Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SWU Strategy

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2024, 10:16 pm

Programs: United 1k aa exec plat
hi-am new exec plat and have never used a systemwide upgrade on aa.. am trying to find biz upgrade available flights from japan to lax and cant find any..!
if they do not show available is there no way to apply the upgrade(go on waiting list etc?) thanks!
Old Jun 12, 2024, 5:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by bryanwallace
hi-am new exec plat and have never used a systemwide upgrade on aa.. am trying to find biz upgrade available flights from japan to lax and cant find any..!
if they do not show available is there no way to apply the upgrade(go on waiting list etc?) thanks!
Finding upgrade space in advance to and from anywhere in Asia right now is extremely tough.

You can always call and be added to the waitlist, just keep in mind that for most in-demand flights like Tokyo AA typically doesn't release upgrade space until about 24-48 hours before the flight if there are still seats left in business.

Also keep in mind that as soon as you're waitlisted for the SWU upgrade you will no longer see the buy-up upgrade offers.
Old Jun 12, 2024, 5:40 am

Programs: AA EXP, 2 Million Miler
As JJeffrey said, you'll have to be waitlisted. As a data point, I had 6 trips to Tokyo over the last year. I used an upgrade instrument (SWU or Miles + Copay) on all 12 international segments between DFW <-> Tokyo. I was upgraded on 10 of the 12 flights, typically receiving the upgrade 24 to 48 hours before the flight. About 10 days before my last flight, I had to change from leaving from HND to leaving from NRT in order to get upgraded as the HND->DFW flight had no business class seats left, while the NRT->DFW had 6 seats open. This was a costly change, but I determined it worth it to help secure the upgrade.

I had an EXP status with a 12- month rolling LP balance around 400k during this time and typical at or near the top of the upgrade list.

Hope this helps.
CMTinPHL likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2024, 6:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BAEC Silver, IHG Platinum
Japan to LAX is tricky for upgrades because there are only 20 seats in J on the 787-8. This past year I've traveled this route roundtrip twice, and I was upgraded with an instrument (SWU/ mileage+copay) on 3 out of the 4 flights. The first RT I was extremely lucky to have found availability at booking (it was a total unicorn I really don't know what happened) and the second RT I upgraded HND-LAX, but it had to go to the waitlist and I was called up to the podium w/ my new boarding pass 5 minutes before boarding. The LAX-HND leg didn't clear but they allowed me a complimentary upgrade to PE, which was available.

Good luck with this route- many times it comes down to the gate.
asnovici likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2024, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
If you have SWU's in your account then you can see SWU availability during normal paid fare searches at aa.com (not including multi-city).
Hi! You mentioned that you cant use multi-city search to find availability.. But can you use SWU on a multi city trip? I mean, I live in Brazil and would like to go to US and Germany (example) .. so I would book GRU-DFW (stay a few days in Dallas), then DFW - FRA. So I would return to Brazil FRA-DFW-GRU.

In other words, is it possible to use SWU on stopover ? I would like to use 2 SWU (one GRU-DFW-FRA, other FRA-DFW-GRU).

Thanks
Old Jun 28, 2024, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fvgarcia
Hi! You mentioned that you cant use multi-city search to find availability.. But can you use SWU on a multi city trip? I mean, I live in Brazil and would like to go to US and Germany (example) .. so I would book GRU-DFW (stay a few days in Dallas), then DFW - FRA. So I would return to Brazil FRA-DFW-GRU.

In other words, is it possible to use SWU on stopover ? I would like to use 2 SWU (one GRU-DFW-FRA, other FRA-DFW-GRU).

Thanks
Yes, you can use SWUs on multi-city trips. AA.com not showing availability for multi-city searches is just an aa.com/IT glitch but has no bearing on whether or not you can use SWUs or whether or not there is any availability.

You should be able to use 1 SWU on GRU-DFW-FRA with a stopover in DFW as long as everything is on the same PNR.
Old Jun 28, 2024, 1:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I have EP status. If upgrade space is currently available on a flight where I booked PE seats, could I/should I downgrade to basic economy (with a flight credit for the difference) first, then apply a SWU to upgrade?

Edited to add another question: If I upgrade, would I be able to change my mind later and apply SWUs to another trip/flight instead (reverting to my previous PE seats, if they're still available)?

Last edited by MyJourneys; Jun 28, 2024 at 1:34 pm
Old Jun 30, 2024, 4:12 am

Finding upgrade space in advance to and from anywhere in Asia right now is extremely tough.

You can always call and be added to the waitlist, just keep in mind that for most in-demand flights like Tokyo AA typically doesn't release upgrade space until about 24-48 hours before the flight if there are still seats left in business.

Also keep in mind that as soon as you're waitlisted for the SWU upgrade you will no longer see the buy-up upgrade offers.
Hi JJeffrey!

Is it possible to check how many people there are in the waitlist? Can I see, before applying, how many EPs (and how many LPs they have earned) there are on the list?

