Class.

Last edited by sdsearch; Nov 6, 2014 at 8:17 pm
Old Nov 7, 2014 | 10:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
30 Countries Visited40 Nights2M15 Years on Site

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Plat.
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Originally Posted by nologic
Be careful what you wish for. ...
+1

As indicated earlier calling it first and booking into P/A/F is useful for status earn on some other *O programs such as BAEC. If that were to happen it would throw a spanner into the works for many posts as well as the Wiki in this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...er-thread.html
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Fortunately (for those of us who care about upgrades even more than about Avios redemptions up front), I doubt AA will do that as long as all other domestic airlines (including UA, DL, and AS) continue to call it First Class. It's just a historical precedent: The USA has always called it that, even as the rest of the world has called it Business Class.
For me I hope competition keeps it that way.

FWIW, here in Oz, during the Mid 90's had First, Business and Economy - earlier than there there was just First and economy. Towards the end of last century they had a period were the premium product was called "Business First" and then the "First" part was quietly dropped.
Old Nov 7, 2014 | 10:55 pm
Suspended
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited10 Years on Site

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
AA won't change domestic F to anything else and neither will the other two major legacies: UA & DL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.