Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Rant: AA customer relations claims FC meals/snacks are "complimentary conveniences"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rant: AA customer relations claims FC meals/snacks are "complimentary conveniences"

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2023 | 4:36 pm
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited20 Years on Site

I think you did ok with the 15K. Especially if your were able to eat on the ground.
wrldwide1 likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2023 | 5:07 pm
10 Countries Visited20 Years on Site

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by SamOF
And why is that important?
to remind passengers how little they care about you as a passenger, just your money.

to maintain its important to preserve their rights is silly.
Spiff, AJNEDC and LowValueCustomer like this.
Old Oct 5, 2023 | 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MrAndy1369
Definitely superfluous and unnecessary to be said, IMHO.
Again, we don't know what was said in the initial email to customer service. It may have been addressing a specific point in that email. We don't know whether it was necessary or not.
Old Oct 5, 2023 | 5:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
40 Countries Visited3M20 Years on Site

Originally Posted by SamOF
And why is that important?
Because it addresses the airline's justification for not compensating the person
texasbrian and AJNEDC like this.

Last edited by Dave Noble; Oct 5, 2023 at 5:24 pm
Old Oct 5, 2023 | 5:41 pm
20 Countries Visited500k40 Nights20 Years on Site

Programs: IHG Rewards Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, UA/DL/AA Back of the plane...
Tough crowd here. OP highlighted the complaint was the how they responded. I agree with OP. Was the compensation good? IMO Yes (especially considering what I rcvd for a F->Y downgrade and 12 hour delay getting from DC to DFW earlier this year). Is how they say meals are complimentary conveniences is pretty much insulting. When do they move from that to a EWR-PHX flight to a BOS-SAN? Or DFW-LHR?

I agree with the OP. Pretty crappy response.
jordyn, corky, MrAndy1369 and 8 others like this.
Old Oct 5, 2023 | 5:44 pm
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited40 Countries Visited

What the OP fails to see here is how incredibly privileged he is, receiving a personalized reply from AA within days! My far more pressing issue dating back to September 13th has not been processed yet. I did receive two "we're still working on it" emails so there is hope yet for a reply although the issue itself is irrelevant by now. AA is fine as long as nothing goes wrong. Sorry for somewhat hijacking the thread.
Old Oct 5, 2023 | 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
50 Countries Visited1M10 Years on Site

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott LT Plat | Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by fwfdan
Tough crowd here. OP highlighted the complaint was the how they responded. I agree with OP. Was the compensation good? IMO Yes (especially considering what I rcvd for a F->Y downgrade and 12 hour delay getting from DC to DFW earlier this year). Is how they say meals are complimentary conveniences is pretty much insulting. When do they move from that to a EWR-PHX flight to a BOS-SAN? Or DFW-LHR?

I agree with the OP. Pretty crappy response.
Second this. Meals are explicitly advertised as part of the offering when booking the flight. They are not "complimentary conveniences" any more than your baggage allowance is

A simple, "we are sorry we couldn't deliver what was promised. Significant delays caused problems with catering, resulting in this unfortunate outcome. Here are 15k miles as our way of apologizing and we look forward to delivering a superior experience for you in the future" would have resulted in exactly the same outcome for AA and a likely much happier customer. Making up rubbish just serves nobody.
mikew99, Spiff, jordyn and 14 others like this.
Old Oct 5, 2023 | 6:06 pm
50 Countries Visited1M15 Years on Site

Originally Posted by LowValueCustomer
tbh it seems to me that 15k miles would be a reasonable gesture here, but I agree that the "complimentary conveniences" line is egregious and insulting. This is an advertised benefit that they use to induce F purchases, notwithstanding their CoC's abusive "you're buying transportation A-B and nothing more" language.
This. Whoever drafted the complimentary conveniences line ought to receive some remedial training. It was unnecessary, insulting and just plain stupid.
Spiff, jordyn, enviroian and 7 others like this.
Old Oct 5, 2023 | 7:29 pm
10 Countries Visited20 Years on Site

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
This is AA's new corporate policy, doubled down from their appearance in court recently where they stated that the ticket is transportation only and everything else - an actual seat to sit in, a place to store bags, the transportation of checked bags, etc etc etc - are all "complimentary conveniences" which the airline has no legal obligation to provide.

I could tell you what "AA" stands for, but it wouldn't be FT TOS compliant.
Old Oct 5, 2023 | 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Because it addresses the airline's justification for not compensating the person
Which, as the screenshots above show, is a crock of manure.

