Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Does anyone here remember the Old drop down Screen on B738 first class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2024, 12:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: Cathay Pacific Asia Miles Korean Air Skypass Philippine Airlines Mabuhay Miles

Flew LAX-EWR in 2004 in Domestic First Class and when I flew it My IFE option was the drop down screen in the aisle. For those that flew AA in 2004 onwards when those were replaced by what we have now Streaming only. Does anyone here remember that option on B737-800s domestic first class? For me I enjoyed it
Old Jun 16, 2024, 1:40 am

No doubt, most here remember the dropdown screens since AA had them on some planes until just a few years ago. They were in Y as well as F. When you say "in the aisle", I think you mean on both sides of the aisle under the overhead bins, centered over the 2 seats (F) or 3 seats (Y).
DiamondMile likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2024, 7:28 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
For many years, USAirways got the Airbuses delivered with the LCD screens above the left and right sides of the cabin, every several rows. I remember when they were ripped out not long after the HP-US merger, with management claiming the reduced costs in weight, maintenance and content licensing would save them millions.

I did find some pics of AA planes with the screens in both the aisle and over the seats/under the overhead bins on 737's.

dw likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2024, 8:58 am

Programs: AA 1MM CK, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador (RIP SPG), BAEC Gold
The 321Ts still have drop-downs (nearly permanently in the half-down position) for the safety videos.
spanishflea, dw and BA1321 like this.
Old Jun 16, 2024, 9:02 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by FlyingEgghead
No doubt, most here remember the dropdown screens since AA had them on some planes until just a few years ago. They were in Y as well as F. When you say "in the aisle", I think you mean on both sides of the aisle under the overhead bins, centered over the 2 seats (F) or 3 seats (Y).
I think OP is talking about the onboard screen a generation before that. Before drop down small flat screen on under the overhead bins, 738 and 752 had cathode tube TV like (do you remember those?) screen mounted on the celling in the aisle. The celling at the front area was low so that screen in the front of the first row of first class was drop down mounted in the celling. FAs had to manually pull down the TV for safety demonstration and in flight Entertainement. I remember that those screens had to be stowed during takeoff and landing, when going to the lav during the flight, I had to clear my head a little to avoid my head slamming into the screen.
allianceflyer9506 likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2024, 9:08 am

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott
In their final years on short hops, I always wondered who elected to show the annoying NBC universal content over a simple flight tracker map, or how much AA was being paid by NBC for that

Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
I think OP is talking about the onboard screen a generation before that. Before drop down small flat screen on under the overhead bins, 738 and 752 had cathode tube TV like (do you remember those?) screen mounted on the celling in the aisle.
Lol my memory of those on the 752, not too long ago, is one getting stuck half way down and the FA punching it quite hard to unjam it.

Old Jun 16, 2024, 9:16 am
Suspended

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by allianceflyer9506
Flew LAX-EWR in 2004 in Domestic First Class and when I flew it My IFE option was the drop down screen in the aisle. For those that flew AA in 2004 onwards when those were replaced by what we have now Streaming only. Does anyone here remember that option on B737-800s domestic first class? For me I enjoyed it
I don't on AA because 20 years ago I wasn't flying AA I was living in Scottsdale flying HP. However on HP they had the same dropdowns on their 'buses and always enjoyed watching "Just for Laughs".
Old Jun 16, 2024, 9:34 am
Formerly known as tireman77

100%. The CRT TVs on Narrow-bodies. How about the Projectors on the bulkhead walls for movies on Wide-bodies.

My 2nd trip on a commercial airplane included a connection on AA DC-10 ORD-LAX. You had to decipher from the pages near the back of the In Flight Magazine what movie you might get depending on if it was the First half of the month, or the back half, and whether you were travelling Eastbound or Westbound. And even then sometimes it was a different movie...

LovePrunes likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2024, 9:49 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
I also remember hollow plastic tube "earbuds" for the sound. There is something said about the pull-down screen on the front of the cabin on wide bodies, the screen size. I wonder if people are satisfied with watching content on a cell phone's small screen. When I want to see a movie or live stream TV (usually a sports game) during the flight, I take out my laptop computer because of the size of the screen.
scoonee likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2024, 10:22 am
formerly wchinchen

Programs: AA CK, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by allianceflyer9506
Pretty sure Fiji Airways still fly their 737 with VHS movies. If you want nostalgia, just fly their HNL to NAN and enjoy the VHS movies with a Fiji bitter.
PLeblond likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2024, 10:40 am
Suspended

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by HaleiwaFlyer
Pretty sure Fiji Airways still fly their 737 with VHS movies. If you want nostalgia, just fly their HNL to NAN and enjoy the VHS movies with a Fiji bitter.
I remember flying a UA 744 (think it was called global first for about 70K RT miles) from SFO-LHR in 2009 and you were given your own personal VHS C library. lol
HaleiwaFlyer likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2024, 10:45 am

Programs: AAdvantage, DL SkyMiles, TrueBlue, Marriott Bonvoy, Amtrak Rewards
Originally Posted by lrdpenn
In their final years on short hops, I always wondered who elected to show the annoying NBC universal content over a simple flight tracker map, or how much AA was being paid by NBC for that
I remember these on the 767-300s
Old Jun 16, 2024, 11:35 am

Programs: Lowly Marriott Gold, AA Platinum(OW Sapphire)
Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
I also remember hollow plastic tube "earbuds" for the sound. There is something said about the pull-down screen on the front of the cabin on wide bodies, the screen size. I wonder if people are satisfied with watching content on a cell phone's small screen. When I want to see a movie or live stream TV (usually a sports game) during the flight, I take out my laptop computer because of the size of the screen.
I recall the time before the screens, with the plastic tubes and a “menu” of programs (stole a pic from a BA entertainment brochure on eBay)

Old Jun 16, 2024, 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by PHL
I did find some pics of AA planes with the screens in both the aisle and over the seats/under the overhead bins on 737's.

Important caveat: That picture with dropdown screens over the aisle is not a real AA plane! What shocked and confused me is that the safety card indicates the MAX 8, which was first delivered to AA in 2017 and has never had IFE screens. Also, the American Way cover is from January 2018. Sure enough, the photo is actually of a training mockup that does not match the actual configuration.
Antarius, PHL and notquiteaff like this.
Old Jun 16, 2024, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott LT Plat | Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by FlyingEgghead
Important caveat: That picture with dropdown screens over the aisle is not a real AA plane! What shocked and confused me is that the safety card indicates the MAX 8, which was first delivered to AA in 2017 and has never had IFE screens. Also, the American Way cover is from January 2018. Sure enough, the photo is actually of a training mockup that does not match the actual configuration.
Good eye. It didn't sit right for me as well - AA had the CRTs in the aisle with the initial delivery of the 738s, which were then replaced with the small LCD dropdowns in the overhead. The 752s went from CRT to LCD overheads in the aisle. I do not recall any LCD screens in the aisle on 737s.

It appears to be a training mock up from this company: https://www.newton-design.com/lm-cabin-service

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.