Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 16, 2017, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: seawolf
NOTE: Flagship Lounges and Flagship First Dining closed March 20, 2020. They will begin reopening in September of 2021, as discussed in this thread (link). This thread will reboot as the Premium facilities begin reopening and as AA announces any changes including access rules.

Beginning in spring 2017, AA began introducing their completely renovated or new, larger Flagship Lounges completely redesigned for qualifying First and Business Class customers.

Rules for expanded access to Flagship Lounges were published June 2017.

Features
  • More room for you to spread out and relax
  • Larger buffet with premium, fresh meals
  • Premium beer, wine and spirits
  • Updated interiors with additional power and privacy options
  • More staff in each lounge for the highest level of service

As well, Flagship Lounge access policies changed.

American Airlines has expanded access to the Flagship Lounges (but reduced access to Flagship Dining within the Flagship Lounges):

Expanded access

In the new Flagship Lounges (not to be confused with Flagship Dining), eligible customers are:
  • First and Business Class customers (on qualifying international flights or 3-class transcontinental markets*)
  • AAdvantage Executive Platinum (including Concierge Key), Platinum Pro and Platinum members in any cabin (on qualifying international flights*)
  • oneworld Emerald and Sapphire members in any cabin (on all qualifying flights**)

Qualifying transcontinental flights

3-class non-stop flights between:

• New York (JFK) and Los Angeles (LAX)
  • JFK and San Francisco (SFO)
  • JFK and Orange County (SNA)
  • LAX and Miami (MIA)
  • LAX and Boston (BOS)

Qualifying other domestic filghts

Flights with seats ticketed as Flagship between:

• Dallas Fort Worth (DFW) and Honolulu (HNL)
  • DFW and Kona (KOA)
  • DFW and Maui (OGG)
  • Chicago (ORD) and HNL
  • Charlotte (CLT) and HNL
Guest Access

1 guest (children over 2 count as a guest)

*Qualifying international flights are those between the U.S. and Europe, Asia, Australia, New Zealand, and South America (excluding Bolivia, Colombia, Ecuador, Guyana, Peru, Suriname, and Venezuela) only. Qualifying transcontinental flights are defined as non-stop between New York Kennedy (JFK) and Los Angeles (LAX) or San Francisco (SFO). All other international destinations are excluded from this benefit. Departing flight must be the same-day (or before 6 a.m. the following day).

**AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Platinum Pro and Platinum members traveling solely on North American itineraries (other than flights mentioned immediately above) will not qualify. North America is defined as the United States (including Hawaii and Alaska), Canada, Mexico, Bermuda, the Bahamas and the Caribbean.

: An exception usually exists for First and Business passengers on AA Flagship (three class aircraft actually sold as three classes), such as the seasonal MIA-LAX 77W and LAX-BOS A321T.

NOTE: Flagship First Class customers on Americans 3-class international and transcontinental flights will have exclusive, complimentary access to Flagship First Dining. Qualifying international passengers may bring one guest; qualifying domestic passengers are not allowed any guests.

NOTE: Flagship First Class and Flagship Business Class passengers traveling on 3-cabin transcontinental flights between JFK and LAX/SFO are allowed entry to the Flagship Lounge both upon departure and upon arrival (e.g. A passenger traveling business class nonstop from JFK to LAX will have access to the JFK Lounge and the LAX Lounge). However, passengers on this itinerary will not be allowed to bring in a guest if they are not also in the Flagship cabin

Link to relevant "Flagship Lounge" aa.com page

Link to 2017 and 2018 posts archived from this thread.

Print Wikipost

Guide to Flagship Lounge Access

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2020 | 6:59 am
Suspended

Programs: AA: CK
Originally Posted by GrumpyYoungMan
This must be new - in late October I went to QF F lounge on a transcon F ticket.
I think you got lucky! I wonder if that means you could get in with an "F" ticket to a two-class destination, for instance LAS. Because QF agents aren't really trained to know the difference between true First to JFK vs. "First" to LAS.
Old Mar 11, 2020 | 9:42 am
50 Countries Visited3M10 Years on Site

Programs: AA LT PLT+2MM, BA Silver, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by BlooJoo
I think you got lucky! I wonder if that means you could get in with an "F" ticket to a two-class destination, for instance LAS. Because QF agents aren't really trained to know the difference between true First to JFK vs. "First" to LAS.
For sure they used to let 3 class transcon F in, especially before FFD was introduced. They can scan the ticket, and if it says yes, they'll let you in. At the end of the day, AA is paying for the access if based on class of service premises. If AA (not QF) has changed the rules, then it would be recent.
Old Mar 11, 2020 | 3:12 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by teemuflyer
For sure they used to let 3 class transcon F in, especially before FFD was introduced. They can scan the ticket, and if it says yes, they'll let you in. At the end of the day, AA is paying for the access if based on class of service premises. If AA (not QF) has changed the rules, then it would be recent.
That's exactly what happened - scanned the ticket and I was in.
teemuflyer likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2020 | 3:17 pm
Suspended

