Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AA Awards on Cathay Pacific (2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: AA Awards on Cathay Pacific (2016)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2016, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
Yes, a seat or two should open, this thread had allowed me to relax when booking CX flights with AA miles.
Kinda scares the crap out of me but I'm seriously considering it.

Anyone have a feel on ease of J availability on CX831 JFK-HKG in November?

If I go down this route, should I just setup AwardNexus and check a couple times a day?
Old Jul 20, 2016, 9:21 pm

Saw 2 seats were available on BA, call AA, they can't see.

Was this common?
Old Jul 20, 2016, 11:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
Originally Posted by MasterJ
Saw 2 seats were available on BA, call AA, they can't see.

Was this common?
Commonly if there is a connecting flight involved. In this case you need to separately verify the availability of those individual flights that make up the entire itinerary.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 1:50 am

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Elite Gold
My wife and I enjoyed CX F LAX-HKG-BKK, but it looks doubtful it will open on 7/23 for BKK-HKG-LAX. One seat had popped up occasionally, but it always disappeared and two never popped up at the same time. Looks like we'll be "stuck" on JL BKK-NRT-LAX with only the second leg in F.

At least I get to try a new airline.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 10:14 pm

Originally Posted by ralphs
Commonly if there is a connecting flight involved. In this case you need to separately verify the availability of those individual flights that make up the entire itinerary.
Thanks!
Old Jul 22, 2016, 2:45 am

Flight is within 24 hours. There are two F seats available for purchase and only one available via reward. Has CX released two reward seats when only two are available within 24 hours?
Old Jul 22, 2016, 4:57 am

Originally Posted by greg0ire
Flight is within 24 hours. There are two F seats available for purchase and only one available via reward. Has CX released two reward seats when only two are available within 24 hours?
Almost never. I did see it one August from Chicago. But the consistently documented policy is Revenue Minus One.

Edit - you should still grab the one. What if someone else does, and then there's a cancellation and another award is released? You'd be screwed.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 5:54 am

Originally Posted by jamienbaker
Almost never. I did see it one August from Chicago. But the consistently documented policy is Revenue Minus One.

Edit - you should still grab the one. What if someone else does, and then there's a cancellation and another award is released? You'd be screwed.
Can't do it. If my wife goes home via JL and I do CX she won't be pleased.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 5:59 am

Can't do it. If my wife goes home via JL and I do CX she won't be pleased.
Ah, I figured you were both together in J on the same CX flight. I didn't realize you were on split carriers.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 6:33 am

Together on JL F...hoping for CX F.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 9:36 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Why not just stick with JL F? Looks like an impressive product from what I've seen.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 10:31 am

Programs: UA MM, AA 2MM, AS MVP/G, Bonvoy LTP, HH Dia
Unless it's more convenient time-wise, I actually prefer JL F to CX F-- food, champagne, service win hands-down for me. So I wouldn't sweat it. You're flying well.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 10:36 am

Programs: Alaska MPVG75, AAdvantage PlatPro, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
I'm on JL F for the outbound leg of our trip this fall. As much as I like CX F, I'm looking forward to trying JL. Have heard nothing but good things about it.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by ps9a
Unless it's more convenient time-wise, I actually prefer JL F to CX F-- food, champagne, service win hands-down for me. So I wouldn't sweat it. You're flying well.
I agree JL significant exceeds CX when it comes to food & wine.

My objection (and not a strenuous one) is JL staff/pax ratio is poor relative to CX, and the cabin itself is 33% more crowded.

Ex-Asia, I'd also be influenced by the fact that the F Pier is significantly better than the JL F lounge at NRT. But departing from the States this wouldn't be an issue.

Just throwing a couple things out there. Truth be told I'd pick JL over CX since I enjoy the food so much.

Jamie
Old Jul 22, 2016, 12:41 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro; United Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by no1cub17
Why not just stick with JL F? Looks like an impressive product from what I've seen.
Originally Posted by ps9a
Originally Posted by 25milesfromhome
I'm on JL F for the outbound leg of our trip this fall. As much as I like CX F, I'm looking forward to trying JL. Have heard nothing but good things about it.
Originally Posted by jamienbaker
I agree JL significant exceeds CX when it comes to food & wine.

My objection (and not a strenuous one) is JL staff/pax ratio is poor relative to CX, and the cabin itself is 33% more crowded.

Ex-Asia, I'd also be influenced by the fact that the F Pier is significantly better than the JL F lounge at NRT. But departing from the States this wouldn't be an issue.

Just throwing a couple things out there. Truth be told I'd pick JL over CX since I enjoy the food so much.

Jamie
I guess I am the sole defector. I flew CX F ORD-HKG in December then JL F ORD-NRT-ORD in March. Hands down, I preferred CX F. The flight attendants on CX went above and beyond to deliver great service. I had to work on a project with a tight deadline that prevented me sleep on CX, so the FA stopped by to check on me pretty much every hour asking if I wanted drink refills, if I wanted a snack, pointed out the northern lights to me, addressed me by name, etc. I could not have asked for a better experience.

The FA's on JL just were not that nice, proactive (I had to ask for every thing - a drink, a snack, for them to make my bed, etc - they offered nothing), and in some instances very demanding (like waking me up and telling me I had to change out of my pajamas over an hour before the captain cleared for landing or turned on the fasten seatbelt sign). But of course, they do it with a fake smile and "please" and "thank you" so I think most people think they're providing good service.

I also did not appreciate the temperature setting on JL...I was literally sweating the entire flight. CX was also warmer than the average US carrier, but not to the extent JL was. And I was also not impressed with the food on JL, at least ex-US. I got an overcooked filet with some kind of gelatinous gravy. I also much preferred the caviar on CX. And I do agree that the food ex-Japan is great especially if wagyu is on the menu, but not worth the service issues.

For our upcoming trip, I could have gotten more JL F seats to HKG than CX F seats (right now we're in J one way, and F the other), but I'd rather be in CX J than JL F (especially since I would have needed to take a connection in that case - not worth it!).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.