Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

American Airlines’ new emotional support animal (ESA) policy as of 11 Jan 2021

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 5, 2021, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
The US Department if Transportation (the FAA’s parent agency) announced a new policy banning Emotional Support Animals (ESA) onboard December 2, 2020 (link). American Airlines is expected to change it’s policies to conform to the new USDOT / FAA policy.

For general discussion on the new FAA policy, please see the current thread in TravelBuzz (link)

Link to AA Newsroom article regarding AA new ESA policy.

In part:American Airlines today announced forthcoming changes to its policies and procedures for travel with emotional support animals and service animals, aligning with regulations recently issued by the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT). The new policies and procedures are intended to support customers with disabilities and the service animals that travel with them, as well as the team members who work to keep customers safe...

The DOT’s new rule defines a service animal as a dog that is individually trained to do work or perform tasks for the benefit of a qualified individual with a disability — a narrower definition than in the past. When the rule goes into effect Jan. 11, American will no longer authorize new travel for animals that do not meet that definition, such as emotional support animals. Existing bookings involving emotional support animals will be honored through Feb. 1, when the airline’s new policies go into effect.

Starting Feb. 1, to ensure accessible travel for individuals with disabilities while protecting the safety and well-being of customers and team members, American will ask customers traveling with service animals to complete a DOT form attesting to the dog’s behavior, training and health. The airline will require this form to be submitted electronically 48 hours in advance of a flight, unless the reservation is booked within 48 hours of travel. A service animal’s authorization will be valid for one year or until the expiration of its vaccinations.

Animals that previously traveled as emotional support animals and no longer qualify as service animals may travel as carry-on pets or as cargo pets, as long as they meet the requirements.

American is reaching out to customers who are expected to be impacted by these changes. The service animal forms, along with additional details about the airline’s new policy, will be available on aa.com in the coming days.
For this new thread, a reminder to all:

MODERATOR GUIDEPOST: This thread is strictly moderated and limited to practical discussion of new AA policies regarding psychiatric and emotional support animals and personal experiences on / relating to AA specifically. This is not the forum to discuss general flying animal issues (e.g. whether or not animals should be permitted in cabins, what constitutes a service animal or an emotional support animal, personal anecdotes about falsely documented ESA, etc.) Please direct those broader discussions to the appropriate forum.

Posts with referrals to sites offering spurious ESA documents, discussion best suited to OMNI, attacks against members or those with ESA / PSA meeting the AA guidelines, among others, will be considered dilatory to this and will be subject to summary deletion.
This thread is purely about practical matters regarding the transport of ESA / PSA animals by American Airlines.

Thanks,

/Moderator

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2015, 3:34 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis

For this new thread, a reminder to all:

MODERATOR GUIDEPOST: This thread is strictly moderated and limited to practical discussion of new AA policies regarding psychiatric and emotional support animals and personal experiences on / relating to AA specifically. This is not the forum to discuss general flying animal issues (e.g. whether or not animals should be permitted in cabins, what constitutes a service animal or an emotional support animal, personal anecdotes about falsely documented ESA, etc.) Please direct those broader discussions to the appropriate forum.

Posts with referrals to sites offering spurious ESA documents, discussion best suited to OMNI, attacks against members or those with ESA / PSA meeting the AA guidelines, among others, will be considered dilatory to this and will be subject to summary deletion.
This thread is purely about practical matters regarding the transport of ESA / PSA animals by American Airlines.

Thanks,

/Moderator
Old Jan 5, 2021, 7:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
AA has followed AS: Newsroom - American Airlines Announces Changes to Policies for Travel with Emotional Support Animals, Service Animals - American Airlines Group, Inc.

