Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

GUIDE to Trip Credit, Flight Credit, Travel Voucher, Gift Card, Refund

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 30, 2023, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lowkeyflyer
Methods to bypass flight credit restrictions (primarily being unable to use them on Basic Economy tickets)

Inspired by United thread wiki: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...redit-ffc.html
Print Wikipost

GUIDE to Trip Credit, Flight Credit, Travel Voucher, Gift Card, Refund

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2023, 2:32 pm

Can I use a trip or flight credit to pay for the additional cost of changing an existing reservation? Or are those only good for new reservations?
Old Aug 9, 2023, 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by lifeisart
I’m very confused by a situation about canceling a ticket booked with trip credits.

I booked a basic economy ticket using TRIP CREDITS. Then I canceled it within a few minutes (i.e. less than 24 hours of purchase) since it said that it was still refundable.

I got an email saying that my refund would be processed and gave me directions for using my “flight credit.” I see in my account under “flight credit” that I have a record locator and ticket number but no information about expiration date, and it just goes to an error page when I click on it.

I call AA since there are no details for my flight credit. The agent said it was is queue for a refund and I will get a FLIGHT CREDIT issued to each person.

I then tried to book a new reservation thinking I had flight credits but it said multiple flight credits cannot be booked online, must call reservations.

I call AA again and the agent was confused so she inquired the help desk and they said no refund. I told her I canceled the tickets within a couple minutes of booking and she went back to the help desk and then she said it will be refunded as a new TRIP CREDIT in 20 days.

What is correct? Will I be getting flight credits for the refund or trip credits? And do trip credits take 20 days to be issued?

Thank you!
Originally Posted by hand_solo
Something similar happened to me previously. I had booked a flight with Trip Credit. But AA had to reschedule the flight due to bad weather. I elected to cancel instead, and automatically got Flight Credit back. I had to contact AA customer service, and explained the situation. They then reissued the credit as a Trip Credit. It was pretty much immediate though.
So, my similar experiences today. Very close in I had to cancel a departure date of the 8th, but uncertain if I'd be able to leave the 9th or the 10th. I came up with the (less than) Brillant plan of using soon to expire Trip Credits to book both days. For the flight on the 9th, I had to add about $40.00 onto the $700 Trip Credit to complete the purchase. That Trip Credit was expiring Sept 30, 2023.

The 8/9 flight, I booked on 8/6, the confirmation email is timestamped received 1156pm EDT, but the ticket actually says booked 8/7. Very odd & have no idea why that happened. Because of this however, when I canceled on 8/8, the system didn't treat it as a simple Trip Credit - Reissue, but instead as a 24 refund. (Confirmed later by an agent.)

My confirmation email for the cancellation said I'd be receiving a flight credit. For the evening of 8/8, and though 6-7am this morning, the Flight Credit was showing in my account. Only at the top level with the record locator and a new expiration date that was odd and didn't correlate to a date that made sense (Nov 15, 2023). However, when I tried to access the supporting docs, with the ticket numbers and refund amounts, kept getting an "access denied" error. Then this morning, I received an email stating the $40 had been refunded to my credit card and my refund was complete. Went back and looked again in my account, and the Flight Credit had vanished.

Called an agent at that point. She told me that despite seeing the Flight Credit briefly, the $700 Trip Credit would be reissued as a Trip Credit. But that because I canceled within 24 hours, it would go to the refunds department, and would be 7-14 business days before showing up in my account. The agent advised never cancelling a Trip or Flight Credit online within 24 hours. She said if I cancelled after 24 hours, a new trip credit for $740 would have been generated immediately. Instead, the $40 went back to my credit card and the trip credit will take weeks to be refunded and reissued to my account. She advised calling and ask for the Credit to be applied to another flight that can be cancelled online later, rather than cancelling online within 24 hours. I asked if the expiration date would still be 9/30 even though I'd lose access for several weeks. She thought it would be reissued for a year later but wasn't sure. She said she couldn't call the Refunds desk to discuss, because they don't open until 9am MST.

