Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Instant Status Pass questions, discussion, help requests (2022 on - consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Instant Status Pass questions, discussion, help requests (2022 on - consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2023 | 2:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GrayAnderson
(the "loyalty status bonus" bit confuses me a little),
Are you talking about miles and LP from flights?

Basically, AA gives you 5 miles (and LP) per dollar spent on flights. You get a percent bonus depending on your status (the highest being 120% as EXP). So an EXP gets 11 LP and RDM per dollar.

When flying partner-marketed flights you earn based on their chart (most are distance based, although notably, BA is about to switch to revenue). In this case you earn the status bonus on the base miles (but not the cabin bonus). All miles earn LP (except for one or two non-alliance partners -- it's made clear on their charts).

So for example if you are flying an AY marketed discount business (I or R) fare, that earns 100% base miles and 50% cabin bonus. If your were EXP you would get your 120% status bonus on the 100% base only.. so you would earn 220% + 50% = 270% of miles flown as both RDM and LP.

Most partners earn 100% on all premium economy, meaning that once you have high status, cheap premium economy deals can be good mileage runs (earning 220% miles as EXP, sometimes on very cheap fares... so, for example, if you could find a cheap LAX-HEL-SIN PE deal, that's a lot of miles)

I'm hoping that some good fares pop up on black Friday. Any excuse for a cheap vacation

Last edited by VegasGambler; Sep 15, 2023 at 3:36 pm
Old Sep 15, 2023 | 6:56 am
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited10 Years on Site

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
I don't have an AA card (yet) - I'm currently weighing options.

I'm mainly trying to sort where I'll land amid the DL fallout. I've got 15 months to sort that, but I want to start laying pipe, and the current AA offer is definitely of interest because I'm already tied up with Hyatt.

[I don't have a good sense of the quality of Admirals Club F&B or on-board meals. I'd be exclusively a paid F/J passenger; free SDC is my main want/need from the FFP.]
Old Sep 15, 2023 | 10:01 am
20 Years on Site

Originally Posted by schistosomiasis
...should I spend $25,000 the first four months, then $15,000 the next four so I can get plat pro for four month
How would the $15K spend in the second 4 month period get Platinum Pro?
kobyjones21 likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2023 | 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
50 Countries Visited10 Years on Site

Programs: AA
[I don't have a good sense of the quality of Admirals Club F&B or on-board meals. I'd be exclusively a paid F/J passenger; free SDC is my main want/need from the FFP.]
Here's this year's thread for domestic first class meals 2023 AA Domestic Meal / Meals - menu / photos / etc. (master thread)

I know there's an Admiral's Club thread but it's not coming up as easily. Basically F&B won't be at the level or as extensive as Sky Clubs. They started improvements in July 2023 - but started w/ 3 airports only.
Old Sep 15, 2023 | 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'd be exclusively a paid F/J passenger; free SDC is my main want/need from the FFP.]
Really? How often do you SDC?

I'm actually not sure what the fees are (the web page says "starting at" $50) but it would require a lot of $50 fees saved in order to make getting status worthwhile IMO. And that's only for confirmed changes; you can stand by for free.

Do they clear standby before the auto-upgrade processor runs? Because if so I would expect the standby success rate to be quite high for paid domestic F.
Old Sep 19, 2023 | 4:35 pm
10 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited60 Nights5 Years on Site

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
So I've seen some of the blogs say that the current Hyatt / AA Instant Status pass will only get you status through Feb 2025 if you complete all 3 phases, essentially breaking up the status requirements into 3 sections but the same requirements as earning organically. But looking at the previous Hyatt status pass it looks as if completing the challenge gave you another whole year (e.g. Completed challenge in Nov 2023 gave status through Feb 2025). So if I complete all 3 phases in Sep of 2024 will my status expire on Feb 2025 or Feb 2026?
Old Sep 20, 2023 | 7:31 am
40 Countries Visited20 Years on Site

