Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Where are you finding value with your AA miles these days?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where are you finding value with your AA miles these days?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2024, 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by FlyinMike
You generally get pretty good value on domestic itineraries that involve small regional airports. Also, in my case, avoiding having to pay for dog kennel and someone to come by every day and check on our little chicken flock. I add those costs in and I'm at over 16c / mile redemption!
Flying to a wedding this weekend; flight's cash price has hovered around ~$800, but I paid 19,500 miles for the 2.5 hour nonstop flight. I know, I know, AA miles are supposed to be used for international business and partner flights and whatever...but they get me on my domestic trips for free and in MCE with occasional upgrades to first class, and I like that.
Old Jun 17, 2024, 7:58 pm

Programs: Bonvoy ambassador - lifetime plat / Hilton diamond / hyatt globalist / AA CK baby!
Originally Posted by bpc3qh
Flying to a wedding this weekend; flight's cash price has hovered around ~$800, but I paid 19,500 miles for the 2.5 hour nonstop flight. I know, I know, AA miles are supposed to be used for international business and partner flights and whatever...but they get me on my domestic trips for free and in MCE with occasional upgrades to first class, and I like that.
in the last two months i got three round trip domestic F flights for right around the 30k mile floor. two of them had a cash price of $800some, the last one was about $1200.
there is plenty of value that can be had flying domestic, though maybe less in economy.
Old Jun 17, 2024, 8:21 pm

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
Booked today LAS-MUC in J 62K + $5.60 for October.

Getting back is another story.
Old Jun 20, 2024, 7:53 am
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Just scored a saver award over Christmas on the JFK-HND route in Y. Two reasons it was perfect, obviously cash prices TPAC that time of year are some of the highest of the year, and I was looking for one way fare anyway.

Not my usual QR J redemption, but suits my needs and saves me a good amount of cash to use on the rest of the trip. Wouldn't have gotten anything for 35k UA or DL miles TPAC these days, so still happy that I am mostly flying crediting to AA these days.
Old Jun 20, 2024, 9:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: It's Complicated...
Originally Posted by zebranz
Booked today LAS-MUC in J 62K + $5.60 for October.

Getting back is another story.
Getting both directions to work out is always the tough part of the puzzle!
MarkOK likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2024, 1:07 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HHonors (working back up)
Originally Posted by 3544quebec
Gosh, I've never thought to include the value of a chicken in my award calculations. I shall change that going forward.
It's only because I am cheap frugal and we really like fresh eggs!
Old Jun 20, 2024, 1:22 pm

BNA-SYD and back for 80K each way in J, leaving next week; two passengers. Booked last August and schedule optimized after an AA change.
Old Jun 20, 2024, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by Long Train Runnin

Not my usual QR J redemption...
Would you be willing to give us a quick tutorial of how you search for and identify QR J redemptions?

Much appreciated if you would.
Old Jun 20, 2024, 3:10 pm
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by saunders111
Would you be willing to give us a quick tutorial of how you search for and identify QR J redemptions?

Much appreciated if you would.
This thread is your friend:
Qatar Airways / QR: Redeem AA Miles for Award (master thd)

Long story short I usually let the availability guide my travels, but have gotten lucky twice in the last few years getting trips from the US East Coast into Africa (one trip to NBO and one to CPT) on the days I needed for 2 people. That kind of redemption reminds me why I put in the time I do on FT.
worldiswide likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2024, 2:05 pm

Programs: Avios
I have found some good deals while planning our European trip for next year . I found many dates with 39-40k in premium economy from MIA to CDG in May and I also found many dates from ATH to MIA in May in Business class for 54k. If anyone is planning this far ahead there are definitely some good deals out there. I want to add that these prices were available for many different travel dates.
Happy and binarycanary like this.
Old Jun 23, 2024, 4:00 pm

Im going to LAX FRA LAX in business next month for about 115-120k in miles, under $200 in taxes.

I dont think Im ever flying for much less in the front of the plane.

I was surprised to find decent redemption options for the summer so close to departure.
Old Jun 23, 2024, 5:48 pm

Programs: AA Life Plat 4mm, Hilton Diamond
Just booked OMA-LIS for 19k, J/PE we’re both high, April trip.
Thought let’s try Porto home, got OPO/MAD/CLT/OMA in J for 57.5 + $93 IB then AA.
Priced same trip around $2500 so bit over .03.
Old Jun 23, 2024, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by kmandrew
Just booked OMA-LIS for 19k, J/PE were both high, April trip.
Suggest that you double-check that. Anything trans-Atlantic in Premium Economy -- let alone Business -- for 19K miles does not sound correct.
Old Jun 24, 2024, 10:08 am

DFW to Grand Cayman non-stops only 8k points each way all through most of January and February.

Or so I thought. Booked it yesterday and today AA cancelled the weekday non-stops January and early February, so I had to move my flights to late February.

Who knows whether those non-stops get cancelled as well.
Old Jun 24, 2024, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by avatexrs
DFW to Grand Cayman non-stops only 8k points each way all through most of January and February.

Or so I thought. Booked it yesterday and today AA cancelled the weekday non-stops January and early February, so I had to move my flights to late February.

Who knows whether those non-stops get cancelled as well.
You did not want to be re-routed via MIA instead of changing your dates?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.