So for anyone who's still hanging in there after this long post, I kind of screwed myself by trying to be a good guy and get the flight back into the system as soon as I knew I wouldn't take it. But the whole 24 scenario with the Flight & Trip credit was new to me. It seemed like the agent was giving me sage guidance for the future, to either wait to cancel past the 24-hour point, or if must cancel prior, call to cancel and have the credit reapplied. If you then cancel that flight after the 24-hour point online, you'll still have your Trip Credit available weeks sooner.

Oh - and post-note - I did recall later today that any time I cancel a partner award ticket, the tax payment shows up processing as a Flight Credit for 12-24 hours, and then just vanishes. That was probably the same case with the 24 hour refund briefly showing up this way, before the additional $$ were sent back to my credit card.
hand_solo and ghsbass0406 like this.
Old Aug 9, 2023, 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by italdesign
I was told by multiple AAgents the FC resulting from my ex-US flight can only be used for ex-US flights. This seems to fit what I heard in another case where a credit from Vietnam-to-US ticket likely cannot be applied to an ex-US ticket (granted, that was with UA).

Sound right?
Originally Posted by cmtlatitudes
I thought I was told differently by the last agent I spoke with -- but not completely sure. I've only tried to used flight credits for ex-USA flights recently that I recall. Mainly because you can't use Trip Credits from a majority of international origins.

That said, I do know exactly what you're referring to. I used to run into that limitation from time to time but never did figure out what the trigger actually was. It didn't always seem consistent, even across origins.
I asked the agent I was speaking with this morning about this. She said that used to be the policy, that a Flight Credit was only good to reuse from the departure country of origin. However, that AA has since eased up on this restriction, and Flights Credit may now be used anywhere AA travels.

YMMV and HUCA is your friend.

At one point the agent kind of laughed and said she has to recheck things all the time because they change so often. I was actually sorry I wasn't asked to stay online and rate the service; I'd have given her high marks. She did seem fairly knowledgeable, but it's harder to know these days.
italdesign likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2023, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Are there more DPs on AA finally only issues Trip Credit now?

Back in June we changed a refundable place holder booked with Trip Credit of one passenger to an actual trip, and used some of the residual value to book an other passenger on the same trip but of course different PNR. At that time AA itinerary not only involved a connection while other airlines DL and B6 are direct flight, but also about $20 more expensive. However we really wanted to use up the AA credit so we booked AA.

Now DL’s direct flight still is $20 cheaper but it also has a 7.5K Main Cabin Award versus the $137 AA ticket with connected flight. I went ahead to book the DL award and would cancel the AA tickets booked as 2 PNRs. The recent DP about getting Trip Credit back on voluntary cancellation is encouraging - because Trip Credit can be used to book anyone and can be used up to 8 per itinerary.

The return direction is currently booked as a DL award but 12K Main Cabin. AA flights currently have poor time. I guess schedule would not change for Mid Oct which is not yet in Winter schedule yet? Else I can use the credit to book AA for the return and cancel the DL award.

OT, DL as bad as it’s Skypeso reputation, it does have better domestic award prices than AA on many of the 3 or below fly time flights.
Old Aug 13, 2023, 12:21 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Priority Pass
On 9/25/22 I booked a ticket for $183; I cancelled this trip in February. I applied the $183 flight credit + $1.30 (credit card) to book a new trip on 5/25/23. It's looking like I'll need to cancel that trip as well. If I cancel that trip, a) what kind of credit will I receive, and b) what will the expiration date be?

My main question is whether the expiration/travel by date of the original $183 flight credit will be reset by having applied it to a new ticket.
Old Aug 13, 2023, 1:58 pm

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
Originally Posted by ANC RED-EYE
On 9/25/22 I booked a ticket for $183; I cancelled this trip in February. I applied the $183 flight credit + $1.30 (credit card) to book a new trip on 5/25/23. It's looking like I'll need to cancel that trip as well. If I cancel that trip, a) what kind of credit will I receive, and b) what will the expiration date be?

