Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

GUIDE to Trip Credit, Flight Credit, Travel Voucher, Gift Card, Refund

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 30, 2023, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lowkeyflyer
Methods to bypass flight credit restrictions (primarily being unable to use them on Basic Economy tickets)

Inspired by United thread wiki: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...redit-ffc.html
Print Wikipost

GUIDE to Trip Credit, Flight Credit, Travel Voucher, Gift Card, Refund

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2023, 4:03 pm

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
Originally Posted by Bradhattan
  • A RT paid with probably a previous credit and topped off with cash - FLIGHT credit issued - no details. When I go to AA.com and follow the prompts including entering last name and ticket number, it says there is a credit but offers no details. It just says we have issued you a flight credit.
Am I just impatient and it will take a while to push through AA's IT? Is it an error in the system that a flight credit was issued vs trip credit? Is it due to me using "two" forms of payment for the RT ticket? Or do I simply use the old ticket # when purchasing a new fare and it will deduct the value of previous ticket? Thanks for any input!
It might stay in that state for weeks or months. You'll probably have to call in to get the exact value(s) and/or to use it to re-book.
deeruck likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2023, 6:27 am

Flight credit tied to ticket number

Several months ago, I flew the outbound LHR-RDU, but canceled the return. Instead of getting a traditional flight or trip credit, the credit it stored against that specific ticket number and rules. In trying to use the return 'credit' it seems as if it's 100% restricted to USA-LHR. Any thoughts on what would happen if I booked USA-LHR, and then canceled? Would it tie back to the original ticket number and fare rules, or would a new flexible credit be issued?
Old Oct 1, 2023, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dave_261
Several months ago, I flew the outbound LHR-RDU, but canceled the return. Instead of getting a traditional flight or trip credit, the credit it stored against that specific ticket number and rules. In trying to use the return 'credit' it seems as if it's 100% restricted to USA-LHR. Any thoughts on what would happen if I booked USA-LHR, and then canceled? Would it tie back to the original ticket number and fare rules, or would a new flexible credit be issued?
Here are one way AA fares ex-LHR to RDU (all of them).

Here are the first dozen+ fares ex-LHR to RDU (all have a roundtrip booking requirement). Notice the difference? You bought fares with a roundtrip travel requirement. In order to meet those terms, you need to fly back from US to EU. If you attempt to use credit for something else, they will reprice outbound fare as a one-way fare with no credit left. If there was a "hack" way around this, there would basically be no point in having separate one-way and roundtrip fares.

USFlyerUS and hhdl like this.
Old Oct 1, 2023, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by dave_261
You could probably also change it to anywhere in Europe. I've done exactly the same thing a few times, flying outbound segment of a EU>US roundtrip and canceling the return. There's really no way to get any value out of the cancelled segment unless you rebook a similar return portion from the US>EU. If you book and cancel again it will go back on another flight credit.

The only thing you can try is to just rebook the return portion on a random date way out in the future, then hope for a big enough schedule change that would let you cancel for a refund.
ZenFlyer likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2023, 10:08 am

Thanks for the responses. I spent time with AA earlier trying various alternatives. I actually am trying to go RDU-CDG, but if I look at something like RDU-JFK-CDG, or even if I go RDU-LHR-CDG (to get the LHR segment in), it's breaking the ticket and causing the fare to skyrocket.

The only logical option they suggested would be RDU-LHR (either the non-stop or connection), and then a separate ticket to CDG.

I like the idea of booking a flight which could have a schedule change.
Old Oct 1, 2023, 2:55 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro
I chatted with an agent on the website who confirmed value of flight credit for me
Old Oct 1, 2023, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You can't get a one way for half the round trip price (unless the one way is actually half the RT, which is unlikely for TATL flights) You can't "beat the system" by buying a round trip and cancelling the return (or everyone would do it). I'm not sure if that was your intent or not, but in any case, they can't allow it.

As far as I know, if you want credit that you can use for anything, you need them to reprice what you flew as a one way, and you can get credit for what's left over, but it probably won't be much...

The reason that it's skyrocketing is probably that the fare you got was only available from / to LHR, and the fare from/to CDG was much higher. They need to rafare your ticket to what you actually fly. They will use historical fares (at the time of purchase) to do so. If you have access to historical fares, you might be able to poke around and see what's possible.
Old Oct 1, 2023, 9:51 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75K, CX Green
A flight credit is basically an open ticket... nothing more, nothing less.

