Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Tips for three consecutive nights of flying

Old Jul 17, 2024 | 12:43 pm
Original Poster
15 Years on Site

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy

In my eagerness to construct a lucrative tier points run (crediting AA to BA) I’ve realized that I’ve booked three nights running of overnight or late night flights:

Day 1
PHX-JFK on AA (overnight, arrives next day early morning)
Day 2
JFK-MEX on AA (evening but arrives late, so will get to sleep in a hotel bed)
Day 3
MEX-LHR on BA (overnight, arrives next day afternoon)

All The first two are in business class but that just means a large seat for the first two (I think) although I do get a flat bed for the last one is in premium economy

Ideas and suggestions for making this as reasonable (least unpleasant) as possible? (Canceling or rescheduling isn’t possible…)

Last edited by salut0; Jul 18, 2024 at 4:34 pm
Old Jul 17, 2024 | 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
10 Countries Visited2M10 Years on Site

Location: SEA — the REAL Washington; occasionally (but a lot less often than before) in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K (closing in on 0.5MM)
look into day rates at the TWA Hotel at JFK so you can at least get some hotel time on the long layover
KBMIFlyer, thedeeg and carlosdca like this.
Old Jul 17, 2024 | 1:42 pm
Original Poster
15 Years on Site

Originally Posted by jrl767
look into day rates at the TWA Hotel at JFK so you can at least get some hotel time on the long layover
Thanks — NYC is not a problem since I have easy access to a place to rest between flights. Tips for the flights themselves or the airports? Could I access the JFK SoHo lounge to take a shower as a BA Gold member when arriving from PHX?
Old Jul 17, 2024 | 1:51 pm

Programs: BA, QF, DL, A3, IHG
I think the PHX-JFK redeye could be the most unpleasant. If you start of on the right foot getting decent sleep on that one the others might be ok. Definitely nice to be finishing with a flat bed.
Old Jul 17, 2024 | 1:57 pm
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited5 Years on Site

Originally Posted by salut0
Tips for the flights themselves or the airports?
Hydrate. Don't drink too much alcohol. Try to walk around a bit at the airports. Hydrate.
aj411 and IflyonAA like this.
Old Jul 17, 2024 | 2:01 pm
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited5 Years on Site

Could I access the JFK SoHo lounge to take a shower as a BA Gold member when arriving from PHX?
I believe so, but I find the rules for non-AA OneWorld elites at AA lounges very confusing.
Old Jul 17, 2024 | 2:07 pm
15 Years on Site

Programs: QF Plat, OW Emerald, AAdvantage, Bonvoy Titanium, HH Gold
Thanks — NYC is not a problem since I have easy access to a place to rest between flights. Tips for the flights themselves or the airports? Could I access the JFK SoHo lounge to take a shower as a BA Gold member when arriving from PHX?
You definitely have access to the SoHo lounge at JFK, they staff there are familiar with OWE and you shouldn't have any issues - Nice showers as well.
salut0 likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2024 | 3:16 pm
10 Countries Visited10 Years on Site

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott
Check the app 24 hours prior to first flight departure if you can same day confirmed change to the late afternoon PHX-JFK and avoid the first redeye. Wouldn't have my hopes up for it but who knows.
salut0 likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2024 | 3:49 pm
Original Poster
15 Years on Site

Originally Posted by lrdpenn
Check the app 24 hours prior to first flight departure if you can same day confirmed change to the late afternoon PHX-JFK and avoid the first redeye. Wouldn't have my hopes up for it but who knows.
Unfortunately the day leading up to the PHX-JFK segment is busy with my flights LGA-DFW-ELP-PHX and then the PHX-JFK after a 3 hour layover at PHX…

Last edited by salut0; Jul 17, 2024 at 3:55 pm
Old Jul 17, 2024 | 6:29 pm
40 Countries Visited20 Years on Site

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Wow. Good luck. I have flown MEX-LAX-JFK because it allowed me to stay later in MEX and have dinner. And then there was GRU-JFK-NRT-ICN when I toyed with asking my wife to meet me at JFK to relieve me of my dirty laundry (didn't do it .) But nothing as am ambitious as this. Good luck.
salut0 likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2024 | 11:07 am
Original Poster
15 Years on Site

Originally Posted by plas
I think the PHX-JFK redeye could be the most unpleasant. If you start of on the right foot getting decent sleep on that one the others might be ok. Definitely nice to be finishing with a flat bed.
I have to apologize for misposting: in my eagerness to hope that I was actually in CW MEX-LHR, I forgot that this leg is actually a WT+ ticket. Oh well, hoping for a decently priced AUP or POUG or even an op-up!
Old Jul 18, 2024 | 11:36 am
10 Countries Visited10 Years on Site

Programs: AADULtArer
Three night flights in a row. This reminds me of the drink set called 'The .......s" I had at the Rongovian Embassy

The Suffering
The Dying
The Dead.

zip10001 and jrl767 like this.
Old Jul 18, 2024 | 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
20 Years on Site

low dose aspirin - blood clot can be a major bummer
salut0 and zip10001 like this.
Old Jul 18, 2024 | 12:27 pm
5 Years on Site

Programs: DL*DM/BA*G
Unfortunately the day leading up to the PHX-JFK segment is busy with my flights LGA-DFW-ELP-PHX and then the PHX-JFK after a 3 hour layover at PHX…
I would worry more about being affected by any weather at LGA or DFW and that throwing a wrench into your trip than about how tortured your flights will be...
ConstellationClass likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2024 | 12:30 pm
Original Poster
15 Years on Site

Originally Posted by cvision
I would worry more about being affected by any weather at LGA or DFW and that throwing a wrench into your trip than about how tortured your flights will be...
Hmmm.. I know protection on separate tickets isn’t standard but since these are both 001- plated and all AA-operated flights, surely they’d work with me to get back to JFK by the time I’d need to catch the MEX flight?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.