Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Perplexed By Flagship First

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2024 | 9:02 pm
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited20 Years on Site

Programs: AA 1MM/Gold, Marriott Gold
On our recent flight in F to SYD, the FAs brought a young, blind woman up to an empty seat in F. She was traveling by herself, and the genuine care and attention shown by the FAs to this woman was really amazing. They were so good to her throughout the entire flight. I dont know where she was sitting before, but it was really great to see. Like I said in my earlier thread, Flagship F is far from perfect/world class, but I still thought it was a nice step up from AA J.
ConstellationClass likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2024 | 9:38 pm
formerly wchinchen
10 Countries Visited10 Years on Site

Programs: AA CK, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by socalterp
Like I said in my earlier thread, Flagship F is far from perfect/world class, but I still thought it was a nice step up from AA J.
If you dont me asking, how much did you pay for the flight, and would you fly AA over competitors again?
Old Aug 17, 2024 | 7:22 am

For the same price, I would never choose AA F over something like CX F or JL F, but they were not options here. The only other F option was QF, and it was a lot more.

i would pay a premium for AA F over AA J. Not 2x more, but its usually not that much of a delta.
HaleiwaFlyer likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2024 | 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
20 Years on Site

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by AADFW
Glad to know I'm not the only one. That "simulated outdoor" section or balcony or whatever it's called is particularly uncomfortable.
But that horse lamp ties the room together.
AADFW, _kurt, ryanbriar and 3 others like this.
Old Aug 18, 2024 | 9:31 pm
Original Poster
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited15 Years on Site

Originally Posted by Pickles
But that horse lamp ties the room together.
Saw it twice this week. Phillippe Starck is a freaking genius. Imagine if he redesigned AA FF for both the hard and soft products. Now that would be something worth paying for!
Old Aug 18, 2024 | 9:42 pm
Original Poster
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited15 Years on Site

Originally Posted by 355F1
BTW....FFD was REALLY GOOD--definitely on par with CCR and The Pier at HKG in service and food.
You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but I resided in Hong Kong for nearly a decade and practically lived in The Wing and The Pier during many, if not most of those years. This said, I just experienced the same FFD menu shown in your photo roughly a week ago. In terms of food quality, it's wasn't even remotely a close call. Also, the current menu is a massively scaled-down shadow of itself from just two years ago. Although the burger was pretty decent to be fair.

As for your onboard experience, glad you got lucky. But this is clearly more the exception than the rule. Service levels in BA Club World are far superior to AA F most of the time.
CMTinPHL likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2024 | 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by socalterp
For the same price, I would never choose AA F over something like CX F or JL F, but they were not options here. The only other F option was QF, and it was a lot more.

i would pay a premium for AA F over AA J. Not 2x more, but its usually not that much of a delta.
Honestly I'm the opposite; I'll choose J even if the prices are not very different, but am more likely to choose CX J, JL J, or QR J over AA F, even if they cost a little more.

The only time I've booked AA F post COVID was award tickets that were randomly cheaper than J. But it really is all personal preference.
Old Aug 19, 2024 | 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by ORDflyer92
Honestly I'm the opposite; I'll choose J even if the prices are not very different, but am more likely to choose CX J, JL J, or QR J over AA F, even if they cost a little more.

The only time I've booked AA F post COVID was award tickets that were randomly cheaper than J. But it really is all personal preference.
havent flown QR, but have flown CX and JL J - and those over AA J is pretty much a given if the prices/mileage are similar. AA F vs those two in J is a little bit different. With the varied JL J offerings in the past especially, AA F for sure if trying to maximize sleep. I think Id be AA F on an overnight flight, CX/JL on a daytime flight, all things being equal. Thought that AA F was great for sleeping between the space and quiet cabin (vs a lot of FA traffic in some of the JL/CX cabins that was fairly disruptive). Just my $.02
Old Aug 20, 2024 | 10:28 am

Programs: AA, Bonvoy, Delta, Hyatt
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
If the service was that bad then please send a complaint to AA. It's long been known that AA F is only a very minor step above J, if you even want to go that far, and the crew can make or break the experience.

A very similar thread but with a more positive experience from this week:

A few thoughts on long haul Flagship F
Yes, please complain. Even though First class is eventually going away, these FA's will still be working and that behavior isn't appropriate in any class. I had the same experience as the op flying JFK-SFO and back last week in FF (paid). JFK-SFO was awful as described, but return was lovely which makes flying a true joy. I sent both a complaint and compliment about both pursers so if AA management doesn't understand what it takes to make good service work, that is truly sad.
Old Aug 20, 2024 | 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
20 Years on Site

Originally Posted by mhbnyc
I sent both a complaint and compliment about both pursers so if AA management doesn't understand what it takes to make good service work, that is truly sad.
Well they probably do understand, in a vacuum. I guess it's harder within the confines of their relationship with the FA union.
Old Aug 20, 2024 | 5:07 pm
10 Years on Site

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, IC Amb
Originally Posted by 355F1
Just did my first AA FC leg DFW-LHR today

Purser Lynn and FA Carol were both 5-star service in the sky.

