Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alcohol announcements in cabin

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2021 | 9:07 am
15 Years on Site

Originally Posted by wakesetter93
As someone who is Dallas based I'd obviously love for American to get it together, start investing in the customer experience and empower their employees in order to increase employee morale. However, with an upcoming move to Austin most of my flights will now have a connection anyway which makes it much more appealing and doable to connect through IAH, DEN, SLC or ATL on UA/DL.

The hope of a one-off upgrade isn't enough to keep me on AA over WN even.
I was back and forth between going with AA and DL after I moved to Dallas but the horror stories RE: AA make me want to go free agent lol. I'll probably end up going with DL though, apparently they'll let me match my OZ status with a challenge and I get SkyClub access when flying DL with my Amex Plat. WN can fill the gaps where DL won't work.

I used to shop IAH, DFW and AUS with international travel but I figure if I'm going to reposition I might as well shop LAX and NYC - they get all the sale fares while we in DFW are stuck with the AA/OW monopoly.
wakesetter93 likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2021 | 9:15 am

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by dvs7310
If passengers want it, they'll get it. Buy some 16 oz bottles of Coke, Dr. Pepper, whatever your persuasion is, get a liter of Vodka or Whiskey inside security (assume this does exist at most domestic airports in the US? Never really looked but it's certainly OK here. You can certainly fill up some 3oz bottles of vodka and put in a plastic ziploc if need be) and pour in your soda bottles before boarding. Flight attendants don't need to see or know you're enjoying your alcohol while flying as long as you can behave like a normal adult human being. Somehow, I drink fairly heavily and have always managed to behave like an adult human on planes, doesn't seem terribly difficult.
Well that works well for monsters that use mixers. Less subtle for those of us that enjoy a nice pure pour
Old Sep 30, 2021 | 9:23 am
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited5 Years on Site

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA Gold (*G), DL Silver, Makers Mark Ambassador
Originally Posted by stupidhead
I was back and forth between going with AA and DL after I moved to Dallas but the horror stories RE: AA make me want to go free agent lol. I'll probably end up going with DL though, apparently they'll let me match my OZ status with a challenge and I get SkyClub access when flying DL with my Amex Plat. WN can fill the gaps where DL won't work.

I used to shop IAH, DFW and AUS with international travel but I figure if I'm going to reposition I might as well shop LAX and NYC - they get all the sale fares while we in DFW are stuck with the AA/OW monopoly.
That's what I did, status match to DL and use the Plat to get SkyClub access. Also, it's nice at DFW flying DL and at DAL to arrve at the same terminal you departed from as far as parking goes (though I wouldn't be making a decision based on that).

I haven't found many great INTL fares out of IAH, DFW or AUS due to the AA/UA hubs and the fact that AUS has limited international destinations. I look at LAX, NYC and even ORD when pricing INTL flights and have had good luck there.
Old Sep 30, 2021 | 9:38 am
5 Years on Site

Originally Posted by 757FO
Alcohol induced air rage has always been an issue, but mask wearing has supplanted that as of recent. The uptick is that non mask wearing is more sexy to report, and supports a narrative on both sides of the political spectrum, hence it being a constant part of the news cycle.

Prior to Covid, I had plenty of alcohol induced issues with passengers that required a trip back to the gate, or the occasional diversion. Most of those incidents barely, if ever made the news. Further, I am no teetotaler, but if you can't manage to go without a drink for a few hours on a domestic flight, you may have bigger issues.
A study showed that conspicuous inequality (such as economy passengers having to walk past first class) is a significant driver of air rage. Yet airlines continue to let first class passengers board first, close the curtain between economy and first, tell economy passengers to not use the forward lav, and highlight at every turn how much better first class is. Why? Because it's profitable.