Last edited by JDiver; Jan 5, 2021 at 8:17 pm Reason: Delete quoted post to start a new thread
Old Jan 5, 2021, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I'm impressed that you posted this on
Jan 19, 15, 5:34 pm
Can you tell us the 2023 AA program changes?
ksucats, roadtriper and cmd320 like this.
Old Jan 5, 2021, 10:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by CPRich

Whatever they are, I'm pretty sure that at this rate they still include a turkey-havarti-arugula sandwich.
Old Jan 6, 2021, 5:55 am

Programs: AA EXP, 2 Million Miler
Originally Posted by CPRich

That time and date has to do with his FT profile, not the posting.
Old Jan 6, 2021, 10:59 am

There are a couple of interesting details regarding the DOT rule change and how AA is applying them. Changes only come into effect beginning Feb 1 for all existing reservations and really only to the Emotional Support Animal/Psychiatric Service Dog category. There is no real material change to the Trained Service Dog procedures. I was on the phone with Special Services earlier and the agent didn't seem to grasp the difference. I had previously read through the entire DOT rule change and thought that the Handler Attestation form would be used for Trained Service Dog but I'm not seeing that on the AA website document. The ESA/PSD category has required documents/attestations that need to be approved and uploaded prior to flight. This will be an annual procedure based on vaccination dates and issued an ID number for future flights. Trained service dogs are not subject to this regimen but they do ask for advanced notice.
Old Jan 6, 2021, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by robertablake
It's definitely in the time and date spot for the post itself, not the original date of sign up in the profile...
ksucats and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Jan 6, 2021, 12:06 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by robertablake
I think the mod may have edited an existing post.
I will guess that mods don't get the "Edited" time stamp.

In any case.
Anything the airline does to stop the ESA policy abuse is welcome.

Unfortunately, people will always find a way around it, fake docs or lie. Like that pax that knew had covid symptons and boarded anyway (lied in his declaration); flight was diverted, man died (unclear to me if onboard or at the hospital) - (google united isaias hernandez)
allset2travel likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2021, 12:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
As a practical matter, AA has simplified the procedures for the legitimate use of the rule and not gone overboard in dealing with the potential that there are fraudsters out there. There always have been and always will be and some will be caught out and some will not.
Old Jan 24, 2021, 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by carlosdca
In any case. Anything the airline does to stop the ESA policy abuse is welcome.
Yeah so about that. People who "abuse" rules because they're just rude, or don't care about others? Bad. I agree.

How about snub nosed breed dog owners who have to fly to places surrounded by water? You see, policies like this need to be thought through. We were already in a horrible situation prior to this ridiculous ruling. Now its been made a law.

What was the situation? Well snub nose breed dogs (frenchies, english bulldogs, pugs, etc) are NOT ALLOWED to fly in baggage area because they overheat and might die. I wont even get into the fact that all-breed dogs die in the hundreds (thousands?) yearly because airlines and tarmac personnel are hardly qualified to care for animals.

But we were already screwed and forced to get "emotional support" certification because we physically were incapable of flying with our pets due to the snub-nose rule. We weren't "abusing" it. We were just stuck in a situation that had no options.

1. They weren't allowed in the baggage area
2. They weren't allowed in the cabin

So we had to get Emotional Support approval.

So you may say "Why MUST you fly with your pet?" Save that for the people mentioned above. The ones who break rules for convenience sake. I am required / forced to relocate to, and live in Puerto Rico multiple times per year. Its an island. There is physically no other way for me to get my one family member there (my english bulldog), than by plane. And to be completely candid, there is no way in hell I would let him out of my sight and trust a bunch of randoms or stuff him in a fricken baggage compartment for 9 hours through 3 airports either.

So what are we supposed to do now? Canoe from Miami?

I called American and they said they still accept emotional support animals. You just have to pay $125. Oh and by the way, he has to fit under the F'ing seat in front of me IN a crate. LOL!! I can't even fit my FEET under the seat. What dog would fit down there, let alone in a crate??? This is a ridiculous, poorly thought out ruling that is going to cause massive problems when people get wind of it.

How about airlines get certified as animal caretakers and be forced by law to have climate controlled sections on planes where animals are cared for at room temperature by a live person? Nahhhh ..... shove them in baggage and let them die in their crates as they sit out in the blistering sun on the runway next to the suitcases (like hundreds do every year).

Ridiculous.

