Wiki Posts
Search

Confirmed: AA to launch DFW-BNE flights

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2024 | 12:09 am
10 Countries Visited5 Years on Site

Programs: Alaska 75K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, *A Gold w/ TK M&S
BNE - DFW: Crazy airfares!

Hi all, I was glad to see AA load Brisbane to Dallas with a new 787-9 (hoping for good upgrade chances, ain't no way AA is filling a 51-seat Biz cabin on this route)

However, the cheapest one-way fare is something like $1400? Have they just not loaded cheaper fare buckets yet, or are they extremely optimistic for demand on this route? Haven't found any routings for sale of New Zealand via Brisbane to USA (via/to Dallas), which typically is cheaper than the ex-Australia departures
Old Feb 15, 2024 | 2:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
15 Years on Site

Programs: TK Elite
Give it some time for cheaper fares to be loaded. You can't expect that from the very introduction of a new destination.
Old Feb 15, 2024 | 6:22 am
20 Years on Site

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by BAYLIFE
Hi all, I was glad to see AA load Brisbane to Dallas with a new 787-9 (hoping for good upgrade chances, ain't no way AA is filling a 51-seat Biz cabin on this route)

However, the cheapest one-way fare is something like $1400? Have they just not loaded cheaper fare buckets yet, or are they extremely optimistic for demand on this route? Haven't found any routings for sale of New Zealand via Brisbane to USA (via/to Dallas), which typically is cheaper than the ex-Australia departures
I used the multi city search for a random Saturday and got $639 AKL-BNE-DFW.

18wheeler_vanrekt likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2024 | 7:43 am
10 Countries Visited20 Years on Site

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
I have a friend who is CK, who states AA had flown to BNE before, however, I do not remember this, hopefully, someone can help me here, has AA ever flown its own metal between the US and BNE?
AA flew its own metal between the US and Sydney in the early 1990s, but the route did not last very long.
Old Feb 15, 2024 | 8:31 am
15 Years on Site

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
AA media release

Many years ago QF used to operate AA 72 SYD DFW and the return AA73 DFW BNE SYD, with a B747. Expect AA code shared on that route. The B747 did not have the range for DFW SYD against the prevailing head winds. SYD-DFW-SYD non stop both ways came later with newer aircraft.
When they switched to the A380 and the non-stop SYD-DFW, it was heavily weight restricted. I recall they had to fly it with 100 empty seats in coach. I believe it was the longest flight in the world at the time, around 2013. Made for a nearly-guaranteed row to myself in coach; poor mans business class!
D3Kingg likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2024 | 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
15 Years on Site

Programs: AA LT PLT, DL Gold, Bonvoy LT Titanium, HH Diamond, National Executive Elite

Do you have access to Yield Management data to make your comment?
Old Feb 15, 2024 | 4:26 pm
40 Countries Visited1M10 Years on Site

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond

However, the cheapest one-way fare is something like $1400? Have they just not loaded cheaper fare buckets yet, or are they extremely optimistic for demand on this route?
Originally Posted by SK AAR
Give it some time for cheaper fares to be loaded. You can't expect that from the very introduction of a new destination.
Maybe it's just me...but $1400 for a one-way on this route doesn't seem that outrageous or expensive. Considering a roundtrip DFW-SYD purchased for next month is running USD~3K in main cabin on AA.com right now.
FlightNurse and ZenFlyer like this.
Old Feb 15, 2024 | 7:21 pm

Admittedly... no. But, it's AA out of not Sydney/Melbourne w/ a bigger Biz class cabin than Qantas (which uses a 28-seat A330-200 to LAX, which I'd expect to get more demand than DFW from BNE unless AA is gonna induce huge amounts of demand with this route from BNE. Which, typically isn't done by sky-high fares)
Old Feb 15, 2024 | 7:41 pm
30 Countries Visited500k10 Years on Site