So, no, I'm not very sympathetic to airlines blaming air rage on alcohol. If anything, letting first class imbibe uninhibited while passengers in the back are told "there's no alcohol onboard" just makes things worse.
bchandler02 likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2021 | 9:58 am
5 Years on Site

Programs: Does Non Rev count?
Originally Posted by rucksack
A study showed that conspicuous inequality (such as economy passengers having to walk past first class) is a significant driver of air rage. Yet airlines continue to let first class passengers board first, close the curtain between economy and first, tell economy passengers to not use the forward lav, and highlight at every turn how much better first class is. Why? Because it's profitable.

So, no, I'm not very sympathetic to airlines blaming air rage on alcohol. If anything, letting first class imbibe uninhibited while passengers in the back are told "there's no alcohol onboard" just makes things worse.
I just fly the airplanes, and report what I've experienced as an airline pilot for the past 25 years or so. Never once have I had a passenger get angry (or at least say that was the reason) due to having to walk past the first class cabin, or use the rear lavatory and end up causing a flight to be diverted or a return to the gate. I'm not saying it hasn't happened, but I don't recall an incident related to those items.

As for first class being profitable for the airlines - I'm not privy to the profit piece, but probably half the folks traveling first class on my airline are doing so via some sort of upgrade path (FF, miles redemption, etc) and our not paying the full first class airfare. (Noted, there are exceptions on some routes we fly)
Synapseturquoise likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2021 | 10:47 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA Gold (*G), DL Silver, Makers Mark Ambassador
As for first class being profitable for the airlines - I'm not privy to the profit piece, but probably half the folks traveling first class on my airline are doing so via some sort of upgrade path (FF, miles redemption, etc) and our not paying the full first class airfare. (Noted, there are exceptions on some routes we fly)
This makes the point even more that first class is profitable for the airlines. Yes, some people decide to pay for F whenever they fly while others fly tens of thousands of miles a year on paid economy tickets with a specific airline in the hopes of ataining status that will get them a free upgrade. If the upgrades didn't exist and first wasn't substantially differentiated from economy, people would fly whatever was the cheapest/most convenient rather than sticking with one airline.
rucksack and Uzzar like this.
Old Sep 30, 2021 | 10:56 am
Original Member
30 Countries Visited1M20 Years on Site

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Weirdly, on my flight yesterday, the alcohol announcement was made by the captain pre-flight, not by the purser.

A number of the incidents I have had to deal with around non mask compliance, also included alcohol in the equation. Granted, this was usually prior to boarding. And yes, you are correct, alcohol is served in F, but it's a smaller group, so as a percentage, there is less of a chance for an issue. To be candid, I am not a data analyst, statistician, etc... just a pilot, so my evidence is based solely on the experience I have had flying the line for the last couple of decades. It could very well be a different experience for other passengers and crew.
In my flying experience, I've only encountered 1 alcohol-related incident in first class. In this case, the passenger was drunk, cut off by the crew, and was brazen enough to raid the trolley when the F galley was not occupied. I went back to the back galley to report the incident, and I swear I have never seen two FAs run down the aisle that quickly.

Originally Posted by aamilesslave
There was no liquid ban until Aug 10, 2006.Nothing to do with 9/11.
That's correct - it had to do with some intelligence report related to liquid explosives. Similarly, the shoe removal rule was related to some guy attempted to light their shoe on fire onboard a flight.
Old Sep 30, 2021 | 10:59 am
5 Years on Site

Programs: Does Non Rev count?
Originally Posted by wakesetter93
This makes the point even more that first class is profitable for the airlines. Yes, some people decide to pay for F whenever they fly while others fly tens of thousands of miles a year on paid economy tickets with a specific airline in the hopes of ataining status that will get them a free upgrade. If the upgrades didn't exist and first wasn't substantially differentiated from economy, people would fly whatever was the cheapest/most convenient rather than sticking with one airline.
Have you flown a domestic first class cabin recently? Other than a larger seat, the differences aren't vast. Unless of course you want that crappy glass of red wine or a few mini bottles of alcohol...

