Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

In-App "Upgrade for Cash" offer makes a mockery of loyalty + miles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

In-App "Upgrade for Cash" offer makes a mockery of loyalty + miles

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2024, 9:54 am

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott
I don't think big-business loyalty programs are inherently designed to build a relationship. They are designed to incentivize greater wallet share.
Old Jul 13, 2024, 10:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA-EXP, LATAM Gold+, BA-Blues
Originally Posted by scubadu
You, as an individual leisure traveler, can't really have a "relationship" with a multi-billion dollar per year company
Originally Posted by lrdpenn
I don't think big-business loyalty programs are inherently designed to build a relationship. They are designed to incentivize greater wallet share.
That's all completely fair, in a vacuum.

However - as lrdpenn points out, the entire conceit of loyalty programs is to drive return business, by encouraging marginal purchases by individual travelers with the company.

Insofar as AA/Oneworld is the airline/alliance with which I've been flying the most for 20+ years, the preference I give to those airlines for my travel spend is rewarded in somewhat predictable ways, due to the nature of the commercial relationship (elite status, in this case).

When the reward for that preference is no longer predictable (for example, when the expectation of an orderly SWU allocation process is bypassed by in-app offers for the airline to grab a bit of quick cash), that's what I meant by the title of this thread: making a mockery of loyalty.

I don't expect or imagine that my individual custom makes any difference at all to AA. But the disdain their approach here shows for customer loyalty is, as I've said, gross.

And "gross" is the new "Something Special in the Air"

We can acknowledge it, but we don't have to like it.
Old Jul 13, 2024, 10:18 am

Programs: AA 1MM CK, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador (RIP SPG), BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by lrdpenn
When the buy-ups are this low, it can be an interesting case of how the left and right hand don't talk. I wonder what AA's internal liability per mile is on their balance sheet. I have to imagine this $0.001 is getting close, if not below the value. Isn't it financially advantageous, then, for AA to clear the upgrade in these cases? One could create complex inventory arguments, but I would say the AAdvantage team could create a script to "purchase" the buy-up from the buy-up team when it makes sense and turn a small internal accounting profit. Same argument for SWUs. I'd guess internally SWUs are valued at roughly equivalent to the highest miles+points value. There should probably be some type of short circuit on C availability for these cases.
Any effect of internal accounting would get eliminated via consolidation (elimination) entries.

Cash is king and I’m sure AA management would take positive cash flow any day of the week over releasing a current liability (in the case of a SWU, which could release without any hit to income). In this case, the $377 offer. We don’t have details on when this flight is happening, but the low offer means they’re foregoing selling that seat for $2-4k.

The debits / credits of all of this are interesting (at least for me), but going into that would certainly take this off topic!
Holometer3D, MSPeconomist and hhdl like this.
Old Jul 13, 2024, 10:22 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by checkerboard
However - as lrdpenn points out, the entire conceit of loyalty programs is to drive return business, by encouraging marginal purchases by individual travelers with the company.
Not anymore, not with AA. Once AA started rewarding CC spend the same as BIS, the loyalty program as you desire it went away. AAdvantage’s purpose is not to to drive marginal purchases by travelers, but to drive CC spend so that Citi and Barclays buy even more miles.
Old Jul 13, 2024, 10:35 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
I know I should probably buy a lottery ticket after what I'm about to say, but it's a data point that there's still some utility in SWUs. Myself and one companion were booked in PE on a flight to Europe in mid October. There were 2 seats left in J, on a 787-8, which the app was offering cash upgrades to for $4500 each. Seeing little hope, I went ahead and called last week and got wait-listed for SWUs, figuring it was a long shot. Two days later, AA cleared us into the last 2 seats in J! While I can't wrap my head around the logic behind this, I'm nonetheless thankful. It seems that releasing C inventory has little to do with how full J actually is, even 3 months out.
Old Jul 13, 2024, 10:45 am

Programs: AA 1MM CK, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador (RIP SPG), BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by msr0013
I know I should probably buy a lottery ticket after what I'm about to say, but it's a data point that there's still some utility in SWUs. Myself and one companion were booked in PE on a flight to Europe in mid October. There were 2 seats left in J, on a 787-8, which the app was offering cash upgrades to for $4500 each. Seeing little hope, I went ahead and called last week and got wait-listed for SWUs, figuring it was a long shot. Two days later, AA cleared us into the last 2 seats in J! While I can't wrap my head around the logic behind this, I'm nonetheless thankful. It seems that releasing C inventory has little to do with how full J actually is, even 3 months out.
That is solid, and a good use of a SWU. If you remember, what was the fare difference because sometimes the app upgrade price is out of sync with the fare difference. I’m surprised they’d let the last two seats go now for a flight in October, unless it was a glitch.

