Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Is there any way to get an actual response from AA Customer Relations?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2023 | 2:23 am
Original Poster

tl;dr Gate agent tried to deny me boarding because I asked whether I could keep an item with Li-Ion batteries in my bag when they gate-checked it.

Flew out of DTW to IST via ORD and LHR today on AA. Flight was full for carry-ons, so they were gate checking bags at DTW. I wasn't sure if this was AA Valet or not, so I went up to ask the GA. Instead of answering my question, he just demanded to see my seat number and then tagged the bag. I asked him where I needed to pick up the bag again, and finally he said LHR. I'm not a US citizen / LPR so I can't enter the UK, so I asked him what I should do, and he just shooed my out of the way accusing me of trying to take my carry on as a lower group.

Went to talk to another GA who clarified the bag would be checked through to IST. I was ok with checking it in that case, but I had a portable monitor that used Li-Ion batteries in the carry-on, so I was asking whether it was ok for me to check it. Midway through this, the first GA interrupted us and told the other GA that I was just trying to avoid checking my bag. I tried to explain the situation, but he kept interrupting me and telling me to give him the bag if I wanted to fly. I kept trying to explain that I wanted to figure out if it was safe for me to check the monitor.

Eventually (after no aggression or anything on my end), he told me that "I wasn't flying today." He told the gate to cancel my ticket and rebook me for tomorrow, and the other GA agent yelled at them to not do that. At this point, I just let him have the bag and the staff at the gate ended up ignoring the GA who told them to cancel my ticket (even though he said he was the supervisor?) and let me board.

I filled out the webform on the AA website about this experience (threatening to deny boarding for asking about checked bag safety is wild), and I got a copy-paste response thanking me for sharing my experiences and some stuff about being a world-class airline.

Is there a way to get an actual response from AA, or do they just not care about this kind of stuff?
Old Dec 18, 2023 | 3:23 am

Programs: AA - CK/Airpass
Originally Posted by eakinci
tl;dr Gate agent tried to deny me boarding because I asked whether I could keep an item with Li-Ion batteries in my bag when they gate-checked it.

Flew out of DTW to IST via ORD and LHR today on AA. Flight was full for carry-ons, so they were gate checking bags at DTW. I wasn't sure if this was AA Valet or not, so I went up to ask the GA. Instead of answering my question, he just demanded to see my seat number and then tagged the bag. I asked him where I needed to pick up the bag again, and finally he said LHR. I'm not a US citizen / LPR so I can't enter the UK, so I asked him what I should do, and he just shooed my out of the way accusing me of trying to take my carry on as a lower group.

Went to talk to another GA who clarified the bag would be checked through to IST. I was ok with checking it in that case, but I had a portable monitor that used Li-Ion batteries in the carry-on, so I was asking whether it was ok for me to check it. Midway through this, the first GA interrupted us and told the other GA that I was just trying to avoid checking my bag. I tried to explain the situation, but he kept interrupting me and telling me to give him the bag if I wanted to fly. I kept trying to explain that I wanted to figure out if it was safe for me to check the monitor.

Eventually (after no aggression or anything on my end), he told me that "I wasn't flying today." He told the gate to cancel my ticket and rebook me for tomorrow, and the other GA agent yelled at them to not do that. At this point, I just let him have the bag and the staff at the gate ended up ignoring the GA who told them to cancel my ticket (even though he said he was the supervisor?) and let me board.

I filled out the webform on the AA website about this experience (threatening to deny boarding for asking about checked bag safety is wild), and I got a copy-paste response thanking me for sharing my experiences and some stuff about being a world-class airline.

Is there a way to get an actual response from AA, or do they just not care about this kind of stuff?
You can almost always guarantee a response (after some delay) by using the corporate emails directed to individual executives.

I would ask yourself what your expectations are and what would resolve the situation first, however.
Old Dec 18, 2023 | 8:13 am
20 Years on Site

Honestly, you should consider reporting this to the FAA as the agent knew that there was a device in the bag that was unable to be checked, still insisted you give the bag over to be checked, and threatened with retaliation (denying you boarding) when you attempted to remove the offending item from the bag. Going through AA customer service means a very large chance that the most that happens is they throw some compensation you're away without directly addressing the problem staffer.

AA places a lot of emphasis on D0 (their program to ensure departures go out on time) & while this is a very minor violation in the grand scheme of things, letting it go unchecked could result in the agent going a step further next time to ensure they don't get written up for a late flight.

Reporting hotline is here, keep the complaint concise and focused on the violation (& potentially that you self-reported to AA and they just sent an automated response). https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org...s/faa_hotlines

Last edited by lowfareair; Dec 18, 2023 at 8:19 am
Old Dec 18, 2023 | 8:14 am
dw
10 Countries Visited20 Years on Site

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
My question with AA now using automated replies as initial response to complaints is, are legitimate complaints ever flagged for manual review prior to the automated message going out? If the answer is no, I have to wonder whether there is going to be an issue with the DOT in terms of the airline not addressing legitimate complaints.

(And while many complaints should be considered "legitimate", I would think the ones the DOT would be most concerned with are things like, refunds not being made in a timely fashion after a flight cancellation, improper comp being provided after an involuntary denied boarding, etc.)
lowfareair and eakinci like this.
Old Dec 18, 2023 | 9:03 am
Original Poster

I think I might just go with an FAA complaint. I really just wanted them to acknowledge that what happened was unacceptable (I'm not paying money to get threatened and berated by some guy at the gate) and provide some indication that they would take action on it. At least they would actually have to acknowledge and write a real response to an FAA complaint.

Otherwise, their emails suggest that they are probably going to file this away for it to maybe be glanced at in an end-of-quarter report or something. I included the responses I got below; I feel like it would have been more respectful if they literally said they don't care instead of writing so many empty sentences.

