Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 24, 2023, 3:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ExpatExp
From AA's "Systemwide upgrades" page as of 24 July 2023 (edited to remove references to mileage upgrades, which are not the topic of this thread):

Enjoy a confirmed upgrade from most Business fares to First, from Premium Economy to Business, or from Economy to Premium Economy when flying transatlantic on British Airways.

Systemwide upgrades can be used for one-way travel for up to 3 flight segments on British Airways marketed and operated flights or British Airways operated flights marketed by American. At least one American marketed flight must be in the itinerary to be eligible.
  1. Log in to aa.com and make sure you have systemwide upgrades available in your AAdvantage account.
  2. Call your AAdvantage status service desk to confirm your upgrade. If available, the required number of upgrades will be deducted from your balance.*
  3. If an upgrade isnt available at the time of booking, you can check back with us. There is no option to waitlist for an upgrade on British Airways flights.

*Systemwide upgrades are subject to upgrade seating availability.
From AA's "AAdvantage FAQs" page as of 24 July 2023 (edited to remove references to mileage upgrades, which are not the topic of this thread):

Upgrades on British Airways and Iberia
  • Can I upgrade on British Airways and Iberia flights? Yes, systemwide upgrades can be used for one-way travel for up to three segments on British Airways marketed and operated flights or British Airways operated flights marketed by American.
  • Can I upgrade from a discount Main Cabin fare? Systemwide upgrades on British Airways are valid on all purchased, published fares.
  • Why is my upgrade on British Airways not valid from Economy to Business? Systemwide and mileage upgrades are valid for a one cabin upgrade. On British Airways flights that offer Premium Economy, upgrades from Economy will be to Premium Economy. On flights where British Airways doesnt offer Premium Economy, the upgrade will be to Business.
Print Wikipost

SWU upgrades on BA are live

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2024 | 1:40 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.2mm, Kimpton IC, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
Having trouble getting mileage credit for a SWU-upgraded BA flight. In this case it was LHR-Europe, upgraded from Economy to Business (connecting from an AA transatlantic flight). My boarding pass showed booking class C. It didn't show up in my account with mileage credit, and my missing mileage form request was just denied ("Reason for denial: Ineligible booking code").

Obviously this is AA IT being horrible as usual, but uhhhhh... shouldn't they have thought of this?

Has anyone figured out how to actually get credit for these flights?
Old Jun 28, 2024 | 3:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
40 Countries Visited3M20 Years on Site

On a BA boarding pass the class indicated does not relate to the booking class, just to the class of service. 'C' just indicates Club Europe. The booking class would have been 'U' which does make it understandable why it didn't credit automatically

Have you phoned and explained to AAdvantage customer service ? I would have thought that if eligible it would be most easily fixed by speaking to someone
Old Jun 28, 2024 | 3:43 am

Programs: British Airways (Silver) | Air France/KLM (Gold) | SAS (Gold) | ITA Air (Premium)
Originally Posted by IflyonAA
Well I'm absolutely livid - called to upgrade family (4 people) on a US - UK flight from Premium Economy to Club (with SWUs) and was told that i had to pay a $500 (something) per pax fee so ($2-3k total) 'luxury tax' - I reminded him that it was not a tax but genuinely - what is the point - i suppose I could have just booked business but aa.com suggests that it is as easy as A B C as it was in December when I did the same 8 times.

Are they mistaken or am I?
UK carriers typically charge the UK lux tax directly to the consumer while US carriers incorporate it in the miles price.
apeortdz and ryanbriar like this.
Old Jun 28, 2024 | 3:45 am

Programs: British Airways (Silver) | Air France/KLM (Gold) | SAS (Gold) | ITA Air (Premium)
Originally Posted by SJC AA
Having trouble getting mileage credit for a SWU-upgraded BA flight. In this case it was LHR-Europe, upgraded from Economy to Business (connecting from an AA transatlantic flight). My boarding pass showed booking class C. It didn't show up in my account with mileage credit, and my missing mileage form request was just denied ("Reason for denial: Ineligible booking code").

Obviously this is AA IT being horrible as usual, but uhhhhh... shouldn't they have thought of this?

Note that BA should award you the equivalent miles of an economy ticket, as miles/"free" upgrades are not taken into account. (Unless you paid your economy tickets in miles, in which case you should get no miles at all).
Old Jun 28, 2024 | 4:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
20 Years on Site

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS

This has happened a couple times on my upgraded intra-Europe flights as well, as always for any missing mileage issue just call AAdvantage Customer Service to get it fixed.