I had super low expectations as I have flown CX/SQ/BA First before.

They were so damn great, friendly, attentive, proactive, that I actually sent in a comment at aa.com about them.

F was only 10k miles more on this award trip and I feel it was worth it.

BTW....FFD was REALLY GOOD--definitely on par with CCR and The Pier at HKG in service and food. However, shame on AA for closing the Flagship lounge at 10:15pm (normal closing time) when our departure was delayed until after midnight--what a terrible business decision for an airline.

FFD menu:
Originally Posted by AADFW
You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but I resided in Hong Kong for nearly a decade and practically lived in The Wing and The Pier during many, if not most of those years. This said, I just experienced the same FFD menu shown in your photo roughly a week ago. In terms of food quality, it's wasn't even remotely a close call. Also, the current menu is a massively scaled-down shadow of itself from just two years ago. Although the burger was pretty decent to be fair.

As for your onboard experience, glad you got lucky. But this is clearly more the exception than the rule. Service levels in BA Club World are far superior to AA F most of the time.
Just got off our return flight home--LHR-DFW in F.

Guess we got lucky again as the Purser Kevin was super friendly, amazing, and eager to help throughout the entire flight!

Also went back to the FFD to make sure I wasn't crazy in my opinion I posted earlier. Ordered the burger and the scallops again and they both were absolutely delicious. I'll admit the menu is extremely limited (I don't know what it USED to look like as I have never been to any AA FFD lounge as I use LAX to depart the US to Asia and Europe as the lounges and flights are better) and a lot of it does NOT look appealing but I stand by my opinions on the burger and scallops being on par with any FC lounge I have ever been to except SQ's Private Room....that place was unreal the ONE time got to visit it!

This flight only cost us 10k more miles per person, I think.....I like the leather armrests on the F seats....and the smaller cabin. It certainly is not SQ/CX/ or even BA....but it was perfectly fine for our wonderful long weekend trip to London.

socalterp and ryanbriar like this.
Old Aug 21, 2024 | 8:04 am
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited5 Years on Site

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Doing LHR-JFK in F next week. Haven't flown AA F international before, so I figured I should try it before the phase out.

At least the menu seems to be a bit better than J.

Old Aug 21, 2024 | 10:41 am
20 Years on Site

Snagged a FF SLC-DFW-LHR for my son Aug 30th for 70K miles one way. Less miles than in C. Long layover in DFW but worth it for the "treat" he'll be getting up front.
355F1 likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2024 | 11:53 am
15 Years on Site

Programs: AA Concierge Key, DL Silver, UA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold, Avis PC
Flagship First has never had seriously differentiated soft product. Back in the day it had a nicely differentiated hard product, because Business was not lie flat, and up to half the Business class seats depending on A/C lacked aisle access. It was worth paying something to avoid a 12-hour flight in a middle seat that didn't lie flat. Once Business went lie-flat, it was pretty much over, given that AA was never going to step up to the Asian and Middle East carriers' First Class standard.
Old Aug 21, 2024 | 2:52 pm
20 Years on Site

Programs: AA-Plat
Looking for advice. I also posted in the Domestic Meals thread but this may be more appropriate to find an answer.

I used miles for this flight JFK-LAX in Flagship First since Business Class was not offered for award miles. My question is the preorder breakfast choices are different between Business and First where the bagel and lox choice would be my preference. Is there anyway to preorder the Business meal even though I am seated in First?

Breakfast Business Class

Breakfast

Choose Later

I will make my selection at a later time or during the flight

Traditional American Breakfast

scrambled eggs with chives, Canadian bacon, roasted potatoes, herbed tomato

Bagel and Lox

New York bagel, Atlantic salmon lox, cream cheese, boiled egg, red onion, capers

Coconut chia oatmeal

fresh berries, mango, toasted coconut, dried apricot

Mushroom, Leek and Asparagus Frittata

served with spring salad. Created and inspired with wellness in mind by James Beard Award winning author and nutritionist Ellie Krieger

Breakfast Flagship First

Breakfast

Choose Later

I will make my selection at a later time or during the flight

Traditional American Breakfast

scrambled eggs, bacon, roasted potatoes, herbed tomato

Steel Cut Oatmeal

with coconut milk, chia seeds and fruit toppings

SMOKED SALMON FRITTATA

potato, zucchini, dill, tomato jam, fresh spring greens

Avocado Toast

rye toast, avocado, lemon vinaigrette dressing, pine nuts, parmesan, with fresh arugula

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.