Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Domestic F Service Levels Competitive vs Delta?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA Domestic F Service Levels Competitive vs Delta?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2023 | 1:49 pm

Programs: American Express Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve
Originally Posted by jordyn
I do think that AA is the worst recliner product, certainly compared to Delta, just for lack of IFE and free WiFi. But I acknowledge that other people may care about different things and it's not like I'd take an extra connection to stay on DL for this.
When I first read that AA had taken out IFE (as a non-AA flyer) I thought, what a terrible cost-cutting measure. But, flying Alaska this week for some short hop flights I realized I was perfectly happy watching things on my laptop screen. It looks much better than the typical IFE screens on Delta, at least, and the selection of titles seemed decent. The lack of free WiFi is annoying although at least on these Alaska flights I got free wifi on my phone via my T-Mobile number. I wonder if that works on AA.
Old Sep 30, 2023 | 2:54 pm
dw
10 Countries Visited20 Years on Site

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Catering wise, Im on a DL (non Delta One) transcon F flight out of LAX now and Id say catering is a toss between the two.

- The entree on DL (in partnership with Jon & Vinnys in LA) is probably better than anything Ive had on AA, including in premium transcons, in the past few years. Id be happy to have this in a restaurant.
- Yet dessert is a cookie wrapped in plastic?
- One tray service; I usually do the premium transcons on AA, but I believe AA is coursing it now even on regular transcons?
- And no nuts with drink service

But there were PDBs and the FA has been far more attentive than anything Ive seen on AA in a long time. Hes probably come through 3-4 times in the past 2 hours, since meal service ended
VFR likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2023 | 3:45 pm
15 Years on Site

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
I've had dozens of flights in AA's F this year and three in DL's F. It's a bit of a lopsided sample, and all three on DL were between DTW and AUS, but I would rank each one above almost all of the AA flights.
  • 100% PDBs on DL, probably 20% on AA (although it seems to have become more common recently).
  • Clearly superior meals on DL, except for one or two AA flights. Here's a post I made after the second DL flight.
  • In-flight service on both airlines is pretty good overall.
  • I have found the IFE selection on DL to be better. I prefer the in-seat screens.
  • My perception of the space available is about the same on both. I hate the AA seats, except for the widebodies and RJs. I don't know what it is about them but my back starts to hurt the instant I sit down. Some kind of external lumbar support is absolutely necessary. I have been perfectly comfortable in the DL seats.
  • I love the AA warm mixed nuts, although the portion size seems to have diminished this year. DL's little packet of nuts pales in comparison.
AADFW, JoeWoodstock and FenwayTim like this.
Old Sep 30, 2023 | 10:12 pm

Programs: AA DL UR AGR
Originally Posted by AADFW
Until recently, I've been a long-standing AA loyalist. Recently, I've been dabbling in DL paid domestic F offerings. Although my experience is indeed my own, the difference in quality across the board has nonetheless been nothing short of astonishing. I have found this to be true across service, hard product, and catering.
What are your thoughts and experiences with AA vs. DL domestic F? Have you noticed a big difference in quality, too?
I would not say it's a big difference but I do prefer DL's inflight experience over AA. Better internet, friendlier crews, better seats, etc. Most of my local traffic is routed through AA and UA hubs, with far fewer DL options to chose from, but when they work I will choose them.

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
IMO the big 3 + AS are basically the same for the inflight experience for domestic travel. I have never noticed a huge difference between AA, UA, or AS and I seriously doubt that DL is any different. There are some minor differences that people on FT like to blow out of proportion but there's nothing significant. The food may be slightly better or worse but are you really going to take a less convenient routing because of the food? They sell food at the airport that is far better than anything you are going to get on a domestic flight.
My preferences have changed over the years, and some are specific to my home airports and gateways, but I'd have to be an infrequent and unobservant traveler to have no preferences whatsoever. Even a relatively minor difference can become increasingly relevant over the course of dozens and hundreds of flights.
Old Sep 30, 2023 | 10:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DaxOmni
I would not say it's a big difference but I do prefer DL's inflight experience over AA. Better internet, friendlier crews, better seats, etc. Most of my local traffic is routed through AA and UA hubs, with far fewer DL options to chose from, but when they work I will choose them.

