Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Qatar Award buyer beware (ensure baggage allowance)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA Qatar Award buyer beware (ensure baggage allowance)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2023, 5:45 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by D in SCL
Just one more data point...I had two QR award ticket issued 2 days ago with AA miles (AKL-DOH-OSL), but no mention of baggage showed up anywhere. Yesterday I texted AA on X (formerly known as Twitter) and the team resolved it in a couple of hours. They said it was a known issue but thanked me for reaching out to them. They contacted QR and AA reissued the tickets, now with all the appropriate bags showing up in the QR site. Thanks to everyone here for helping me avoid a problem!
Goodness, its just ridiculous that AA and QR don't solve this problem correctly, but glad it worked out for you.

Regards
Old Dec 1, 2023, 7:31 pm

I love FT! Like most others here, we had tickets booked with AA miles on QR (in Economy, all flights outside the USA). QR website showed no checked baggage allowance. Malaysian Airways DID show baggage allowance in kg. I was skeptical though, so I DM'd AA via Twitter and they got it fixed within 30 minutes. Now the baggage is showing on the QR website. I have had very good luck with AA via Twitter. Worth noting, I originally tried to get this resolved via the AA Chat on their website. I was left hanging by the agent, and I finally closed the window after several hours.
Old Dec 1, 2023, 8:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Spent over 2hrs trying to get this fixed earlier this week. First set of AA agents insisted ticket did not need to be reissued and that the baggage allowance was simply added to the endorsement. QR's website and agents said otherwise. After another 90 minutes on the phone with AA, was finally able to get an agent to reissue the ticket with the correct baggage allowance attached. Of the 6 QR awards I've ticketed this year, only one has been missing the baggage allowance but definitely glad I checked.

-FlyerBeek
Old Dec 2, 2023, 11:59 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Bonvoy Gold
I just purchased two partner award tickets on QR using AA miles via AA's website, and this exact thing happened with both tickets ... Neither booking shows any checked bag allowance when viewed on either AA or QR's website. I have messaged the AA Twitter/X team for help, hopefully they can fix it without giving me the runaround.
aj411 likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2023, 10:35 am

Programs: AA EXP; United 1K, Delta, IHG Plat Amb, PE, Marriott/Hilton Gold
Another data point today. Booked MSP>MIA>DOH on points today. End result was ticketed with baggage allowance of 2 pieces showing.
How it went down:

Tried online only. Got down to credit card for fee page and it failed. Half wondered if this was phantom availability because of the US connection availability but no, it was real.
Put flights on hold and called EXP line
EXP agent confirmed miles and completed booking (though she had to enter the cc twice to go through).
She assigned seats (as expected she couldn't book the middle seats but gave us two windows). She also confirmed QR booking code
After call:
I checked QR and the reservation was there, listed as confirmed but no ticket number yet (as expected), NO baggage listed and no seat assignment change possible (as expected).
I received an email confirmation from QR but nothing from AA at that point.
A couple of hours later, emails from AA for miles deducted and reservation confirmed, status now ticketed.
Back out to QR site. NOW, baggage allowance shows, ticket number shows AND I could go into the booking and choose the two center/odd row QSuite seats.
Only gotcha remaining is that the QR reservation shows my AA number for both passengers. That has happened before and AA and QR have both said that computer has it right even though the interface doea not. I will confirm that for sure in a couple of days
dc10forlife likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2023, 5:41 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by aj411
Only gotcha remaining is that the QR reservation shows my AA number for both passengers.
For a premium-cabin award ticket, why do you care what the AA number is for the passengers?
Happy and DiamondMile like this.
Old Dec 3, 2023, 10:14 pm

Faced this exact issue and hopefully this helps someone who is trying to fix it. I spent 2 hours with AA customer support and they said checked baggage should be included and to confirm with QR. The booking details on QR website did not show anything under checked baggage, it was simply blank. Reached out to AA over X (Twitter) and explained the issue. Also gave a screenshot of the QR Booking showing blank baggage allowance. They reissued the ticket and it was updated on QR Booking within minutes. Total time taken over X was 20 minutes. I suggest contacting over X if you don't want to spend hours on hold. AA is much more responsive on X and do make sure to share the screenshot highlighting the issue.
Happy and aj411 like this.
Old Dec 4, 2023, 11:50 pm

Another data point. 2xJ ADL-DOH-DUB. No checked baggage allowance showing on Qatar website. Site actually crashed when I clicked link to add extra baggage.