On one or two of mine the earnings for the BA economy flights are so paltry that I don't even bother trying to get it fixed.
Old Jun 28, 2024 | 5:57 am

Originally Posted by FlyingSquirrel_
UK carriers typically charge the UK lux tax directly to the consumer while US carriers incorporate it in the miles price.
There is no 'lux tax' . The UK has Air Passenger Duty that is charged at 2 rates - for economy class will be at the reduced rate and other cabins at the standard rate. AA charges APD to passengers and charges it on upgrades where appkicable

For an upgrade from Premium Economy to Business, there will be no additional APD to pay , since the standard rate will already have been charged with the original Premium Economy purchase
Old Jun 28, 2024 | 11:35 am
20 Years on Site

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP

This is a recurring issue with AA and they keep blaming BA but its really an AA system thinking it was credited to BA. Keep being persistent and escalate every step. Takes me 3-4 escalations per case.
Old Jun 28, 2024 | 11:49 am

Originally Posted by asnovici
This is a recurring issue with AA and they keep blaming BA but its really an AA system thinking it was credited to BA. Keep being persistent and escalate every step. Takes me 3-4 escalations per case.
I don't think this is the case - if credited elsewhere it would say so. 'U' is an ineligible booking class for credit , but since it was an upgrade rather than an award ticket, should credit as per underlying fare basis
ryanbriar likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2024 | 11:53 am
20 Years on Site

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I don't think this is the case - if credited elsewhere it would say so. 'U' is an ineligible booking class for credit , but since it was an upgrade rather than an award ticket, should credit as per underlying fare basis
For me its always the case with upgrades into F. AA claims BA credited it to my BA account which of course it didnt. When my I class on BA converts to Z with BA prime number thats when the credit almost never occurs, and it happens almost every time. I am so used to this I know exactly what to expect in annoyance levels and what steps it will take.
Old Jun 28, 2024 | 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by asnovici
For me its always the case with upgrades into F. AA claims BA credited it to my BA account which of course it didnt. When my I class on BA converts to Z with BA prime number thats when the credit almost never occurs, and it happens almost every time. I am so used to this I know exactly what to expect in annoyance levels and what steps it will take.
That may have occurred for you, however the poster did state that AA said that it was an ineligible booking class to the poster.
Old Jun 28, 2024 | 2:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.2mm, Kimpton IC, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by FlyingSquirrel_
Note that BA should award you the equivalent miles of an economy ticket, as miles/"free" upgrades are not taken into account. (Unless you paid your economy tickets in miles, in which case you should get no miles at all).
Yep, or more likely the fare-based mileage from the original ticket. In any case I got 0. I guess I have to call, because the mileage-request system is too stupid to deal with this. That's a pain.
Old Jun 28, 2024 | 2:45 pm

Yep, or more likely the fare-based mileage from the original ticket. In any case I got 0. I guess I have to call, because the mileage-request system is too stupid to deal with this. That's a pain.
How much was the fare for the intra Europe flight? Is the amount worth putting much effort in?
ryanbriar likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2024 | 2:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3.8MM AC; UA Silver; Hyatt Globalist; Honors Diamond; Bonvoy LT TTM
I've been trying to keep an eye for BA F inventory to use a systemwide for J-F on LHR-MIA later this month, but aa.com is not showing any BA award inventory whatsoever. I only get AA metal appear appearing for the TATL segments, and i've triple checked I have the search set to all airlines. Anyone else see the same?
Old Jul 6, 2024 | 5:29 pm
10 Years on Site

Programs: AA 1MM CK, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador (RIP SPG), BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by bcm0830
I've been trying to keep an eye for BA F inventory to use a systemwide for J-F on LHR-MIA later this month, but aa.com is not showing any BA award inventory whatsoever. I only get AA metal appear appearing for the TATL segments, and i've triple checked I have the search set to all airlines. Anyone else see the same?
Im assuming that youre searching based on price as this will typically force BA (and other partners) to the top.

In general, it seems like BA F award space has been very hard to come by, especially on routes like Miami. I believe theyre running a 380, which helps for capacity, but a lot of the seats sell out or are held back from award space. What do the load factors on the day in question look like? Are you willing to get creative with routing?
Old Jul 6, 2024 | 6:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3.8MM AC; UA Silver; Hyatt Globalist; Honors Diamond; Bonvoy LT TTM
Thanks! I am searching for award inventory, and no BA options populate for any class of service. At the moment, the flight is F6, and we're three weeks from departure. I'd rather keep the non-stop in J than add a connection in order to land F.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.