Also, I’d hazard a guess that at some level these are all disparate systems / processes.
donotblink likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2024, 10:52 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by ryanbriar
That is solid, and a good use of a SWU. If you remember, what was the fare difference because sometimes the app upgrade price is out of sync with the fare difference. I’m surprised they’d let the last two seats go now for a flight in October, unless it was a glitch.

Also, I’d hazard a guess that at some level these are all disparate systems / processes.
IIRC, the fare difference at booking between PE and J was appx $6500 RT.
MSPeconomist and ryanbriar like this.
Old Jul 13, 2024, 1:29 pm

Programs: Accor Silver
Originally Posted by mcgahat
I do not chase status these days. I use the buy up process as it is the best avenue anymore. Loyalty was always fools gold anyways.
Same for me, once the 8 SWUs for EXP got chopped and miles earned = 2x miles flown got taken away it has overall been downhill
Spiff and mcgahat like this.

Last edited by binarycanary; Jul 13, 2024 at 1:46 pm
Old Jul 13, 2024, 3:43 pm

The flaw is thinking Advantage is a loyalty program. It is a marketing program designed to increase revenue for AA.
jmw, DaxOmni, arollins and 5 others like this.
Old Jul 13, 2024, 6:13 pm

Programs: Bonvoy ambassador - lifetime plat / Hilton diamond / hyatt globalist / AA CK baby!
i dont get it. you are offered a dirt cheap upgrade on a modestly long international trip and you...... complain? i dont care about your pending SWU. thats straight up looking a gift horse in the mouth. take the paid upgrade and use the SWU on a flight that would be much more expensive to sit in the pointy section.
USFlyerUS, bgasser, SJOGuy and 9 others like this.
Old Jul 14, 2024, 4:38 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
I love these cheap J upgrades offers on long hauls. I fly way more long hauls than I have SWUs for, so these just give me another way to upgrade cheaply.

And there's far more to EXP status than upgrades....
Old Jul 14, 2024, 8:54 am

Programs: AA EXP 3.8MM AC; UA Silver; Hyatt Globalist; Honors Diamond; Bonvoy LT TTM
I remember 14-15 years ago when I was PLT, if i would use stickers to waitlist for upgrades, I'd almost always get it, as every elite on the flight wasn't competing with me for complimentary upgrades. It seems we're seeing ~$140-$280 upgrade offers being offered to everyone on 2-3 hour flights that would have cost 2-3 stickers $40 stickers back in the day. At this point, I wish they'd reinstate the sticker model, so upgrades would return to being restricted to elites (not offer to everyone on the flight), and consider pricing them based on status, so GLD's would pay more for stickers, and EXP the least. This keeps some value for our loyalty and allows AA to monetize upgrades.
worldiswide likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2024, 3:51 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Loyalty went out with credit card spend towards elite status. The perfect AA customer for AA? Someone that spend like mad on co-branded ccs and never sets foot on an AA plane.
Old Jul 14, 2024, 8:04 pm

A similar point was just made in a VFTW article today:
Sells upgrades cheap.. too cheap? American Airlines has a good international business seat, and considering how bad the food is on Delta and United theirs is more than serviceable. It’s also very accessible, since they sell upgrades online very aggressively. But they frequently sell upgrades for less than the cash co-pay on a mileage upgrade award while not making mileage upgrade award seats available. That’s bad for the mileage program, and even for short-term revenue!
Old Jul 14, 2024, 9:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by FlyingEgghead
A similar point was just made in a VFTW article today:
VFTW's view is entirely defined by what helps Leff sell credit cards. Not by objective reality.
asnovici, jmw, ryanbriar and 3 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.