Wiki Posts
Search

Alcohol announcements in cabin

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2021 | 7:37 pm
15 Years on Site

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by Antarius
All which happened during the lack of alcohol sales.

If AA was selling alcohol and then this started happening, then sure. But not what's happening.
I've had this argument so many times with people. Every one of them that is against drinking simply refuses to understand that alcohol went away in early 2020, and the uptick in "air rage" incidents started towards the very end of 2020. Clearly, alcohol is not the problem (and perhaps it is even part of the solution) but logic falls on deaf ears with that crowd.
Old Sep 28, 2021 | 7:41 pm
Original Poster
FlyerTalk Evangelist
10 Countries Visited20 Years on Site

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by bchandler02
I've had this argument so many times with people. Every one of them that is against drinking simply refuses to understand that alcohol went away in early 2020, and the uptick in "air rage" incidents started towards the very end of 2020. Clearly, alcohol is not the problem (and perhaps it is even part of the solution) but logic falls on deaf ears with that crowd.

blame the mask not the booze.
Old Sep 28, 2021 | 7:53 pm
50 Countries Visited5M100 Nights15 Years on Site

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
I don't think that anyone is drawing a direct between the chaos and alcohol, but it seems pretty obvious why airlines might not want to increase the amount of alcohol available while on board given that the amount of existing disruptive behaviour seems so many times greater than usual at the moment. While I am a very cheerful and relaxed drunk, it is not controversial to say that alcohol overall might be expected to make frayed tempers worse.

Without going down a tangent, I'm really not sure that we can "blame masks" for the amount of Americans getting violent on flights at the moment, seeing as it isn't an issue in any other country in the world (where masks on flights are almost universally enforced) and indeed seems to specifically be people with certain political views. But yeah, I'm not going to go any further down that route as we've all seen footage from Miami over the last weeks to see where that goes.
Old Sep 28, 2021 | 8:56 pm
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited15 Years on Site

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Originally Posted by enviroian
Noticed recently AA has added some announcements in addition to the normal federal mandate for mask wearing. I cant remember verbatim but its something to the effect that bringing alcohol on board and self serving it to yourself is prohibited.

Maybe if they brought back alcohol sales and stop using covid as a cheapness excuse (dont forget F class passengers are immune to covid as alcohol is available) that announcement wouldnt be needed.
Not AA specifically but I do recall hearing this on AC recently. Also on an AC flight INTL I asked for a vodka (in Y, which they had before) I was told they only had wine and beer due to covid. I'm not sure exactly how covid affects alcohol selection. I'm happy to abide by covid rules all over the place, but I'm quite tired of using covid as an excuse for EVERYTHING. It's not some catch-all to solve all your problems or excuse away cost cutting. Not just the airline industry, but all over the place.
corky, Madison Guy, wrp96 and 6 others like this.
Old Sep 28, 2021 | 9:14 pm
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited10 Years on Site

blame the mask not the booze.
I tend to agree a bit.

Bottom line: People dont like to be bossed around

So many rules / announcements

People have to agree to mask mandate when they buy a ticket, then the pilot makes an announcement, then there are multiple announcements during boarding, then another one, then a final mask check. Even I (compliant) wanted to scream, "Got it! Wear a f******* mask". But, its like a pissing match between the flight crew and the passengers. Wear a mask, wear a mask, I dare you do not wear a mark, do you understand what happens when you dont wear a mask, we are walking through to ensure make compliance.

Stop patronizing me. Ive been doing this for two years.

Do they constantly harass people about where their closest emergency exit is? Would probably save more lives in the long run. Just sayin'
Old Sep 28, 2021 | 9:22 pm
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited5 Years on Site

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by sdfamily
I tend to agree a bit.

Bottom line: People dont like to be bossed around

So many rules / announcements

People have to agree to mask mandate when they buy a ticket, then the pilot makes an announcement, then there are multiple announcements during boarding, then another one, then a final mask check. Even I (compliant) wanted to scream, "Got it! Wear a f******* mask". But, its like a pissing match between the flight crew and the passengers. Wear a mask, wear a mask, I dare you do not wear a mark, do you understand what happens when you dont wear a mask, we are walking through to ensure make compliance.

Stop patronizing me. Ive been doing this for two years.

Do they constantly harass people about where their closest emergency exit is? Would probably save more lives in the long run. Just sayin'
What bothers me the most is the threatening tone and the actual threats of banning you during the announcement. I wear my freaking mask, I am not a child and my money is what pays your salary. Treat me with respect and I will do the same. 🙄
Old Sep 28, 2021 | 9:28 pm
Original Poster
FlyerTalk Evangelist
10 Countries Visited20 Years on Site

Programs: American Airlines
I wonder if other non US airlines are making similar announcements.
Old Sep 28, 2021 | 9:51 pm

Programs: Skywards, QF FF
I wonder if other non US airlines are making similar announcements.
They are.
Old Sep 28, 2021 | 9:52 pm
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited5 Years on Site

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA Gold (*G), DL Silver, Makers Mark Ambassador
AA has become a nightmare. I didn't have any one incident that turned me off to them but slowly, over time, I couldn't justify the attitudes of the flight crew, lack of service, cramming more seats on planes and ripping out the IFE. I've flown exactly 1 flight on AA this year (and even that was on Envoy) and the FA's in F had no problem loading up the wine all while the folks back in coach had to hear the same old mask and alcohol reminders over and over again.