My main question is whether the expiration/travel by date of the original $183 flight credit will be reset by having applied it to a new ticket.
Probably 9/25, per AA's rules, but it's inconsistent, perhaps by design.
ANC RED-EYE likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2023, 5:28 am

Programs: Free agent AAdvantage LT GLD
changed AUS-TPA J to a cheaper flt a few days earlier and got trip credit #1 for ~$130
canceled AUS-LIR-AUS Y because the same flts dropped by ~$200 and received trip credit #2 for ~$700
used up trip credit #1 and part of #2 to rebook the same LIR flts for $500 and had to call in to use the trip credits
agent just wanted to use trip credit #2 for the rebooking but I told her I thought it would be simpler if I only had 1 trip credit remaining after this transaction
agent thought this was odd but went ahead and used up trip credit #1 and part of trip credit #2 and issued me trip credit #3 for the remaining amount

is trip credit #3 only valid for ex-US travel? I'm not sure if these were ever flight credits as the emails I received from AA called them trip credits

(data point) related to another discussion in this thread I canceled an award ticket booked via AA but with all BA flights within 24 hours and the miles were redeposited immediately and the co-pay refunded a few days later without me having to do anything
Happy likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2023, 1:37 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Priority Pass
Originally Posted by ANC RED-EYE

Reporting back for anyone who ends up in a similar situation. I did end up canceling this ticket, and a trip credit in the full amount expiring 1 year from the date of cancellation was issued immediately (received via email).
Old Aug 21, 2023, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am confused on what kind of credit I should get.

In June we changed a fully refundale ticket for my husband at the AA Ft. Lauderdale office to a new itinerary traveling in Sept and with Main Cabin nonrefundable fare. Eventually we decided to fly the non-stop DL flight instead of a connection at CLT. Today I went in his account to cancel this ticket. AA website confirmed the cancellation with email. In the email it said AA issued a Flight Credit versus a Trip Credit like above reported DPs.

In his account when clicking on the Travel Credit in his account, there is only the Pop Up showing Flight Credit (with the "ticket number" and Record Locator) without the amount or expiration date. When clicked on the blue "View Credit" box, it brought up an error message.

I thought AA finally has stopped issuing Flight Credit and now only Travel Credit is issued? Or it would take a day or two before the Flight Credit became Trip Credit because right now you could not "View Credit". It only gave the info on the "Ticket Number" which is the "Voucher Number" and the originally ticket issued date which I assume would be the starting date of the one year clock.

It is so confusing trying to learn AA's system. We could not wait for the days we finally use up all the AA credits then we dont have to pay AA's higher fares / less convenient schedule from South Florida. Sigh.
Old Aug 21, 2023, 6:06 pm

Programs: AA Advantage; Hilton Honors
I am having to cancel a nonrefundable main cabin ticket. According to all I have read, I will receive a trip credit dated from the original date of issuance of the ticket.

I will likely be using the trip credit to book another ticket in the next few weeks, but it will be a less expensive ticket.

Am I correct in assuming that I will receive another trip credit for the residual amount, with the original date of issuance?

Thanks.
Old Aug 21, 2023, 7:27 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by williamc
I am having to cancel a nonrefundable main cabin ticket. According to all I have read, I will receive a trip credit dated from the original date of issuance of the ticket.

I will likely be using the trip credit to book another ticket in the next few weeks, but it will be a less expensive ticket.

Am I correct in assuming that I will receive another trip credit for the residual amount, with the original date of issuance?

Thanks.
Yes. If you're entitled to receive a trip credit and you don't use all of it on the next trip you will receive another one with the remaining credit.
williamc likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2023, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is strange. I canceled my own ticket which was booked with the residual value from my husband's changed itinerary on the old refundable.
I received AA cancellation email with this wording -

Your trip was canceled on August 22, 2023 at 11:38 AM (CT). You still have remaining trip credit for use on future travel. You will receive a separate email shortly with your trip credit details.

So my canceled ticket results to a Trip Credit, although as of now, almost 12 hours later I still have not received "the separate email with your trip credit details". Since Trip Credit supposedly has one year validity from issuance, there is no hurry to get it now since I believe if it does not come automatically, I can go thru the "request refund" service to get it.