Seems I'm wrong - sorry!
Old Mar 11, 2020 | 3:20 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat
Seems I'm wrong - sorry!
Maybe not, I reckon the rules could have changed.
Old Mar 11, 2020 | 7:52 pm
5 Years on Site

Programs: Costco Gold Star, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by GrumpyYoungMan
Maybe not, I reckon the rules could have changed.
There is a large thread in the QF forum over the LAX First Lounge and nothing like this has been reported there so I highly doubt anything has changed.
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2020 | 3:25 pm
15 Years on Site

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
I had been in LAX QF F lounge multiple times, as long as I was flying oneworld in any class of service.
Old Mar 12, 2020 | 3:28 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by allset2travel
I had been in LAX QF F lounge multiple times, as long as I was flying oneworld in any class of service.
As an AA-OWE (EXP)? Wow, I've seen them actively turn away AA-OWE's.
Old Mar 12, 2020 | 5:05 pm
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited15 Years on Site

Originally Posted by allset2travel
As an AA-OWE (EXP)? Wow, I've seen them actively turn away AA-OWE's.
You guys may be talking about two different things...

AA-OWE - flying OW or AA international - always have access. I have done it many times. Never an issue.
AA-OWE - flying AA domestic (not dedicated 3 cabin transcon) - no access.

AA-OWE - flying the LAX 3 cabin - I have seen mixed reports.
Old Mar 12, 2020 | 6:06 pm
10 Years on Site

Programs: AA EXP
Just to add another data point - last November I flew LAX-JFK in 321T F as a lowly PLT. QF F lounge initially tried to turn me away, they eventually made a phone call to the AC/FL and they apparently were able to convince the QF people to let me in. Seems very much a YMMV situation.
Old Mar 12, 2020 | 7:14 pm
5 Years on Site

Programs: BAEC Gold, Honors Diamond
Just to add another data point, when I flew LAX-MIA on the 777 last October I accidentally went to the OW J lounge, she commented that it was one of the few AA flights that they let in, once she saw my Emerald Status I was directed to the QF F lounge instead (BA Gold travelling in J).
Old Mar 12, 2020 | 7:41 pm
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited10 Years on Site

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by S_W_S
Just to add another data point, when I flew LAX-MIA on the 777 last October I accidentally went to the OW J lounge, she commented that it was one of the few AA flights that they let in, once she saw my Emerald Status I was directed to the QF F lounge instead (BA Gold travelling in J).
Wouldn't a BA Gold get access to F lounges before any OW flight (including AA), or do I have that wrong?

In any case, had no issues getting into the LAX QF lounge as an AA EXP going to MEX in Y last week. They scanned my boarding pass and I was good to go. Was my first time there and, aside from the QF table service and bar, I prefer the FL since it has nice tarmac views and natural light.
Old Mar 12, 2020 | 7:44 pm
5 Years on Site

Programs: BAEC Gold, Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by jcain
Wouldn't a BA Gold get access to F lounges before any OW flight (including AA), or do I have that wrong?

In any case, had no issues getting into the LAX QF lounge as an AA EXP going to MEX in Y last week. They scanned my boarding pass and I was good to go. Was my first time there and, aside from the QF table service and bar, I prefer the FL since it has nice tarmac views and natural light.
You are correct, it does, however she said that before she noticed my Emerald status.
Old Mar 12, 2020 | 11:40 pm
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited10 Years on Site

Programs: AA EXP, 2MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Global321
You guys may be talking about two different things...

AA-OWE - flying OW or AA international - always have access. I have done it many times. Never an issue.
AA-OWE - flying AA domestic (not dedicated 3 cabin transcon) - no access.

AA-OWE - flying the LAX 3 cabin - I have seen mixed reports.
Not always for me. AA EXP flying CX J, denied access to QF F lounge. Was told due to capacity controls.
Old Mar 12, 2020 | 11:52 pm
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited15 Years on Site

Originally Posted by hbtr
Not always for me. AA EXP flying CX J, denied access to QF F lounge. Was told due to capacity controls.
Good to have another DP.

Pre-Corona - I have left the Q lounge and went back to FL in the evening because it was packed full; Q employees finding seats for people and wifi not working because too many people trying to log on.

Sadly with Corona, I don't think capacity will be an issue for a while.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.