Avis - AA Mile/LP Earning

Old Oct 4, 2022 | 7:40 am
Original Poster

Avis - AA Mile/LP Earning

Noticed that Avis and AA changed their earning structure overnight… kind of a bummer for any business traveler who rents a day or so at a time on a company rate. Definitely a benefit for longer term renters or those who spend a higher dollar value on vacation or otherwise.

The below miles were counting for me as base miles which with 30-40 rentals a year was going to net me 20-25% of my loyalty points for EXP…. No longer sadly

Old structure:
- 500 miles per rental (no status)
- 750 per rental (Credit Card holder)
- 1000 per rental (gold, plat, pro)
- 1250 per rental (exp)

New structure:
  • Earn 2 base miles per dollar spent – AAdvantage® members.
  • Earn 3 base miles per dollar spent – Citi® / AAdvantage® cardmembers and AAdvantage® Aviator® Mastercard® cardmembers without AAdvantage® status.
  • Earn 4 base miles per dollar spent –AAdvantage Platinum® and AAdvantage Gold® members.
  • Earn 5 base miles per dollar spent – AAdvantage Platinum Pro®, AAdvantage Executive Platinum® members.

Disappointing for me… will probably go back to National or someone else as Avis car quality is sub-par where I rent. Also disappointing that the change just took place out of the blue, thanks Avis & AA haha
Bipolar Cyclops likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2022 | 8:56 am
5 Years on Site

Programs: NH SF, JL JGC
Wow this is crazy. It looks like it's posted on the Avis website: https://www.avis.com/en/business-pro...rican-airlines

I have a couple upcoming Avis reservations and this is a huge bummer.
Old Oct 4, 2022 | 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
10 Countries Visited20 Years on Site

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
And Budget (unsurprisingly) is following suit:

https://www.budget.com/en/programs/m.../aero-american
Old Oct 4, 2022 | 10:48 am
15 Years on Site

Programs: AA EXP - 3.7MM, Bonv LIFETIME Titan, HH Dmd, Hyatt Glob., Priority Clb Dmd, Ntnl Exec El., Sixt PLT
Perhaps, AA is raising the cost of miles sold to Avis/Budget and other vendors. I tried Avis a few times in the past but stayed with National crediting rewards back to free rental days.
Old Oct 4, 2022 | 12:37 pm
Original Poster

Agreed, this was a nice little sweet spot for me as it was a 1000-1250 miles for effectively a 24 hour rental at around $60-70…

Now that earn will be cut down to almost 1/3 of that I plan to move to another brand after my upcoming rentals. The hassle with Avis and the age of their vehicles just isn’t worth it for a few hundred miles and LPs

Maybe if I have a weeklong vacation rental or something with highflier $ spend I’ll consider Avis but this will change my behavior the other way. Previously this was really the only reason I rented with Avis
Old Oct 4, 2022 | 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
I've heard nothing good about Avis and their crappy old cars. National is a great rental car company.
Old Oct 4, 2022 | 1:00 pm
10 Countries Visited10 Years on Site

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott
Thanks for flagging. Disappointing, this was a real sweet spot that shifted my spend to Avis. On short rentals I could get more miles per dollar (all LPs) with Avis than actually flying.
Old Oct 4, 2022 | 11:26 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, HH Diamond, National EE
Do I need to book through AA to get the miles or just add my FFN to my reservation?
Old Oct 5, 2022 | 5:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
20 Years on Site

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by hawkfan7314
Do I need to book through AA to get the miles or just add my FFN to my reservation?
You don't need to book through AA, you can book directly with Avis or with your corporate TA, etc. Just make sure your AA# is attached to your Avis profile and the account is set to earn FF miles.
hawkfan7314 likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2022 | 1:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Thanks for the post, I wouldn't have known otherwise. I stick with National for the Exec Elite perks, but occasionally I have cheated with Avis or Budget for the 1250 miles. No more.
aacar likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2022 | 5:51 pm
15 Years on Site

I had a budget reservation from 9/24-9/27. Do you know how long it usually takes for Budget to post the LPs in customer's AAdvantage account?
Old Oct 5, 2022 | 6:07 pm
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited10 Years on Site

Programs: AS 100K, DL PL, B6 M3
Wow major blow, roughly 25% of the points now for my typical weekly rentals. (1-2 corporate rentals per week).

American is certainly pushing me away with the new Loyalty Point scheme. Flying and Avis rentals requires a huge amount of spend.
Old Oct 5, 2022 | 9:06 pm
40 Countries Visited1M10 Years on Site

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
My last Avis rental was a 3 day rental with a base rate of $250 - so exactly the same earnings in the old structure as the new in that example.

Aside from that one example - pretty inconsequential change IMO, car rentals are in the noise in terms of the easiest/best ways to earn LPs.
Old Oct 6, 2022 | 8:02 am
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited10 Years on Site

Programs: AS 100K, DL PL, B6 M3
Originally Posted by bse118
My last Avis rental was a 3 day rental with a base rate of $250 - so exactly the same earnings in the old structure as the new in that example.

Aside from that one example - pretty inconsequential change IMO, car rentals are in the noise in terms of the easiest/best ways to earn LPs.
$83 base rate a day? Sounds like a pickup or a standard elite SUV? I thought people went with Avis because they are cheap.
Old Oct 8, 2022 | 6:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bgasser
I had a budget reservation from 9/24-9/27. Do you know how long it usually takes for Budget to post the LPs in customer's AAdvantage account?
My points generally post from Avis in roughly 1-2 weeks… it used to be right at a week on the dot but recently it’s been a little more variable

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.