My preferences have changed over the years, and some are specific to my home airports and gateways, but I'd have to be an infrequent and unobservant traveler to have no preferences whatsoever. Even a relatively minor difference can become increasingly relevant over the course of dozens and hundreds of flights.
My point is that I've flown dozens of flights in F with all of them and they are all basically the same. The things that people complain and about with one carrier are true some of the time with all carriers. And I don't believe that people are doing anything resembling statistical analysis... instead they just form an opinion and then focus on data points that support their opinions and ignore the ones that contradict it. All airlines have some indifferent FAs and some good ones, so if you fly enough you will give enough data points to support an opinion about a certain airline having indifferent FAs. That doesn't mean that it's actually a differentiating factor between airlines. They are all basically the same. I have had indifferent FAs on UA, AA, and AS, in both F and Y, and I am 100% sure that the only reason I haven't had them on DL is that I don't fly DL. I've also had great FAs on all those airlines.
Old Sep 30, 2023 | 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
50 Countries Visited1M10 Years on Site

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott LT Plat | Hyatt Discoverist
My point is that I've flown dozens of flights in F with all of them and they are all basically the same. The things that people complain and about with one carrier are true some of the time with all carriers. And I don't believe that people are doing anything resembling statistical analysis... instead they just form an opinion and then focus on data points that support their opinions and ignore the ones that contradict it. All airlines have some indifferent FAs and some good ones, so if you fly enough you will give enough data points to support an opinion about a certain airline having indifferent FAs. That doesn't mean that it's actually a differentiating factor between airlines. They are all basically the same. I have had indifferent FAs on UA, AA, and AS, in both F and Y, and I am 100% sure that the only reason I haven't had them on DL is that I don't fly DL. I've also had great FAs on all those airlines.
No one can do a statistical analysis on their own experiences. The best objective data we have is the annual reports. And that paints a clear picture in terms of operational and financial superiority for DL.

My experience is that DL is a better airline overall. Better operations, better crews, holistically a superior Operation. However, their FF program sucks and has for years, as do their partners, and that's a major reason that I continue to stay a regular AA customer.
Old Sep 30, 2023 | 11:59 pm
formerly wchinchen
10 Countries Visited10 Years on Site

Programs: AA CK, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Antarius
No one can do a statistical analysis on their own experiences..
Yep; and thats why I always tell the OPs of these threads to just try it out for themselves and make a decision based on their own experiences,
rather than the opinions of random strangers on FT. We are so different on what we like or dislike, what we value for an airline, routes we fly, and finances.

For example, my past ten flights from DFW to PDX on A321s in F had services that exceeded/on par with best F services that I had with Delta. Clearly this is different than the OPs experience with AA.

The OP just needs to take the plunge and and be his/her own A/B tester. And we should always be our own A/B testers, rather than blindly following any companies product,

If the OP really wants the best AA experience, just purchase 5 star select (applicable airports) with every flight. Will hands down beat Delta for the pre flight experience.
LowValueCustomer likes this.

Last edited by HaleiwaFlyer; Oct 1, 2023 at 12:12 am
Old Oct 1, 2023 | 10:39 am

Programs: DL Diamond, AS MVPG, Bonvoy Plat/LT Gold, HH Diamond
Agree with the OP that catering on DL is currently better than on AA. Crews as always can be variable. I’ll run into a ‘bare minimum’ crew here and there on any carrier, but can only recall one I’d bothered to write in about in the last year or two - and it was on DL.

