Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Chance of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (2024 Master Thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 14, 2024, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
When upgrade space becomes available, the available seats are given in order of tier, type of upgrade and rolling 12 month loyalty point count. In cases of a tie breaker, then the booking code and time of upgrade request are considered.
The process applies to flights eligible for complimentary upgrades (domestic, Caribbean, Mexico) as well as flights offering upgrades using only instruments.

Elite status
  1. Concierge Key
  2. Executive Platinum
  3. Platinum Pro
  4. Platinum
  5. Gold
Upgrade types available on American Airlines marketed & operated flights (other partner airline codeshare flight numbers operated on AA are not eligible
  1. Instrument based upgrade: Mileage upgrade award(with or without copay), systemwide upgrade (SWU) and business Extra upgrades (BXP1/BXP3) available to any AA customer with or without elite status for any AA flight in the world based on availability
  2. Complimentary upgrades on purchased tickets within North America for AAdvantage elite members and one flying companion
  3. Complimentary upgrades on award tickets within North America for AAdvantage elite members and one flying companion
Then, by
1. Loyalty Points earned in prior 12 months at the time the upgrade is processed.
2. Booking class
3. Time of request

https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...y-upgrades.jsp

What order are upgrades confirmed?
As soon as your upgrade window opens, we'll attempt to confirm in this order:
  • AAdvantage status level (ConciergeKey members are first, followed by AAdvantage Executive Platinum, AAdvantage Platinum Pro, AAdvantage Platinum and then AAdvantage Gold members)
  • Upgrades on purchased tickets first, followed by upgrades on award tickets
  • 12-month rolling Loyalty Points
If the upgrade type and 12-month rolling Loyalty Points value are the same well look at the booking code then date/time of the request to determine prioritization.

General observations have been flights TO a hub, even with multiple seats open/for sale J7+, will not be upgraded until closer to T-27.

Link to 2020-2021 archived thread.
Link to the 2023 archived thread.
For previous changes, see Upgrade Priority Changes to Status, Rolling 365 Day EQD Spend May 20 2017

Link to Gary Leff, View From the Wing 16 May 2017

​​
Print Wikipost

Chance of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (2024 Master Thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2024, 10:28 am

Programs: AA EP, Marriott Gold
EP, ~200k rolling LPs. Some recent trips the last couple of weeks:
  • PHX to LAX 6:05p Friday departure (A321), 3/36, zero seats available. settled in MCE.
  • LAX to PHX 9:20a Monday departure (A321), 4/29, zero seats available, settled in MCE.
  • PHX to ORD 6:19p Friday departure (A321), 3/32 (app showed 2 available seats). Boarded, settled in MCE seat. Once boarding was complete GA came on board and upgraded myself and #4. 2 additional open seats in FC.
  • ORD to DFW 3:15p Saturday departure (787-9). 4 out of 28 (app showing 4 available seats). Upgraded when boarding started. #5 was also upgraded.
  • DFW to PHX 7:45p Saturday departure (A321), upgraded at 100 hr window. Upgrade list was 34 deep, zero seats available.

Last edited by markiedawg; Jan 28, 2024 at 10:29 am Reason: additional details
Old Jan 28, 2024, 7:05 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
Slightly off thread but I received an upgrade on PBI to CLT Friday for Saturday's flight. Probably the 2nd upgrade I've received in years only to be woken up Saturday morning by AA calling to say the equipment was changed from a 321 to a 319 which reduced first class to 8. What I found interesting is that I was in 2D and In the past you would keep your seat if the new aircraft had that seat. Anyone have any experience with that. Anyway, they offered me an exit row and $300 which I took ( ticket was $258).
enviroian and catmndu like this.
Old Jan 29, 2024, 7:45 am

Taking advantage of a companion fare from my company (instead of an F seat for myself) PHL-SAN and LAX-PHL in June. Was thinking of using miles + copay to upgrade us to F, but sounds like that clearing might be a long shot, even as a Platinum Pro? I guess look to see what the cash upgrade offers are instead?
Old Jan 29, 2024, 7:58 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by MASTERNC
Taking advantage of a companion fare from my company (instead of an F seat for myself) PHL-SAN and LAX-PHL in June. Was thinking of using miles + copay to upgrade us to F, but sounds like that clearing might be a long shot, even as a Platinum Pro? I guess look to see what the cash upgrade offers are instead?
LAX-PHL can be a tough upgrade for EXP, depending on which flight(s) you choose. Harder for PP obviously.
Old Jan 29, 2024, 9:59 am

Originally Posted by CMTinPHL
LAX-PHL can be a tough upgrade for EXP, depending on which flight(s) you choose. Harder for PP obviously.
Put myself on the wait list with the points upgrade because cash upgrades were $2,500 per person round trip, which I think is more than booking first class in the first place would have been.
Old Jan 29, 2024, 11:17 am

Today PHL-DFW - EXP ~300k LPs - #3 of 53 w/ 0 available at T-2.

