Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Guide: Madrid-Barajas Intl. Airport (MAD) - Arrival, Depart, Connect, etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 31, 2018, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Please edit or add information to this wiki as necessary.

Link to MAD Airport page on aa.com
Link to Aeropuerto Adolfo Suárez Madrid-Barajas website (English or Spanish).
Link to FT-AA Welcome and Lounge Dashboard page (for MAD lounges information).

For Minimum Connect Times, please see post #1.

Madrid-Barajas Terminal’s 4 and 4-S
International one world flights arrive and depart Terminal 4-S (satellite). International arriving passengers will process immigration here. Queues can be lengthy; talking the rightmost non-EU citizen queues is advisable, as the EU citizen queues to the right of non-EU citizen lines often open up to non-EU citizens in that particular queue, halving the time spent in queue.

Passengers in Iberia Plus and Iberia Sapphire and Emerald equivalents members on flights over four hours long are welcome to use the Premium Traveller Lounge Arrivals lounge. Link to One Mile At a Time review.

Connecting passengers on single ticketing / PNR will not have to retrieve baggage for customs inspection, which will be accomplished at their destination - Schengen or non-Schengen.

Connecting passengers departing Terminal 4-S will also undergo security here.

Connecting passengers to Schengen and non-T-4 destinations will undergo security procedures in their departure terminal.

Schengen and domestic Spain flights generally arrive and depart Terminal 4.

The terminals are connected by subterranean train accessible from the lowest floor. (It is advisable to use the lifts / elevators over the escalators.)

Connections to other terminals are via landslide shuttle busses.

There are two metro stations: the first one is "Aeropuerto T1-T2-T3", situated at the centre of the terminal T2 floor 1; the second one is "Aeropuerto T4", situated at terminal T4 floor -1. Travel will most often require connections at Nuevos Ministerios station.
Related threads:
Heads up re: Spain (MAD, BCN etc.) - Long passport / security queues Jun 2017 onward
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...er-thread.html
Print Wikipost

Guide: Madrid-Barajas Intl. Airport (MAD) - Arrival, Depart, Connect, etc.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2024 | 11:23 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Exec Plat, SPG Plat
Madrid-CLT originating in BCN

I'll be traveling BCN-Madrid-CLT later this year with 3 other passengers, all Non-EU. We are on Iberia connecting to AA. Will we go thru passport control in BCN or have to do so in Madrid? Want to make sure I'm allowing for enough time. Thanks in advance!
Old Jul 9, 2024 | 11:27 am
10 Years on Site

Programs: IB+, BAEC
Originally Posted by mjhhmb
I'll be traveling BCN-Madrid-CLT later this year with 3 other passengers, all Non-EU. We are on Iberia connecting to AA. Will we go thru passport control in BCN or have to do so in Madrid? Want to make sure I'm allowing for enough time. Thanks in advance!
Passport control will be in Madrid
mjhhmb likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2024 | 8:30 pm

Programs: IB+ Oro / OWS
Turnaround time

I'm on the 741 today (26th), the inbound 740 just departed at 2215, 3hrs15min late, with eta MAD 1056.
741's departure now pushed back to 1227, from 1200, so only 27min late, with turnaround time of just 1.5 hours.
Is this realistic?
Past week's turnaround times are 4ish hours but that's for scheduling and not the minimum time to turnaround?

Thank you!

Edit: priority counters at 0630 (empty) already available for the latest PHL flight. Turn around time 1hrs45min

Last edited by csycsycsy; Jul 25, 2024 at 11:38 pm
Old Jul 27, 2024 | 9:29 pm

Programs: AA (1MM), Marriott (LT Gold)
In September, I have an AA award flight on MCI-PHL-MAD-SVQ (Seville) and returning on SVQ-MAD-CLT-MCI. All flights are on AA except for the MAD-SVQ and SVQ-MAD segments which are on Iberia Express. Typically, I try to carry on, but I'm concerned that Iberia Express may have a more strict interpretation on what size luggage is allowed for carry on.

Where, if anywhere, will I most likely be told that I have to check my bag on my outbound flight segments? And if in Madrid, will I be told to check at the gate or somewhere else? On my return trip, assuming Iberia Express makes me check in Seville, do I have to pick up my bags in Madrid before continuing on to the USA, or will they check through all the way to MCI? If I pick them up in Madrid, can I just go ahead and carry them on for the remainder of my AA flights?

Also (I know this is slightly off topic, but for those who are familiar with the Madrid flights to Charlotte), because of a schedule change I got bumped to a much later flight from CLT to MCI on my return flight. Does it usually take a long time to clear immigration / customs in CLT in the late afternoon? I'd like to catch the earlier flight, but I'm not sure how realistic that is.

Last edited by ExitRowAisle; Jul 27, 2024 at 10:04 pm
Old Jul 28, 2024 | 12:23 am
10 Countries Visited100k

Programs: Lowly Marriott Gold, AA Platinum(OW Sapphire)
Quick question on passports at MAD (or any EU for that matter). Holding US and UK passports, is either preferable for entry? I know I’ll have to potentially deal with ETIAS, and does anyone know if it will be linked to a single passport?
Old Jul 28, 2024 | 5:17 am

Originally Posted by ExitRowAisle
In September, I have an AA award flight on MCI-PHL-MAD-SVQ (Seville) and returning on SVQ-MAD-CLT-MCI. All flights are on AA except for the MAD-SVQ and SVQ-MAD segments which are on Iberia Express. Typically, I try to carry on, but I'm concerned that Iberia Express may have a more strict interpretation on what size luggage is allowed for carry on.