Phoned AA on Australian number about 5pm Adelaide time. Got straight through. Within a couple of minutes agent could see they're was a problem and asked me to hold for ten to fifteen minutes while she got it reticketed. Before she even came back to me on the phone I could see the Qatar website was now showing 40kg checked allowance per person.

Told the agent she'd been very helpful but please could she get someone to escalate solving this obvious technical glitch.

(Incidentally in the last month I've been putting multiple QR/AAdvantage flights from different Australian airports to different European airports on hold, and have even ticketed and then cancelled a couple, and as far as I can tell from the AA emails, NONE of them had a checked baggage allowance).

I wouldn't have thought to check if I hadn't happened to browse this forum, so thanks
Old Dec 5, 2023, 6:39 am

Originally Posted by Steve M
For a premium-cabin award ticket, why do you care what the AA number is for the passengers?
Honestly, the only reason I care is so it shows up in both parties apps. As is, it isnt showing up correctly in my husbands app.
Not a deal breaker but a pain
Steve M likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2023, 6:43 am

Another data point today. Booked MSP>MIA>DOH on points today. End result was ticketed with baggage allowance of 2 pieces showing.
How it went down:

Tried online only. Got down to credit card for fee page and it failed. Half wondered if this was phantom availability because of the US connection availability but no, it was real.
Put flights on hold and called EXP line
EXP agent confirmed miles and completed booking (though she had to enter the cc twice to go through).
She assigned seats (as expected she couldn't book the middle seats but gave us two windows). She also confirmed QR booking code
After call:
I checked QR and the reservation was there, listed as confirmed but no ticket number yet (as expected), NO baggage listed and no seat assignment change possible (as expected).
I received an email confirmation from QR but nothing from AA at that point.
A couple of hours later, emails from AA for miles deducted and reservation confirmed, status now ticketed.
Back out to QR site. NOW, baggage allowance shows, ticket number shows AND I could go into the booking and choose the two center/odd row QSuite seats.
Only gotcha remaining is that the QR reservation shows my AA number for both passengers. That has happened before and AA and QR have both said that computer has it right even though the interface doea not. I will confirm that for sure in a couple of days

Another data point - I'm wondering if this is any issue with non-US originating award tickets?
Just made another booking DOH>CGK. This time all online, no issues.
Ticketed in nanseconds but without checked baggage allowance showing on QR reservation
Sent a note to X team about 30 minutes ago. Referenced known issue with award booking and asked for reticketing.
Will see how that goes

UPDATE: After several hours, twitter responded and told me where to go to see the baggage allowed for class of service but doesnt see a problem with it not showing up in the reservation.
I think I will give up for today and maybe try calling in to the EXP line tomorow

Last edited by aj411; Dec 5, 2023 at 12:33 pm Reason: clarification/update
Old Dec 5, 2023, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by Antarius
That's the fastest and least messy resolution of this issue that we've seen. Nice.
different day, different twitter agent.
Mine today says it is not there and there is nothing they can do about it. Qatar has to change it
Old Dec 5, 2023, 1:40 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Platinum
different day, different twitter agent.
Mine today says it is not there and there is nothing they can do about it. Qatar has to change it
Something to try:
On the Qatar site, find your reservation (using the QR confirmation code, not your AA confirmation code):
https://booking.qatarairways.com/nsp...rievePnr.xhtml

Click through to "Modify Seat Selection," and pick a seat.
Then back out to the summary screen and see if "Checked baggage allowance" fills in something.

DISCLAIMER: This may or may not work.. It did for me on 2 separate tickets that initially showed no bags.
Old Dec 5, 2023, 1:58 pm

It was worth a shot. Unfortunately still no baggage allowance shows
WannaTheater likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2023, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by Steve M
I found a legitimate reason when checking the reservation.
To update contact info or check that all info on passport etc is correct you must tab through passenger 1, then passenger 2 then get to the contact details. With the award account number the same for both passengers, it wont let you tab forward to passenger 2. Comes back with error: a passenger is already using this reward program number.
Oh well.
Old Dec 6, 2023, 7:12 am

Ok I am at a loss now and asking for more input from the group.
Twitter was a dead end so I called the EXP line yesterday.
The agent had not heard of this but contacted the Oneworld desk and tickting both (the agent was a gem in trying).
Oneworld desk said there would be no problem, especially as I was an EXP.
Agent decided to have it reticketed anyway. Said she was told this was not easy.
This mornign it shows with a new ticketed date of yesterday but QR reservation still does not show baggage.
Do I punt and hoipe I can check a bag with no issue? Have QRs website ready with oneworld policy and QRs policy?
Do I wait a few days and try again with a better script?

Help!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.