Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Unable to access JL PNR from AA purchased ticket

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2024, 3:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium

This morning I purchased a RT AUS-BKK from travel in late July. The ticket includes travel on JL operated flights, although I purchased the AA codeshare. According to AA, the trip is ticketed. The AA website has a JL PNR, but when I search for the record on the JL site, I get an error message that the record can't be found. Is this normal? Is there a delay in the ticket processing on the JL side? I don't mind making calls to customer service if something's wrong, but I don't want to waste time if something like this is normal and will clear itself up in a day or so.
Old May 27, 2024, 3:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
The JL website is incredibly finicky with codeshare PNRs. The combination of PNR, passenger name format, and flight number format it needs to correctly pull up the record has a always been a mystery to me, and it usually takes me several rounds of trial and error before I find the information set it actually wants to get the record pulled up.

JL gets my vote for the list of the top worst airline websites.
dvs7310 likes this.
Old May 27, 2024, 3:34 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
I had the same problem earlier this month with AA-issued tickets that included JL-operated flights.

To look at my reservation on JL's website I used the AA ticket number (001xxxx) with the JL flight number and my first and last names.
bse118 likes this.
Old May 27, 2024, 10:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Do you have a middle name on the reservation? That tends to be a tricky one if so, on the JL site in the First Name box you have to enter First and Middle names together with no space.

Exactly as bse118 said, JL definitely deserves the award for the world's worst airline website. NH is right in line for the number 2 position.

Any other airline website just requires PNR and Last Name only to pull up a reservation. JL wants your past 3 zip codes, child's first name, and mother's maiden name too.
Old May 27, 2024, 10:37 pm

It’s a name issue. It has to be exact as to what is Jls system. Try with middle name. Try without middle name. Try running the first and middle together. Try a space in between the two
Antarius and brenc3 like this.
Old May 28, 2024, 2:29 pm
Original Poster

I've tried pretty much everything suggested. With and without middle name, using e-ticket and PNR, etc. I will try reaching out to AA via X since the phone agents are going to be extremely busy today.
Old May 28, 2024, 2:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP/1mm, Marriott Titanium/LT Gold, UA Silver
I have been having the same issue - tried every combination I can think of to no avail. Super frustrating to say the least
Old May 28, 2024, 4:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
I recall having trouble with this for one of my reservations. Wasn’t a name issue, but it was the flight number that I didn’t get right on my first attempt.

Unfortunately, I can’t remember if it was the first domestic AA segment#, the AA codeshare# of the 1st JL operated flight, or the JL prime flight# (even though it was booked as an AA codeshare) that ended up working.
Old May 28, 2024, 4:49 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hilton Diamond
I had the same issue - could not get it to work.

Finally tried the AA flight number along with my record locator with JAL and that worked.
Old May 28, 2024, 5:53 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75K, CX Green
JAL will only pull up the reservation if there is at least 1 JL-coded flight. Even then, they do not allow seat selection on JL flights with other airlines' numbers (like AA*JL). You have to reach out to AA for seat selection, special meals, etc. They seem to be very particular that marketing carriers make requests, and would sometimes adamantly refuse to help you with anything if you call them.

Otherwise, a common reason JL's website doesn't work is if you didn't prepend the flight number with leading 0s. For JAL flight 4, sometimes you need to put in JL004 for the website to work
Old May 28, 2024, 7:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by shd9
Even then, they do not allow seat selection on JL flights with other airlines' numbers (like AA*JL). You have to reach out to AA for seat selection
I was able to on JL website earlier this year. There were some other reports of this functionality becoming enabled recently on AA codeshares.
Old May 29, 2024, 12:53 pm
Original Poster

I contacted the Twitter team yesterday. You have to use the AA codeshare number instead of the JL flight number. Makes a weird sort of logic, I guess
Old May 29, 2024, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
I'm assuming that it's mainly cultural differences which cause these problems. The Japanese may think that JAL's website is great and US carriers are "weird". For example, I know that some of my Japanese friends have a hard time putting their addresses into a US carrier's website.
Old May 30, 2024, 6:21 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Originally Posted by formeraa
I'm assuming that it's mainly cultural differences which cause these problems. The Japanese may think that JAL's website is great and US carriers are "weird". For example, I know that some of my Japanese friends have a hard time putting their addresses into a US carrier's website.
It's not only the ancient web coding on both JL and ANA, but with JL one thing that makes it a very annoying site is that you have to enter so much information before it'll pull up a reservation.

First name, last name, maybe middle name with or without a space between it and your first name, Flight number, and PNR.

The global standard to pull a reservation is simply PNR and Last name, eliminating all the potential issues with Asian airlines and middle names.
Old Aug 9, 2024, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Yes, the JL website is quite annoying. What is this with having to pick every time your language and location? Anyway, I've always had some kind of trouble accessing JL flight reservations using AA ticket numbers. It usually works for me as long as the flight is not the codeshare, but the JL flight number.

This time, a new result. Recently bought a ticket on the JL website (JL ticket number) that included both a JL flight and an AA flight (AA flight number). All good on the website, could access the reservation, pick seats, and order special meals. Called AA to apply a SWU to the AA leg, so the ticket got reissued to AA stock. Now, bupkus access, with the JL PNR, the AA ticket number, etc.

The message I get is this one:

Error: We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience.
The schedule of your reserved flight has been changed. However, reservation details cannot be displayed due to the following reasons:
• Reservation includes an upgrade
• Connecting flight must be changed due to a flight time change
• Flight route or seat class has changed

I think everything is OK (my seat and meal choice selections have been preserved), and I can see the flights (but not the JL seats) on the AA app. But is it possible that the reissue mucked up the seat assignments and meal choice?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.