I wasn’t expecting it and will settle into my exit row and get my free Pringles (hopefully). Who knows what AA offers as BOB anymore.

Have a 4 hr layover and then a 14 hr long-haul after this, so I’m not worried about eating on the PHL-DFW leg.

Last edited by CMTinPHL; Jan 29, 2024 at 11:19 am Reason: Added info about long-haul.
Old Jan 29, 2024, 12:21 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
I have a wedding in Rome in October and 4 SWU burning a hole in my pocket. I fly out of Miami so need to connect. I was hoping someone could advise which of the available X to FCO flights would be best for a possible upgrade.

EXP 450K LP

CLT - FCO
JFK - FCO
PHL - FCO
DFW - FCO

Thanks!
Old Jan 29, 2024, 12:59 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Originally Posted by CMTinPHL
I wasnt expecting it and will settle into my exit row and get my free Pringles (hopefully). Who knows what AA offers as BOB anymore.
Cheese plate and Pringles as of last week.
CMTinPHL likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2024, 7:22 am

Programs: AAdvantage
Last Saturday MIA/DFW over 100 on the upgrade list, 772. I (around 260K LP 12 month trailing) was number 12. One cleared I think. DFW/TUS paid for an upgrade ($140) 2 weeks out. Over 50 on the list, 321 ceo, no one cleared. Yesterday (Wednesday) LAX/MIA on the 788 paid $242 for an upgrade. Over 150 on the list, no one cleared.
Old Feb 1, 2024, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by EXP100
One cleared I think
And that guy probably doesn't even know what FlyerTalk is.
Old Feb 5, 2024, 4:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Exp 250K LP. Today Tpa-Mia 5 out of 29 with 1 open F seat. Mia - ord #4 out of 35 for 0 F seats.
Old Feb 5, 2024, 8:28 am

Programs: AA: Plat Pro; Hyatt: Globalist
Just snagged a T-72 upgrade for my first flight after getting to PP! TLH->DCA on Thursday. None of my flights for this trip look too full, so I'm hopeful for all 4 segments.
Old Feb 5, 2024, 5:35 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, DL Silver
If you book a ticket while having status I assume the system will catch it if you lose status and remove the comp upgrade possibility from the app? What about your MC seat? Will that also go away if you were to lose status between time of selecting seat and the flight?
Old Feb 5, 2024, 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by happiest_at_40000
If you book a ticket while having status I assume the system will catch it if you lose status and remove the comp upgrade possibility from the app? What about your MC seat? Will that also go away if you were to lose status between time of selecting seat and the flight?
You should retain your MCE seat. A schedule change or a change to your reservation and you will likely lose the MCE seat.
Old Feb 5, 2024, 9:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA1K B6 Mosaic 1, Amtrak Select, Marriott Plat , AMEX Plat (noted for club access reference)
EXP 250K rolling
Within the last couple weeks.

(MON) DFW-ONT Cleared at T-27
(MON) EWR-ORD Cleared at T-27
(MON) ORD-SAN Cleared at T-27
(MON) EWR-DFW Cleared at T-10

MON)LGA-DFW 4/32 ended up bailing at T-2 (as the flight was delayed 12 hours, it then opened wide up)
(MON) LGA-DFW 3/16 (following flight after the 12 hour delayed flight) ended up bailing on that as it was delayed as well.

(TUE) EWR-CLT Cleared at T-18

(SAT) JFK-DFW Cleared at T-27
(SAT) JFK-LAX Cleared at T-27

Alaska Upgrade
EWR-LAX Booked at T-6 (4 open seats in F no one on the list ) soon as done checking in would only let me select Econ Regular or pay to upgrade to J for $212 (logged out of it to go back to my seat reservation as I know this triggers the ability to select Premium class seats) by the time I did this I was auto-upgraded to First. Flight ended up going out with 1 seat empty in J.
jamabam likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.