If I apply now for a flight 11 months later, and after that 6 EPs with more 12 months LP earned apply too, thats very bad news for me, right? So does not matter when I apply, I just need to get more LPs than the others EPs, right?

thanks !
Old Jun 30, 2024, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MyJourneys
I have EP status. If upgrade space is currently available on a flight where I booked PE seats, could I/should I downgrade to basic economy (with a flight credit for the difference) first, then apply a SWU to upgrade?

Edited to add another question: If I upgrade, would I be able to change my mind later and apply SWUs to another trip/flight instead (reverting to my previous PE seats, if they're still available)?
That strategy sounds viable, however it's really a personal decision of whether you downgrade to just economy or basic economy.

As to changing your mind, yes it should be possible to cancel your upgrade however it will probably take at least 1 or 2 calls to AA to cancel it and make sure the SWU is redeposited in your account.
Old Jun 30, 2024, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fvgarcia
Is it possible to check how many people there are in the waitlist? Can I see, before applying, how many EPs (and how many LPs they have earned) there are on the list?

If I apply now for a flight 11 months later, and after that 6 EPs with more 12 months LP earned apply too, thats very bad news for me, right? So does not matter when I apply, I just need to get more LPs than the others EPs, right?
It's not possible to see the waitlist until 8-12 hrs before the flight when it becomes visible in the AA app. And this is just the pax name and position, you can never see how many LP's others have or what their status is.

And you are correct, when you get on the waitlist doesn't matter, all that matters is your status and LP. So you could get on the list today and be #1, but if tomorrow another EXP gets on with more LP they would now be #1 and you drop to #2.

Personally speaking I would never book nor get on the waitlist for a flight that far out, as you will no longer see the online/app upgrade offers. Just set EF alerts and call if C space happens to open up.
JFK2World likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2024, 9:15 am

It's not possible to see the waitlist until 8-12 hrs before the flight when it becomes visible in the AA app. And this is just the pax name and position, you can never see how many LP's others have or what their status is.

And you are correct, when you get on the waitlist doesn't matter, all that matters is your status and LP. So you could get on the list today and be #1, but if tomorrow another EXP gets on with more LP they would now be #1 and you drop to #2.

Personally speaking I would never book nor get on the waitlist for a flight that far out, as you will no longer see the online/app upgrade offers. Just set EF alerts and call if C space happens to open up.
You are right..

I am planing a trip from Brazil to Europe, including a stopover in US (NY or DFW).. and trying to use SWU (which I still don’t have it)..

as I can see on EF, it seems to be easier to get an advanced confirmed SWU flying to Europe rather than to Brazil..

so I think it’s better buy the trip as soon as I see a C in the Europe leg and hope for the best from Brazil to USA
Old Jul 22, 2024, 11:11 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Hi All
Called American and shared I had an expiring systemwide that is expiring on Aug 14/2024
and could I use it on Aug 21/2024
She stated you must use it (fly) a week before expiration no booking into the future under any circumstances
When I went onto one of the well known bloggers site online they said as long as space is available
you can confirm into the future
as long as the systemwide its still valid when you go to book
From my understanding the agent seems clearly mistaken.Thoughts?
The thing sat in my account a year and never once did American remind me to use it sadly
It was put into my account as a goodwill gesture when an agent messed up my earned systemwide
on a long haul flight from a year ago
I suppose they hope you forget about them? (sigh)
Old Jul 23, 2024, 5:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
Hi All
Called American and shared I had an expiring systemwide that is expiring on Aug 14/2024
and could I use it on Aug 21/2024
She stated you must use it (fly) a week before expiration no booking into the future under any circumstances
When I went onto one of the well known bloggers site online they said as long as space is available
you can confirm into the future
as long as the systemwide its still valid when you go to book
From my understanding the agent seems clearly mistaken.Thoughts?
The thing sat in my account a year and never once did American remind me to use it sadly
It was put into my account as a goodwill gesture when an agent messed up my earned systemwide
on a long haul flight from a year ago
I suppose they hope you forget about them? (sigh)
HUCA, just an agent making things up. As long as there is C space available then you can absolutely apply a SWU to flights post expiration.

And just a tip, but when you call never mention anything about your SWU expiring or the expiration date or anything like that. All that does is lead to agents making things up about what can or can't be done, as happened on your call.

Just call, give them your PNR, and tell them you want to upgrade X flights with a SWU. Nothing more.
TWA884, Mr. BoH, tfizzle and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 25, 2024, 9:34 am

If there is a seat(s) unsold 12-24hrs out and I have a SWU applied, is it guaranteed that I get the seat or do they still have to make it available for upgrade?
Old Jul 25, 2024, 9:48 am

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by kobyjones21
If there is a seat(s) unsold 12-24hrs out and I have a SWU applied, is it guaranteed that I get the seat or do they still have to make it available for upgrade?
There’s no guarantee until you’re in the air.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.