Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

LAA Airbus “321” A321 2-class pre-Oasis Best Main Cabin & MCE seat

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 2, 2018, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
American Airlines purchased a number of Airbus A321-200, all equipped with “Sharklets” wingtip devices. These vary from the A321-200s purchased by US Airways, which have conventional wingtips and were stripped of at-seat power and in flight entertainment.

For several years, AA showed the legacy AA Sharklets equipped aircraft as “32B” in schedules, regardless of the variant. In early 2029, AA classified this and the legacy US version as “321”.

Current versions include the three class (with Flagship First) A321T used only between JFK and LAX or SFO. This variant has its own thread. Others include:

A321S, Sharklets equipped two class Airbus A321-200 used domestically and to near international destinations.

A321H, Sharklets equipped two class Airbus A321-200 ETOPS used for West Coast - Hawaii overwater flights. These are to be replaced by A321neo aircraft later in 2029.

Both models have identical seating.

NOTE: in accordance with AA “Project Oasis” all two class Legacy AA A321-200 “32B” Sharklets wingtip device equipped aircraft will be retrofitted between 2019 and 2021. Business / First cabins will use the seats found today in the AA A319, with reduced seat pitch and recline. MCE and MC will have the Rockwell Collins slimline Meridian seats with reduced pitch and recline. Lavatories will be ultra-slim Rockwell Collins Spacewall lavs. See Oasis: New seats & less pitch, WiFi IFE & power all 737 and A321 2019-21 for further information.

As conversion begins we will start a new thread, and you should be able to see which configuration a particular aircraft has by referencing the (unofficial) American Airlines Fleet Site here.
Print Wikipost

LAA Airbus “321” A321 2-class pre-Oasis Best Main Cabin & MCE seat

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2017 | 1:06 pm
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited5 Years on Site

Wife and I booked DFW>CUN on 32B. Currently I'm in 12F and she's in 12D.

Would it be advantageous to switch me to 25A and her 25B? Is there a benefit to those seats, or am I basically as good as it gets in 12E/F?

She is short enough that she doesn't benefit from MCE, so if there is something better about 25A than 12F I would like to make the switch.
Old Aug 25, 2017 | 2:03 pm
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited15 Years on Site

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinium
Originally Posted by shimps1
Wife and I booked DFW>CUN on 32B. Currently I'm in 12F and she's in 12D.

Would it be advantageous to switch me to 25A and her 25B? Is there a benefit to those seats, or am I basically as good as it gets in 12E/F?

She is short enough that she doesn't benefit from MCE, so if there is something better about 25A than 12F I would like to make the switch.
Those are not Exit seats, row 11/24 are exits seats and 12F, 25A/F are good seats but BCDE from row 25 or ACBDE from row 12 are not exit or MCE and I could say they are the worst seats (less leg room that a regular seat).
Old Aug 25, 2017 | 2:26 pm
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited5 Years on Site

Originally Posted by fedechat
Those are not Exit seats, row 11/24 are exits seats and 12F, 25A/F are good seats but BCDE from row 25 or ACBDE from row 12 are not exit or MCE and I could say they are the worst seats (less leg room that a regular seat).
Are you sure? Not saying you're wrong, just asking to clarify.

Seat map shows 8-13 ABC as MCE, 8-12 DEF as MCE, all of 24 as MCE and 25 A and F as MCE.

Exit row or not does not matter to me, I just want the best pair of seats available. My wife is 5'4" and I'm 6'3" and we have free MCE due to AAnytime award, so any Y seat pair works.
Old Aug 25, 2017 | 4:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinium
Originally Posted by shimps1
Are you sure? Not saying you're wrong, just asking to clarify.

Seat map shows 8-13 ABC as MCE, 8-12 DEF as MCE, all of 24 as MCE and 25 A and F as MCE.

Exit row or not does not matter to me, I just want the best pair of seats available. My wife is 5'4" and I'm 6'3" and we have free MCE due to AAnytime award, so any Y seat pair works.
Yes, 12 is MCE and 13ABC, but don't go to row 25 because BCDE are the worst, the best row for a couple is 24 because they recline more than 11 but when I fly solo I always select 25AF or 12F.
Old Sep 23, 2017 | 5:11 am
10 Countries Visited5 Years on Site

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb., Marriott Gold, FB Plat, BAEC Silver
Currently selected 12F on 2 upcoming flights. Do this seat has a good window view?
Old Sep 23, 2017 | 6:09 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG / Marriott GLD, HHonors GLD
Originally Posted by jongesander
Currently selected 12F on 2 upcoming flights. Do this seat has a good window view?
Yes. You have two windows for your seat essentially and you're in front of the wing/engine so no real obstruction there.

It's the best seat on the plane (honestly, for redeyes I think it beats F)

The only downside is the IFE pulls out from the armrest on the left hand side so no watching on takeoff / approach / landing
Old Sep 23, 2017 | 6:21 am
10 Countries Visited5 Years on Site

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb., Marriott Gold, FB Plat, BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by lds89
Yes. You have two windows for your seat essentially and you're in front of the wing/engine so no real obstruction there.

It's the best seat on the plane (honestly, for redeyes I think it beats F)

The only downside is the IFE pulls out from the armrest on the left hand side so no watching on takeoff / approach / landing
Thanks for your response!
Old Oct 17, 2017 | 9:25 am
10 Countries Visited20 Years on Site

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Can someone opine on 11C for comfort (after the doors close). I need shoulder room more than leg room, so I'm wondering whether the 12F/25A/25F is best. I'm guessing the arm rests are immovable but do folks like that seat? I was surprised not to see it discussed much other than it being an exit row.
Old Oct 17, 2017 | 5:48 pm

window seat in last row (A321) improve chances of boarding early? (to merge)

does choosing window seat in very last row(A321) improve chances of boarding early? (as in getting a higher boarding group on the boarding pass during OLCI)

I'm booking a ticket for a family member who has not flow on AA in almost 10 years. (but has been UA Premier Platinum for 11 years, not that it matters on AA )
Old Oct 17, 2017 | 6:10 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Not at all.

See GUIDE: AA Boarding Priority, Order and Related Issues (as of 1 Mar 2017).
Old Oct 17, 2017 | 6:13 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP
Originally Posted by MrWilliamston
does choosing window seat in very last row(A321) improve chances of boarding early? (as in getting a higher boarding group on the boarding pass during OLCI)

I'm booking a ticket for a family member who has not flow on AA in almost 10 years. (but has been UA Premier Platinum for 11 years, not that it matters on AA )

Nope- Makes no difference.
Old Oct 17, 2017 | 6:15 pm
15 Years on Site

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Wouldn't that seat assignment make Group 6 more likely than Groups 7-8?
Old Oct 17, 2017 | 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MrWilliamston

AFAIK, no seat you can choose for free (without elite status) increases your chances of a higher boarding group. Paying extra for an MCE seat should.
Old Oct 17, 2017 | 6:31 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist
15 Years on Site

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
If the old America West (became the US Airways) boarding process was still happening, then yes. They started at rear, then window-->middle-->aisle. It was a pretty efficient way, as it avoided most aisle passengers having to get up for windows (other than elites, if everyone boarded as they were supposed to).

Other than elites on AA, I'm not quite sure how they board, other than Basic Economy (if the flight has it) is last.
Old Oct 17, 2017 | 10:56 pm
40 Countries Visited10 Years on Site

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
As other said, seat location doesn't matter (old CO used to board from back to front, I liked that). At online check-in, the system may offer you priority boarding for a fee (as long as it isn't a basic economy fare).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.