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Zainth
So I've seen some of the blogs say that the current Hyatt / AA Instant Status pass will only get you status through Feb 2025 if you complete all 3 phases, essentially breaking up the status requirements into 3 sections but the same requirements as earning organically. But looking at the previous Hyatt status pass it looks as if completing the challenge gave you another whole year (e.g. Completed challenge in Nov 2023 gave status through Feb 2025). So if I complete all 3 phases in Sep of 2024 will my status expire on Feb 2025 or Feb 2026?
Once you sign up, the tracker will show how long the status is good until.
Old Sep 20, 2023 | 10:24 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited20 Years on Site

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Zainth
Anecdotal evidence says the status would be good until March 31, 2026.
RedElmo and rcch0 like this.
Old Sep 20, 2023 | 10:25 am

Originally Posted by SP03
Once you sign up, the tracker will show how long the status is good until.
I don't believe the tracker provides that information until you reach Phase 3 (8 months in).
ryandelmundo likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2023 | 11:05 am

Originally Posted by Beckles
I don't believe the tracker provides that information until you reach Phase 3 (8 months in).
Yes, that's what happened this year. So no one can really tell you for sure when it will end until then.
Old Sep 20, 2023 | 11:09 am

Yes, that's what happened this year. So no one can really tell you for sure when it will end until then.
When you get to Phase 3 it tells you when the status will be good through, those of us who signed up in November 2022 are being told our status is good through March 31, 2025, so based on that anecdotal evidence for those signing up now I believe they will earn status through March 31, 2026.
Old Sep 20, 2023 | 11:12 am
2M10 Years on Site

Originally Posted by Juanefny
So I got more than 200k LPs in phase 1. My phase 1 ends Saturday. Does anyone know if I’ll have EP for the rest of the program or if I have to requalify (67k LPs) every single phase?
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Once you are getting PPRO you may as well add on some shopping portal miles and get EXP.

I get upgraded about 60-70% of the time as EXP flying to/from PHX, even on award tickets (that is, below all other EXP on the list)
**this was changed earlier this year**

there is no longer a tiebreaker about paid vs award tickets being prioritized. That was announced and eliminated earlier this year.
order of upgrades are now sorted simply by status, then upgrade type (systemwide/mileage upgrades 1st before comp upgrades), then running 12-month-total LPs, then timestamp of request if tied LP running 12 months

From https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...y-upgrades.jsp What order are upgrades confirmed? This content can be expanded

Upgrade not confirmed at check-in?

You'll automatically be added to the airport upgrade standby list when you check in with American. Your priority at the airport is based on:
  • Status level (ConciergeKey® members are first, followed by AAdvantage Executive Platinum®, AAdvantage Platinum Pro®, AAdvantage Platinum® and then AAdvantage Gold® members)
  • Upgrade type in this order: (1 - Systemwide and mileage award upgrades*, 2 - Complimentary upgrades)
  • 12-month rolling Loyalty Points
If the upgrade type and 12-month rolling Loyalty Point value are the same we’ll look at the booking code then date/time of the request to determine prioritization.
Old Sep 20, 2023 | 11:34 am

When you get to Phase 3 it tells you when the status will be good through, those of us who signed up in November 2022 are being told our status is good through March 31, 2025, so based on that anecdotal evidence for those signing up now I believe they will earn status through March 31, 2026.
That would make sense, but no one has any more info beyond what has happened with the current promo. The T&Cs are certainly confusing.
Old Sep 20, 2023 | 11:56 am

That would make sense, but no one has any more info beyond what has happened with the current promo. The T&Cs are certainly confusing.
The terms and conditions say:
Originally Posted by Instant Status Pass Terms & Conditions
Once you complete all 3 phases in the Instant Status Pass™ you will be granted status for the next membership year immediately following the membership year in which you registered
They're not confusing, they're simply not correct relatively to what has now been confirmed as happening, status is being granted for the next membership year immediately following the membership year in which you complete the challenge.
Old Sep 20, 2023 | 12:02 pm

The terms and conditions say:
They're not confusing, they're simply not correct relatively to what has now been confirmed as happening, status is being granted for the next membership year immediately following the membership year in which you complete the challenge.
Unless you know for certain that the terms are incorrect and you are correct, I would say it's pretty confusing, since it conflicts with people's experience from last year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.