Until DUI Dougie and his crew are out at AA I'll only fly them as a last resort.
bchandler02, banana0692 and becks1 like this.
Old Sep 28, 2021 | 11:28 pm
50 Countries Visited15 Years on Site

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
Rich drunk people in F cause fewer problems than the sober plebs in Y.
Old Sep 28, 2021 | 11:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
I remember pre-Covid, airline FAs (not just AA) would occasionally remind people in their announcements that drinking alcohol not served by a FA was against FAA rules. This might have been more of the case on intl flights than domestic ones, as people on those flights often purchased alcohol at the duty-free shops. But this isn't new.
Old Sep 29, 2021 | 12:34 am
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited10 Years on Site

Programs: AA EXP, 2MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Synapseturquoise
What bothers me the most is the threatening tone and the actual threats of banning you during the announcement. I wear my freaking mask, I am not a child and my money is what pays your salary. Treat me with respect and I will do the same. 🙄
On all of my recent flights I would say the announcements were crisp and firm but nothing that I would characterize as anywhere near threatening. If people are taking announcements like that as threatening then maybe they are too sensitive, or too much its all about ME so dont tell ME what to do attitude. And seeing how many people still seem to ignore the announcements after the first or second time, plus the growing number who actively rebel against them, I for one think that a firm tone is both reasonable and warranted. Too many people acting like children is what is drove them to treat people like children.
dw, aamilesslave, VSLover and 4 others like this.
Old Sep 29, 2021 | 4:01 am
20 Years on Site

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by hbtr
On all of my recent flights I would say the announcements were crisp and firm but nothing that I would characterize as anywhere near “threatening.” If people are taking announcements like that as threatening then maybe they are too sensitive, or too much “it’s all about ME so don’t tell ME what to do” attitude. And seeing how many people still seem to ignore the announcements after the first or second time, plus the growing number who actively rebel against them, I for one think that a firm tone is both reasonable and warranted. Too many people acting like children is what is drove them to treat people like children.
Yes and no. I've seen people on both sides acting poorly. Sure, I don't really find the announcements themselves particularly threatening. But over the last year I've definitely seen FAs on absolute power trips engaging in what I'd consider threatening behavior. For example, watching all the F pax chew their meals and rushing over to passengers who don't raise their masks immediately after taking a single bite and threaten them with going onto a no-fly list if they are caught chewing with their masks lowered. That's a bit over the top, in my mind. It cuts both ways. Treat people with respect and they generally behave better.

-FlyerBeek
Old Sep 29, 2021 | 5:09 am
5 Years on Site

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP. Hilton Diamond
Around three weeks ago on a flight from DFW-STL - AA2901 we had three pax removed before we closed up and taxied out. One was drunk and not wearing his mask after even he was warned in the gate area- he was cursing out loud (yes, F-bombs and the like) and was turned around on the jetway as he approached the aircraft door. For some unknown reason despite the warnings the gate agent still allowed him to attempt to board. FAs got a heads up on him by some pax ahead in the line to get thru the aircraft door and they said nope, no way you're not going to be allowed on board in your current state. That set him off even more. The second was a younger guy who was already boarded that the passenger seated next to him rang the call button because he had his mask down, smelled like booze, and was slurring his speech. He literally stumbled up the aisle on the way out. The third was a passenger who wasn't drunk but repeatedly took his mask down despite several warnings. A fourth potential issue after the door was closed was diffused when the captain walked back to talk to the pax.

I really don't know what's going on with AA but I have not witnessed this on any other airline, or have heard of any other airline having the amount of problems AA is having.
becks1 likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2021 | 6:35 am
15 Years on Site

Programs: UA MM, AA almost MM
It is an FAA rule that alcohol must be served by an FA. It is the same rules for consuming alcohol in restaurants in many states: must be served by a staff. Is the rule there for profits or for crow control? You decide. It is irrelevant. People don't just bring alcohol to restaurants claiming FREEDOM. It was around pre-9/11 when you are allowed to bring pretty much anything on board. I remember bring a six pack of wine on board after a trip to Napa. just imaging some passengers decided that it is they right to consume whatever they have with them.

Air travel involves a lot of people in a very small space which means some rules are need to keep peace. In the last few years some people seems to believe that they "freedom" is more important than people dying from viruses that they might be carrying. It is fine if they want to be infected but they don't have the right to infect others. For those who do not like rules that keep peace in a confined space, they should find a mode of transportation with rules that best suite them. No one is forcing them to fly.

If you want to fly, follow all rules that all of us are subjected to EQUALLY. I like the rules. They keep me safe.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.