I will ask the question on our employee site, but I suspect we make more money in fees, than we do operating a premium cabin.
Old Sep 30, 2021 | 11:00 am
5 Years on Site

I just fly the airplanes, and report what I've experienced as an airline pilot for the past 25 years or so. Never once have I had a passenger get angry (or at least say that was the reason) due to having to walk past the first class cabin, or use the rear lavatory and end up causing a flight to be diverted or a return to the gate. I'm not saying it hasn't happened, but I don't recall an incident related to those items.

And how often did misbehaving passengers tell you they were angry because they were drunk? I'm not saying that alcohol doesn't contribute to some misbehavior, but so do many other decisions airlines make like packing passengers in like sardines or making inequality conspicuous. People get drunk all the time without incident – blaming alcohol for air rage is convenient scapegoating.
Old Sep 30, 2021 | 11:22 am

Have you flown a domestic first class cabin recently? Other than a larger seat, the differences aren't vast. Unless of course you want that crappy glass of red wine or a few mini bottles of alcohol...

I will ask the question on our employee site, but I suspect we make more money in fees, than we do operating a premium cabin.
You completely missed my point. You stated that over half of the cabin was made up of people upgrading through status/miles/etc. which shows that those folks are flying one airline in order to achieve that status and have the chance at upgrades. If you removed the F cabin, people would no longer be airline loyal and fly whoever was most convenient. More competition leads to lower ticket prices which in turn leads to reduced profits.

So while you may not make money directly from F, you would certainly see a hit on your P&L if you removed it.

Also, as someone who's 6'2" the extra legroom and wider seat is definitely a plus.
bchandler02 likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2021 | 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
50 Countries Visited1M10 Years on Site

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott LT Plat | Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by aamilesslave
Well that works well for monsters that use mixers. Less subtle for those of us that enjoy a nice pure pour
I've had a FA put my Glenlivet in a coffee cup with a stirrer. Kind of looks like tea.

On the flip side, I was in F on the late Jet Airways (LHR-BOM) and the FA put coke in my single malt.
aamilesslave likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2021 | 11:44 am

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT

With respect to FF miles used to upgrade, you do realize the FF program is the often the only part of the AA operation that makes money, right? And how many coach passengers are flying on full coach (Y) fares? Not many (and certainly FAR less than half) but that does not mean the coach cabin is not profitable. Finally, MY experience as a high spend Ex Plat is that less than 20% of seats are going to upgrades and the rest are booked in F which, yes, includes discounted (but yet still profitable to AA) first class fares.
Old Sep 30, 2021 | 11:52 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by rucksack

Let these people shell $18K out of their pocket every year like I do and then they too can sit up front and have a drink. Or just buy a first class ticket. Really, should Wal Mart shoppers go on a rage at Neiman Marcus (are they still in business?) This is society today. Too lazy to get off their butts to improve their life and instead blame others.
Synapseturquoise likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2021 | 11:57 am
Original Poster
FlyerTalk Evangelist
10 Countries Visited20 Years on Site

Programs: American Airlines
Unless of course you want that crappy glass plastic cup of red wine or a few mini bottles of alcohol...
757FO likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2021 | 12:04 pm
15 Years on Site

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Alcohol induced air rage has always been an issue, but mask wearing has supplanted that as of recent. The uptick is that non mask wearing is more sexy to report, and supports a narrative on both sides of the political spectrum, hence it being a constant part of the news cycle.

Prior to Covid, I had plenty of alcohol induced issues with passengers that required a trip back to the gate, or the occasional diversion. Most of those incidents barely, if ever made the news. Further, I am no teetotaler, but if you can't manage to go without a drink for a few hours on a domestic flight, you may have bigger issues.
While you've certainly got more hours in the air than many of us, I have never in ~20 years of flying, seen any alcohol related incidents. Data does not show it being as significant either - so either data is wrong, or they were never reported (can't fix something you don't know about).

I can manage to go as long as needed without a drink. Suggesting that everyone that wants to drink on a flight has "bigger issues" is childish at best. The difference is that I want to have a drink. Many times when flying, I'm either going on a personal trip or on the return leg of a business trip, and want to enjoy the flight with a few drinks. Not that it's anyone's business, but whatever.
LINDEGR likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.