Meals are advertised as part of the offering. They're not the second bowl of gruel that Oliver Twist was hoping for.
Old Oct 5, 2023 | 8:42 pm
40 Countries Visited3M20 Years on Site

Originally Posted by Antarius
Which, as the screenshots above show, is a crock of manure.

Meals are advertised as part of the offering. They're not the second bowl of gruel that Oliver Twist was hoping for.
That would be a matter for a court to decide should the person decide to pursue compensation. If the person does and wins, it would show that the justification was flawed

Personally, I would suggest that the goodwill offer woulld be better to just accept
Old Oct 5, 2023 | 8:50 pm
10 Years on Site

Programs: AA ExPl, BA Gold, DL Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, probably some others
Think everyone can agree AA's comment is insulting and unnecessary.

But is there really anything else to do? Is OP going to file a DOT complaint? A chargeback? A small claims court case? 15K miles seems like a very reasonable compensation for not having a catered meal.
FenwayTim likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2023 | 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That would be a matter for a court to decide should the person decide to pursue compensation. If the person does and wins, it would show that the justification was flawed
So, unless someone sues, it's okay in your book to falsely advertise?

No one is debating how this would play out in a court of law. This is customer support dealing with a customer with a problem.

Personally, I would suggest that the goodwill offer woulld be better to just accept
Sure. However all of this could have been avoided without AA sounding like a litigation attorney. Customer support is not supposed to needlessly antagonize customers for zero gain; at least in well run companies.

Originally Posted by lrdpenn
Instead - the story is why does AA have to include borderline hostile text in their response, for really no reason?? The bold text looks more appropriate for a Y customer complaining biscoff was not catered.
Exactly. The sentence added nothing of value and needlessly turned a salvageable outcome into a dumpster fire. Who did they hire to write these? Ahmadinejad or Kim Jong Un?

Heck, even for a Y customer about biscoff, it could be handled better. "We try to serve our complimentary snacks, however due to unforeseen circumstances, we were unable to do so. We apologize and appreciate your patience with us as we worked through the delay. Here is 1000 miles, please come back soon"

Last edited by Antarius; Oct 5, 2023 at 10:30 pm
Old Oct 5, 2023 | 10:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Antarius
So, unless someone sues, it's okay in your book to falsely advertise?

Sure. However all of this could have been avoided without AA sounding like a litigation attorney. Customer support is not supposed to needlessly antagonize customers for zero gain; at least in well run companies.
I think that if someone is stating that they did not receive something that they paid for, it's correct for the agent to quote AA policy about what is included in what they paid for. If the OP did not bring it up then I agree that the comment is uncalled for.

The point about the advertising not matching the airlines' policy is a good one. There's no need to sue; that's what the DOT is for. Anyone who feels that this is an issue can complain to them that what AA displays on the web page is misleading and does not match AA's policy. If they feel that AA's webpage and booking process is deceptive and misleading... they have an all-encompassing regulation just for that.

But the CS agent should not be blamed for quoting AA's policy if it was in direct response to the message that they are replying to. Whether AA's policy is fair (or even legal) is a separate issue -- the agent needs to follow the policy regardless.
Old Oct 5, 2023 | 10:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I think that if someone is stating that they did not receive something that they paid for, it's correct for the agent to quote AA policy about what is included in what they paid for. If the OP did not bring it up then I agree that the comment is uncalled for.

The point about the advertising not matching the airlines' policy is a good one. There's no need to sue; that's what the DOT is for. Anyone who feels that this is an issue can complain to them that what AA displays on the web page is misleading and does not match AA's policy. If they feel that AA's webpage and booking process is deceptive and misleading... they have an all-encompassing regulation just for that.

But the CS agent should not be blamed for quoting AA's policy if it was in direct response to the message that they are replying to.
It is included in what's paid for though. AA advertises F on that route as having a meal in addition to 2 checked bags, the better seat etc. A customer paid for that package of services that was advertised. Yes, it isn't itemized in that the next flight outside the meal window doesn't pay less, but neither does a passenger who doesn't check bags. I don't see how it can be AA's published policy to directly contradict what they advertise.

Agreed that the DOT is the right spot to complain. IME, 15k miles is plenty sufficient. I feel that they could have given the 15k miles in a less pointed way and ended up with a happier outcome for all parties.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.