Where, if anywhere, will I most likely be told that I have to check my bag on my outbound flight segments? And if in Madrid, will I be told to check at the gate or somewhere else? On my return trip, assuming Iberia Express makes me check in Seville, do I have to pick up my bags in Madrid before continuing on to the USA, or will they check through all the way to MCI? If I pick them up in Madrid, can I just go ahead and carry them on for the remainder of my AA flights?
​​​​​​IBE if non J/Status there is likelihood for gate checking of bags, for SCQ-MAD showing the itinerary will get you left alone, assuming size was within rules to begin with.

Originally Posted by TxDucky
Quick question on passports at MAD (or any EU for that matter). Holding US and UK passports, is either preferable for entry? I know I’ll have to potentially deal with ETIAS, and does anyone know if it will be linked to a single passport?
UK one is ever slightly better as both still can't use the eGates (for now), the manned counters will likely ask less questions for UK passports.
TxDucky likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2024 | 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by csycsycsy
​​​​​​IBE if non J/Status there is likelihood for gate checking of bags, for SCQ-MAD showing the itinerary will get you left alone, assuming size was within rules to begin with.
Does AA LT Gold give me a better chance to carry on with Iberia Express, even if not within the stated dimensions? By the way, this is a bag that I have historically routinely carred on. I'm asking because I'm under the impression that European airlines now impose and enforce more stringent carry on requirements.

Where will I be expected to pick up my bag if forced to check in at SVQ -- MAD, CLT, or MCI?
Old Jul 29, 2024 | 1:30 am
10 Years on Site

Programs: IB+, BAEC
Originally Posted by TxDucky

Zero difference. Doesn't matter at all. Just be sure to use the same one for entry and exit
Old Jul 29, 2024 | 1:32 am
10 Countries Visited100k

Programs: Lowly Marriott Gold, AA Platinum(OW Sapphire)
Originally Posted by LupineChemist
Zero difference. Doesn't matter at all. Just be sure to use the same one for entry and exit
Right, the standard it is. I did find an explanation of ETAIS that specifies linking to one passport only for dual nationals…annoying, but reasonable.
Old Jul 29, 2024 | 3:44 am

Does AA LT Gold give me a better chance to carry on with Iberia Express, even if not within the stated dimensions? By the way, this is a bag that I have historically routinely carred on. I'm asking because I'm under the impression that European airlines now impose and enforce more stringent carry on requirements.

Where will I be expected to pick up my bag if forced to check in at SVQ -- MAD, CLT, or MCI?
Here are the dimensions
https://www.iberiaexpress.com/en/gen...e/hand-baggage

How much bigger is yours?

AA Gold = OWR? This gives you group 2 on IB, so yours won't be gate checked for the overheads already being full but for the oversizing

In theory checked to final destination but showing the itinerary should get you a pass but again depends how big it is
Old Jul 29, 2024 | 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by csycsycsy
Here are the dimensions
https://www.iberiaexpress.com/en/gen...e/hand-baggage

How much bigger is yours?

AA Gold = OWR? This gives you group 2 on IB, so yours won't be gate checked for the overheads already being full but for the oversizing

In theory checked to final destination but showing the itinerary should get you a pass but again depends how big it is
It's an advertised 22" x 14" x 8" bag, which converts to 56 cm x 36 cm x 20 cm. Those dimensions are allowed for carry-ons on Iberia Express. When I measure it, the external length is 24" including the handle and wheels, which converts to 61 cm. That does not qualify. I guess I'll hope for the best but assume I will have to gate check in Madrid and won't be able to carry on when I return.
Old Jul 29, 2024 | 3:54 pm

It's an advertised 22" x 14" x 8" bag, which converts to 56 cm x 36 cm x 20 cm. Those dimensions are allowed for carry-ons on Iberia Express. When I measure it, the external length is 24" including the handle and wheels, which converts to 61 cm. That does not qualify. I guess I'll hope for the best but assume I will have to gate check in Madrid and won't be able to carry on when I return.
I think you'll be fine!
Old Aug 23, 2024 | 5:27 pm
15 Years on Site

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Schengen to non-Schengen connection

Apologies if I missed it in this thread but what is the connection process at MAD if I arrive on an Iberia flight from Lisbon into T4 and depart on Iberia from T4S to South America? I know I’ll need to pass through passport control at T4S to exit Schengen but will I also pass through security at any stage? Just trying to work out a comfortable connection time for an upcoming trip. Thanks.
Old Aug 23, 2024 | 7:22 pm
S80

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, QR Gold, UA 1K, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by britenbsas
Apologies if I missed it in this thread but what is the connection process at MAD if I arrive on an Iberia flight from Lisbon into T4 and depart on Iberia from T4S to South America? I know I’ll need to pass through passport control at T4S to exit Schengen but will I also pass through security at any stage? Just trying to work out a comfortable connection time for an upcoming trip. Thanks.
No security, I've only passed through it when making a connection on non-schengen inbound, but the train can take 5-10 minutes between T4 and T4S
britenbsas likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.