Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Action against unprincipled passenger?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2018 | 7:30 am

We always fly the same class as our kids, even as teenagers. It is a family trip, we are a team, and we stick together.
muji and polarbears like this.
Old Jul 28, 2018 | 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Hmmm, reading this thread kept something running through my mind... How much outrage would the CK exhibit if he was asked to move to a "Y" seat so a family member could sit up front? I'm sure he knew exactly what he was asking and felt proud of himself when the kids agreed to move. Glad the FAs squared it around, and the kids getting sundaes too boot was a good move. I hope AA can/will track this type of action, maybe his revenue isn't worth the complaints and he removed from CK ranks.
Oxnardjan likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2018 | 8:04 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
When I read this thread I immediately pictured a DYKWIA CK who only got to CK because he set up some sort of corporate contract where one person in the company gets complimentary CK. This CK being the DYKWIA chose himself. Could be entirely wrong though!
Old Jul 28, 2018 | 8:15 am
5 Years on Site

Programs: Does Non Rev count?
Another point - What is wrong with the parents, that they couldn't sit with their kids? This wouldn't have happened at all, had the parents been with their kids. Granted, the CK was an ..., but I could never understand why parents separate from their kids like this. I have two boys, almost the same age, and one is almost 6' tall, and no way I'd leave them alone on an international flight...
aceman and polarbears like this.
Old Jul 28, 2018 | 8:32 am
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited15 Years on Site

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by erik123
When my kids travel alone they are instructed not to change seats. If asked they are to explain that dad has selected that seat for safety reasons and they are not allowed to move.
Out of curiosity, would you guys put a kid or vulnerable young woman in an aisle seat rather than a window on the grounds that there's less chance of them being groped in an aisle seat?
Old Jul 28, 2018 | 8:44 am

Originally Posted by WiscAZ
When I read this thread I immediately pictured a DYKWIA CK who only got to CK because he set up some sort of corporate contract where one person in the company gets complimentary CK. This CK being the DYKWIA chose himself. Could be entirely wrong though!
According to the FA, the CK flies weekly between DFW and MAD. Presumably in PE given that's where he was on this flight. Enough to make CK?
Old Jul 28, 2018 | 8:56 am
Suspended
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited10 Years on Site

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
As to OP's friends, leave it be unless they want to sue the CK for some form of fraud, file John Doe complaints and then force AA to produce the CK's data via subpoena. Likely expensive, time-consuming and fruitless.

People who do stuff like this do much worse things and sooner or later they get caught doing the really bad thing and something really bad happens to them. Leave it at that.
Old Jul 28, 2018 | 9:12 am
5 Years on Site

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond for Life
Maybe the person at the subject of this matter is on this site?
RogerD408 likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2018 | 9:25 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by jmail1
Thanks for the replies everyone, as for the why, because they are a very kind family that teaches their kids to respect adults. I agree that at that age some kids have the ability to comprehend what's happening, but others just view things with a bit more naive eye. We're getting to the point where more and more kids that age are willing to confront adults, but thankfully we're not to a point where it is the norm. I know it's a fine line when you are getting taken advantage of but I could go on for days about the entitlement of kids today. I have to hire them and they come in thinking they should be allowed to run the company in their third week.

They didn't make a big to-do about how much the seat upgrades were so I doubt the kids understood the big difference between PE and Y, even though they'd flown it on the way out. It was there first trip out of the country, and at that age neither of them would have been worse for wear having to sit in Y for that long, especially on a flight with WiFi while they could text there friends.

This is 100% about that guy, not about getting anything further from AA directly. AA went above and beyond, and I (and he) agrees that anything further regarding compensation would be unnecessary. If the Y flight attendant hadn't participated in moving them back to their new Y seats I'd even think giving the additional miles would have been a bit excessive. For the person that commented on her thinking they knew each other and agreed on it that absolutely wasn't the case, she complemented the kids on being kind enough to let a family sit together.
I'm in total agreement with your view.

Generally, I don't think much of people who video things on their phone and then post them online. But in this case, I so wish the parent had videod the discussion between the FA and this guy when the wife and daughter were told to switch back. One thing that could have happened is that this guys face would have been shown online for all to see along with what he had done. Takes 'name and shame' to another level.
Old Jul 28, 2018 | 9:30 am

Programs: AA Gold, Enterprise PLT, Marriott Gold
I firmly agree the CK was devious, a jerk who knew what he was doing here. That being said, as scummy as it is, I do not see how this should be anything more. Barring him using shear physical intimidation or force, I don't feel anything else should come of it. I think it's a little over-sensitive to think anything else is warranted more than a little "piece of the parents mind" and the good ole embarrassing walk of shame back to where you belong, which surely would hurt a DYKWIA's ego that he likely has massive of.
DirtyDan likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2018 | 9:36 am

Originally Posted by jphripjah
Out of curiosity, would you guys put a kid or vulnerable young woman in an aisle seat rather than a window on the grounds that there's less chance of them being groped in an aisle seat?
Yes. Aisle only within easy sight of the FAs - cose to galley. I also want my kid seated in a seat with easy eagress (+ the ability to be familair with exit, etc.) and for peace of mind I want the crew and myslef to know the exact seat number of my kid. I also tend to order a special meal (Asian Veg) as a back-up reason not to move.
Old Jul 28, 2018 | 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
10 Countries Visited20 Years on Site

Programs: American Airlines
What a DB that CK was. The kids said sure because they are kids and were taught to listen to their elders, no different than I was brought up.

The worst part is this is the only incident we are hearing of. God knows how many times this tool has/is doing this to other unsuspecting kids.

This guy is such a cheap F he can't buy MCE or J seats but apparently spends enough to warrant AA's top tier.

Total tool.
Old Jul 28, 2018 | 9:41 am

Unrelated observation from a different point of view.
(I am sure it can all attributed to cultural differences)

Many years ago when watching the first Home-Alone movie, I had wondered what kind of parents put themseleves in business class and kids in inferior economy class. I had just assumed that all parents always compromise themselves to give better things to kids. (i.e. go hungry but give extra slice of bread to kids) So from that point of view, would have had no sympathy for OP. But I now realize that values are different in different cultures even on such minor issues of life. (Have also noticed that fairly common for US/UK parents putting themselves into balcony cabin and kids in dingy interior cabin on cruises).

But to each their own...

edit: Just noticed that couple of others posters have already made similar point earlier today. Glad to see some others feel same way)

Last edited by desi; Jul 28, 2018 at 9:53 am
Old Jul 28, 2018 | 9:50 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
Originally Posted by NeedstoFly
According to the FA, the CK flies weekly between DFW and MAD. Presumably in PE given that's where he was on this flight. Enough to make CK?
Good point! Looks like I was wrong!
Old Jul 28, 2018 | 10:04 am

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Another reason why I say NO to all seat change requests. Interesting that OP’s friend didn’t have him and one child take J on outbound and swap with wife and other child on return. That’s what I would have done.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.