So, for the background, and future reference, should anyone still needs to figure out how AA issues Travel Credit, below was what happened

My husband had a place holder fully refundable ticket booked in January. We finally could use an AA itinerary (though eventually decided to use DL direct flight instead) for a Mid Sept travel. We went to Ft. Lauderdale ticket office to do the itinerary change. The agent at the ticket office changed his old refundable to the new itinerary (Main) then booked me on the same itinerary different PNR, with the residual value, with still a residual value paper voucher issued. I now believe the better way to do it might be to simply cancel the old fully refundable which should result to a Trip Credit because the original ticket was a fully refundable. Then used that Trip Credit to book 2 passengers on the same PNR. We might just bite the bullet to fly this 1-stop route versus DL's nonstop (and better time). We have the needs to board together. He has lowly gold I am a peon. Separate PNRs make boarding process awkward.

Originally Posted by Happy
I am confused on what kind of credit I should get.

In June we changed a fully refundale ticket for my husband at the AA Ft. Lauderdale office to a new itinerary traveling in Sept and with Main Cabin nonrefundable fare. Eventually we decided to fly the non-stop DL flight instead of a connection at CLT. Today I went in his account to cancel this ticket. AA website confirmed the cancellation with email. In the email it said AA issued a Flight Credit versus a Trip Credit like above reported DPs.

In his account when clicking on the Travel Credit in his account, there is only the Pop Up showing Flight Credit (with the "ticket number" and Record Locator) without the amount or expiration date. When clicked on the blue "View Credit" box, it brought up an error message.

I thought AA finally has stopped issuing Flight Credit and now only Travel Credit is issued? Or it would take a day or two before the Flight Credit became Trip Credit because right now you could not "View Credit". It only gave the info on the "Ticket Number" which is the "Voucher Number" and the originally ticket issued date which I assume would be the starting date of the one year clock.

It is so confusing trying to learn AA's system. We could not wait for the days we finally use up all the AA credits then we dont have to pay AA's higher fares / less convenient schedule from South Florida. Sigh.
Old Aug 24, 2023, 7:57 pm

What's AA's latest policy on converting flight credit to trip credit?

It's been hard for me to keep track of what AA allows in terms of exchanging the value of a flight credit for a trip credit. Last March, I cancelled a trip and the AA agent and supervisor insisted that it's impossible to use the credit I received to book a flight for my mother because it was a flight credit, not a trip credit. This seemed weird because, for the past year, any cancelled flight was automatically converted to a trip credit right after cancelling. Today, I cancelled a flight and was pleasantly surprised to see that AA had automatically converted it to a trip credit, just as they had during COVID. Does anyone know if there's any rhyme or reason to this?? Has AA adopted a new position on whether they'll exchange a flight credit for trip credit? Thank you!
Old Aug 25, 2023, 1:44 am

Programs: DL PLAT and 2MM;AA EXP;MR GOLD;PC Gold
A recent experience

Just 4 days ago, I cancelled a ticket. It briefly existed in the TRAVEL CREDIT section as a FLIGHT CREDIT and a few hours later was reclassified as a TRIP CREDIT. This was great, because the TC is usable for a year from issuance. As you probably know, a FC was valid for travel only up until one year from the cancelled tix' issue date.

As an aside, some months ago, an EXP agent told me they were moving to TC exclusively. So much time elapsed, I had decided that was not going to happen. It was a pleasant surprise.
repoetic likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2023, 9:28 am
S80

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, QR Gold, UA 1K, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by repoetic
It's been hard for me to keep track of what AA allows in terms of exchanging the value of a flight credit for a trip credit. Last March, I cancelled a trip and the AA agent and supervisor insisted that it's impossible to use the credit I received to book a flight for my mother because it was a flight credit, not a trip credit. This seemed weird because, for the past year, any cancelled flight was automatically converted to a trip credit right after cancelling. Today, I cancelled a flight and was pleasantly surprised to see that AA had automatically converted it to a trip credit, just as they had during COVID. Does anyone know if there's any rhyme or reason to this?? Has AA adopted a new position on whether they'll exchange a flight credit for trip credit? Thank you!
The last time I asked (a few months ago), they wouldn't convert. I've had cancelled trips recently that have turned into trip credits, and others that stay as flight credits, and there doesn't seem to be a reason why.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.