Last edited by FlyerBurger; Jan 24, 2021 at 10:38 pm
Old Jan 25, 2021, 12:48 am

Originally Posted by FlyerBurger
I am required / forced to relocate to, and live in Puerto Rico multiple times per year.
The DOT rule doesn't require AA to ban ESAs, it just permits AA to do so. I think Southwest still allows ESAs. Fly Southwest. This is precisely the kind of problem that the market can regulate well, and it would be great for folks like me who don't want your dogs in the cabin (unless they're in a crate under the seat and stay there), if an airline like Southwest decided to be the carrier that allowed ESAs.
Old Jan 25, 2021, 6:09 am

I am required / forced to relocate to, and live in Puerto Rico multiple times per year.
Are you in the military? I'm not sure how anyone can be forced to move to Puerto Rico multiple times a year.

I understand your frustration since I have a snub-nosed dog as well, but life is all about choices.
Old Jan 25, 2021, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Yeah so about that. People who "abuse" rules because they're just rude, or don't care about others? Bad. I agree.

How about snub nosed breed dog owners who have to fly to places surrounded by water? You see, policies like this need to be thought through. We were already in a horrible situation prior to this ridiculous ruling. Now its been made a law.

What was the situation? Well snub nose breed dogs (frenchies, english bulldogs, pugs, etc) are NOT ALLOWED to fly in baggage area because they overheat and might die. I wont even get into the fact that all-breed dogs die in the hundreds (thousands?) yearly because airlines and tarmac personnel are hardly qualified to care for animals.

But we were already screwed and forced to get "emotional support" certification because we physically were incapable of flying with our pets due to the snub-nose rule. We weren't "abusing" it. We were just stuck in a situation that had no options.

So you may say "Why MUST you fly with your pet?" Save that for the people mentioned above. The ones who break rules for convenience sake. I am required / forced to relocate to, and live in Puerto Rico multiple times per year. Its an island. There is physically no other way for me to get my one family member there (my english bulldog), than by plane. And to be completely candid, there is no way in hell I would let him out of my sight and trust a bunch of randoms or stuff him in a fricken baggage compartment for 9 hours through 3 airports either.

So what are we supposed to do now? Canoe from Miami?

I called American and they said they still accept emotional support animals. You just have to pay $125. Oh and by the way, he has to fit under the F'ing seat in front of me IN a crate. LOL!! I can't even fit my FEET under the seat. What dog would fit down there, let alone in a crate??? This is a ridiculous, poorly thought out ruling that is going to cause massive problems when people get wind of it.

How about airlines get certified as animal caretakers and be forced by law to have climate controlled sections on planes where animals are cared for at room temperature by a live person? Nahhhh ..... shove them in baggage and let them die in their crates as they sit out in the blistering sun on the runway next to the suitcases (like hundreds do every year).

Ridiculous.
So, basically you are saying you were claiming your pet as an emotional support animal?
When you obtained the pet, did you know you would have to make these forced trips to PR?
Old Jan 25, 2021, 9:56 am

I am required / forced to relocate to, and live in Puerto Rico multiple times per year. Its an island. There is physically no other way for me to get my one family member there (my english bulldog), than by plane..
There's this wonderful thing called "boarding your pet" that we discovered. When we have to travel, our dog goes to the kennel where he is looked after and cared for by people trained to do that, INSTEAD of traveling with us. If you can't board your pet or find someone to care for him or her while you're gone so you don't have this quandary of "my pet must accompany me at all times", then perhaps you don't have a compatible lifestyle to be a dog owner. Not trying to be a jerk, just saying get a cat or a different dog breed that can withstand the air transport in cargo and comply with the rules. Boarding your pet is expensive, like $40 a day. If you can't afford it, don't blame the airline for the choice you made. There's lots of breeds of dogs; it's your responsibility to pick one that can travel the way airlines work if you must travel with a dog. I'm sure you can find someone who'll adopt your non-shippable snub nose breed dog.

We weren't "abusing" it. We were just stuck in a situation that had no options.
2. They weren't allowed in the cabin.
Option 3: BOARD YOUR PET AT HOME and don't take them with you at all. Simple. It's not AA's problem.

Last edited by LovePrunes; Jan 25, 2021 at 10:24 am
Old Jan 25, 2021, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
In the very same post you admitted to abusing the old rules:

No you didn't.
robertablake likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.