Programs: AA, but I play the field
Admittedly... no. But, it's AA out of not Sydney/Melbourne w/ a bigger Biz class cabin than Qantas (which uses a 28-seat A330-200 to LAX, which I'd expect to get more demand than DFW from BNE unless AA is gonna induce huge amounts of demand with this route from BNE. Which, typically isn't done by sky-high fares)
I'm guessing they may be testing the waters regarding demand. If you live in the middle or south of the country, the west coast connections to Australia require a lot of lead time, making DFW a much more attractive routing. (I paid a premium last year to fly STL-IAH-SYD in lieu of STL-SFO-SYD on UA, and it was worth every cent). From my research last year it seems a lot of people flying to Australia these days are willing to invest in a business ticket due to the length of the flight, even on leisure trips. SYD is a pain for intl - to - domestic transfers (I understand MEL is much better), and BNE is a prime tourist launching pad for exploring the Great Barrier Reef. So this route has a lot of "pull" factors going for it imho. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see the fares drop too, but $1400 also does not seem "sky high" to me. The prospect of better routing already has me thinking about another trip sooner than I might have otherwise.

ETA: When I was at SYD last year waiting in the long line for an airside bus transfer from the international to domestic terminal, the Aussie behind me sighed loudly and said "this is what I get for not flying into Brisbane . . . "
QPProletarian likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2024 | 10:11 pm
15 Years on Site

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by ZenFlyer
I'm guessing they may be testing the waters regarding demand. If you live in the middle or south of the country, the west coast connections to Australia require a lot of lead time, making DFW a much more attractive routing. (I paid a premium last year to fly STL-IAH-SYD in lieu of STL-SFO-SYD on UA, and it was worth every cent). From my research last year it seems a lot of people flying to Australia these days are willing to invest in a business ticket due to the length of the flight, even on leisure trips. SYD is a pain for intl - to - domestic transfers (I understand MEL is much better), and BNE is a prime tourist launching pad for exploring the Great Barrier Reef. So this route has a lot of "pull" factors going for it imho. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see the fares drop too, but $1400 also does not seem "sky high" to me. The prospect of better routing already has me thinking about another trip sooner than I might have otherwise.

ETA: When I was at SYD last year waiting in the long line for an airside bus transfer from the international to domestic terminal, the Aussie behind me sighed loudly and said "this is what I get for not flying into Brisbane . . . "
Note that BNE is just as bad as SYD for international to domestic connections (or at least was in 2014). As you say, MEL is much better, since the domestic and international terminals are adjacent and walkable instead of almost 2 km apart in BNE and "only" a km apart but across a runway and therefore very unwalkable in SYD. So if BNE is the actual final destination, huge advantage. But if CNS or another airport truly at the reef is the destination, BNE "just" has the advantage of being several hundred miles more direct than SYD.

Absolutely agreed that routing from DFW to Australia beats the pants off of LAX/SFO if coming from eastern North America. Also agreed that $1400 one way doesn't actually seem insane for US-Australia.
ZenFlyer likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2024 | 11:10 pm

Yea, done Intl to Domestic on Qantas twice via BNE. 10-15 min bus that runs every 10-15 minutes, tho probably the lines for it are never as long as the Sydney transfer buses. Did that one once with 2.5 hrs buffer on separate tix and wasnt sweating ever
ZenFlyer likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2024 | 10:18 am
15 Years on Site

Originally Posted by ZenFlyer

I did an international to domestic transfer at BNE a few years ago, and not only did I have to take a long slow bus from one terminal to another, I had to pay a steep fare to ride that bus. There was no free transfer from the I to D terminal as far as I could find! Now, this was some time ago, so things may well have changed... but that is what i remember.
ZenFlyer likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2024 | 10:24 am

BrizzieBus is 110% free these days
Old Feb 16, 2024 | 2:14 pm
30 Countries Visited500k10 Years on Site

Programs: AA, but I play the field
Originally Posted by saunders111
I did an international to domestic transfer at BNE a few years ago, and not only did I have to take a long slow bus from one terminal to another, I had to pay a steep fare to ride that bus. There was no free transfer from the I to D terminal as far as I could find! Now, this was some time ago, so things may well have changed... but that is what i remember.
Originally Posted by 18wheeler_vanrekt
BrizzieBus is 110% free these days
Good points of clarification, thanks. Upon reflection, I think the Aussie I was quoting had BNE as his final destination, so he was really complaining about a direct versus connecting flight.
Old Feb 17, 2024 | 10:20 am
10 Years on Site

Programs: AA, United, British Airways, Alaska Air
Before the pandemic, ORD was going to get a direct flight to BNE... guess that won't be happening now, disappointing!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.