--- Original Response ---

Thank you for contacting American Airlines Customer Relations.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the experience you've described. We're committed to prioritizing our customers in everything we do, and your feedback highlights this commitment. Your valuable insights will be made available to our leadership team to explore necessary improvements and deliver the world-class customer experience you expect from us.

I appreciate your willingness to share your feedback with us. From everyone at American Airlines, thank you for choosing to fly with us. We look forward to the opportunity to welcome you on board again soon.
--- My Response ---
​​​​​​​Hello,

Receiving a copy-paste response after being threatened being denied boarding for asking about a safety issue is categorically not a “world-class customer experience.”
--- Their re-response ---
​​​​​​​Thank you for taking the time to send in your concerns. I'm happy to help.

We want our customers to have a great experience when traveling with us and I'm sorry that didn't occur during your recent trip. Our team is always expected to provide courteous and professional service to all passengers. I regret any inconsistency you encountered and sincerely apologize for the lack of professionalism you described.

I would like to assure you that we take our customers' concerns and feedback seriously. The comments that you shared with me will be made available to our leadership team for further review and will be used to refine and update our practices. We want our customer journey to be the best in the industry and we thank you for giving us the opportunity to drive change.

While I know you didn't have the best experience traveling with us recently, I do hope you'll give us another try. From all of us at American Airlines, we hope to see you on another flight soon.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2023 | 9:20 am

Originally Posted by dw
My question with AA now using automated replies as initial response to complaints is, are legitimate complaints ever flagged for manual review prior to the automated message going out? If the answer is no, I have to wonder whether there is going to be an issue with the DOT in terms of the airline not addressing legitimate complaints.

(And while many complaints should be considered "legitimate", I would think the ones the DOT would be most concerned with are things like, refunds not being made in a timely fashion after a flight cancellation, improper comp being provided after an involuntary denied boarding, etc.)

Take your complaint to AA's facebook...AA's twitter. I hear that gets a quicker response than emailing. Go get'em!
Old Dec 18, 2023 | 9:28 am
20 Countries Visited15 Years on Site

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Platinum
Any time I am asked to gate-check a bag, I am also questioned about if the bag contains lithium-ion batteries.

Not trying to poke the bear, but question for the OP- How big was the carry-on bag? Could it have been determined by the original GA that it was oversized, and should've been checked to begin with? Would it have fit in the sizer?
Old Dec 18, 2023 | 9:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WannaTheater
Any time I am asked to gate-check a bag, I am also questioned about if the bag contains lithium-ion batteries.

Not trying to poke the bear, but question for the OP- How big was the carry-on bag? Could it have been determined by the original GA that it was oversized, and should've been checked to begin with? Would it have fit in the sizer?
Just your regular carry-on bag. Ive been flying with it for years with no problem. They announced early on that we would need to check carry-ons, so not surprised or particularly annoyed at having to check it.
Old Dec 18, 2023 | 9:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wutlol
You can almost always guarantee a response (after some delay) by using the corporate emails directed to individual executives.

I would ask yourself what your expectations are and what would resolve the situation first, however.
I just want them to show that this is in fact unacceptable (I dont want to be yelled at when Im not being aggressive or antagonistic) and show that they will actually take steps to look into it.

The two emails Ive gotten have just been standard PR empty sentences.
FMDXR likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2023 | 9:39 am
20 Countries Visited15 Years on Site

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by eakinci
Just your regular carry-on bag. Ive been flying with it for years with no problem. They announced early on that we would need to check carry-ons, so not surprised or particularly annoyed at having to check it.
Qotcha- My thinking was perhaps it was borderline too big, first GA said check it, and the you went down to ask another GA.... ("dad said no, so I'll ask mom scenario" ).... but it doesn't seem like that is what happened.

My guess is you will get a response, but I've had them take a week.
eakinci likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2023 | 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
10 Countries Visited2M15 Years on Site

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
DOT complaint! That should get you a response from AA. Keep it concise.

https://www.transportation.gov/airco...umer-complaint
AAway, fotographer, dw and 2 others like this.
Old Dec 18, 2023 | 10:26 am
10 Years on Site

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
from my experience with AA customer so called service.. I kept responding to the email reply.. letting them know
that I was not happy.. after about 3X emails.. it seems AA got someone who actually read through my email.. and took
some decent action

hang in their and dont give up
Old Dec 18, 2023 | 10:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
10 Countries Visited20 Years on Site

Originally Posted by lowfareair
Honestly, you should consider reporting this to the FAA as the agent knew that there was a device in the bag that was unable to be checked, still insisted you give the bag over to be checked, and threatened with retaliation (denying you boarding) when you attempted to remove the offending item from the bag. Going through AA customer service means a very large chance that the most that happens is they throw some compensation you're away without directly addressing the problem staffer.
With the exception of e-cigarettes/vapes, the FAA doesn't prohibit electronics devices containing Li-Ion batteries in checked luggage.
Old Dec 18, 2023 | 11:05 am
20 Years on Site

Originally Posted by moondog
With the exception of e-cigarettes/vapes, the FAA doesn't prohibit electronics devices containing Li-Ion batteries in checked luggage.
Wow, I never realized this and could have sworn it applied to all Li-ion batteries. It looks like spare batteries & portable chargers are also prevented from being checked, but that exact same spare battery is fine if it is attached to the (powered-off) device that is using it.
https://www.faa.gov/newsroom/lithium-batteries-baggage
BWISkyGuy likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2023 | 11:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by moondog
From what I understand, loose lithium ion batteries are not allowed (e.g. battery packs). Regardless, I didnt know this and the gate agent was not interested in explaining anything

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.