I just don’t see the F products as differentiated enough to overcome a material difference in schedule or price. Sure, DL’s food is better but if AA is the more convenient or lower-cost F offering then I’m on AA. For a flight 4+ hours, I’ll lean to AS even if fares are somewhat higher, but that’s a function of pitch and not soft product.
dw and FenwayTim like this.
Old Oct 1, 2023 | 11:26 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by mbluecpa
For a flight 4+ hours, Ill lean to AS even if fares are somewhat higher, but thats a function of pitch and not soft product.
Pitch can be tight these days in domestic F so I have to agree that AS with their generous pitch is probably preferred if its an option on a route. I also find their food better than AA though like DL not as elaborate (often no nuts; dessert is a small tub of ice cream).

I flew transcon yesterday in F on a DL A220 and found the F seat worse than any F seat in the AA mainline fleet. As narrow as a Premium Economy seat but with less pitch.
Old Oct 1, 2023 | 11:35 am
Original Poster
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited15 Years on Site

Originally Posted by HaleiwaFlyer
If the OP really wants the best AA experience, just purchase 5 star select (applicable airports) with every flight. Will hands down beat Delta for the pre flight experience.
I've done this, and it's nice, but I still didn't get a PDB.
Old Oct 1, 2023 | 11:59 am

Delta lounges are a cut above Admirals Club, but the Flagship lounge (or whatever they call the one that serves that purpose at JFK) certainly has a much better wine selection than I've ever seen in a regular A/C or the Delta clubs.
ConstellationClass likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2023 | 1:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyingron
Delta lounges are a cut above Admirals Club, but the Flagship lounge (or whatever they call the one that serves that purpose at JFK) certainly has a much better wine selection than I've ever seen in a regular A/C or the Delta clubs.
Agreed the complimentary alcohol selections are better at the FL for those who do drink, but my last visit to the FL at DFW was disgraceful otherwise -- horrific food (stale trays of avocado and cucumber maki among many other bad things). It was also packed full with almost nowhere to sit and dirty dishes strewn everywhere. And whereas you used to be able to fill and refill your own champagne glass, they have a "wine nanny" posted at the center wine station to serve everyone now.

Let's also not forget that DL has just about as premium as you'd want in terms of beverages if you're willing to pay extra.
Old Oct 1, 2023 | 1:25 pm
formerly wchinchen
10 Countries Visited10 Years on Site

Programs: AA CK, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by AADFW
I've done this, and it's nice, but I still didn't get a PDB.
5 star select allows Flagship first dinning; so, the PDB should have been the glass of Champagne or cocktail at Flagship first dinning. Plus, you can get a tarmac transfer up the jet bridge after your Flagship First PDB; much better PDB with style
Old Oct 1, 2023 | 1:32 pm
Original Poster

5 star select allows Flagship first dinning; so, the PDB should have been the glass of Champagne or cocktail at Flagship first dinning. Plus, you can get a tarmac transfer up the jet bridge after your Flagship First PDB; much better PDB with style
Yes, this is all very true and exactly what I experienced (except I got a golf cart ride). However, there's something about being offered a drink right when you board that's really nice and kicks off the onboard service experience. It doesn't have be alcohol either - it's just the gesture of hospitality and customer engagement that I think most people value above all.
Old Oct 2, 2023 | 10:32 am

Programs: AA DL UR AGR
I agree all airlines have good and bad flight attendants. I just don't understand how you get from that to all airlines being the same. Perhaps your point is more about reframing the question as "which airline has no bad staff" and then skewering it with obvious but irrelevant truths.

Yep; and that’s why I always tell the OPs of these threads to just try it out for themselves and make a decision based on their own experiences,
rather than the opinions of random strangers on FT. We are so different on what we like or dislike, what we value for an airline, routes we fly, and finances. For example, my past ten flights from DFW to PDX on A321s in F had services that exceeded/on par with best F services that I had with Delta. Clearly this is different than the OPs experience with AA. The OP just needs to take the plunge and and be his/her own A/B tester.
Agreed. I feel confident in judging the routes I fly but if you don't live here and travel there YMMV. If the OP is based elsewhere or flies to other locations then his or her experience is likely to be different from mine.

Last edited by DaxOmni; Oct 2, 2023 at 10:43 am Reason: Added another response to another post.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.