You bought LHR-RDU rt, flew the outbound, and canceled the booking for RDU-LHR. Now you have an open ticket for RDU-LHR (which AA calls a flight credit). You can change that RDU-LHR ticket however you like, subject to fare rules and conditions. Cancelling the reservation prevents you from being marked as a no-show, but otherwise has no impact to what is your credit, where you can use it, etc.

That being said, if it's not a full fare ticket, you can probably change it to any transatlantic flight from RDU, or any flight from the Americas to LHR, due to AA fare combination rules (no double open jaw, open jaw must be less than the longest flown fare component, etc).
Old Oct 1, 2023, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

FWIW, getting from London to Paris is cheap and easy. You don't have to fly. It may not be a terrible idea. Even if you can find something "better", is it worth several hours of your time trying to find it? Obviously only you can answer that but I would at least consider it an an option.
ZenFlyer and hhdl like this.
Old Oct 1, 2023, 11:31 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
I think there a lot of fares which don’t allow combination U.K.-US-EU, which is likely why the price is higher than you’re expecting. Origin side open jaw within the EU (or really the continent I think) is often fine - it’s the U.K.market where fares have got different routing rules.
Old Oct 5, 2023, 6:30 am

Programs: AA ExecPlat
AA Hardship Refunds/Credits?

Let me start this by saying, yes, I could have bought insurance. I get it.

I have several exceptionally expensive international tickets on AA that I may need to cancel due to a health emergency. I'll spare the details, but a key traveler in the party may not be able to travel due to a devastating diagnosis/treatment requirements. Tickets were bought in February/March for travel in December.

If I understand the policy correctly, AA will allow me to reuse the tickets so long as travel occurs within a year of purchase. Does anyone know if AA will bend that policy for compelling reasons? Maybe turn it into a gift card type thing with no expiry? Other options?

I'll conclude with how I started. Yes, I could have bought insurance. I didn't. I'm not saying AA owes me anything. I'm asking what the experiences are with AA if there is a legitimate hardship preventing use of the ticket.
Old Oct 5, 2023, 7:22 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
You could try and submit the details to AA, it doesn't cost you anything. Maybe your message will reach someone that has been in similar situation and will side with you. Stranger things have happened before. With that said, the gift card thing certainly is no go. Good luck and speedy recovery.
Old Oct 5, 2023, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott LT Plat | Hyatt Discoverist
If the credit is a flight credit, You can also write to AA Customer Relations and see if they'll convert it to a trip credit.

With a trip credit, you or others can use it as well. Not a refund, but it's transferable.
karenkay likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2023, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

When you cancel, you get a flight credit is good for a year. If you use any part of that flight credit you get the remainder in a trip credit that is good for another year. So, while you have a year to use all the money, you can "start the clock" on that year any time within the original expiration date.

In other words, say you cancel and get a flight credit that expires in October 2024. You can wait until July 2024 to start to use it, and then you will get a trip credit that is good until July 2025 for the remainder, giving you a full year (July 2024 - July 2025) to use it all.

If that's not sufficient, write to customer care (through the web form), explain the situation, and ask if they can do something to give you a longer expiration. I've had good luck with them "bending" the rules for me in the past.
Antarius and cyberkarl like this.
Old Oct 5, 2023, 10:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
When you cancel, you get a flight credit is good for a year. If you use any part of that flight credit you get the remainder in a trip credit that is good for another year. So, while you have a year to use all the money, you can "start the clock" on that year any time within the original expiration date.

In other words, say you cancel and get a flight credit that expires in October 2024. You can wait until July 2024 to start to use it, and then you will get a trip credit that is good until July 2025 for the remainder, giving you a full year (July 2024 - July 2025) to use it all.

If that's not sufficient, write to customer care (through the web form), explain the situation, and ask if they can do something to give you a longer expiration. I've had good luck with them "bending" the rules for me in the past.
I've had success converting to a trip credit as well when my 92 year old father in law was supposed to come visit, had a health issue that precluded the trip as planned, and then wasn't able to come in the year following the initial visit either. I wrote a letter to customer service through the web form and was able to get the flight credit converted to a trip credit. it's unlikely he'll ever use it, but now someone can and it's not wasted.

good luck, cyberkarl, and speedy healing to your loved one.
cyberkarl likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.