Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA schedule changes - flight change / cancellation / refund policy (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 28, 2015, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
AA schedule changes - free flight change / cancellation / refund

The latest change policy may be read here (Thanks to MRP Alert for resource link.)
The above link appears to be broken. The latest change policy, as of June 13, 2023, can be found here.

As of March 2022:
  • Limited changes allowed if schedule change is 60 minutes or less.
  • More flexibility if schedule change is 61 minutes or more.
  • Refunds on non-refundable fares typically require a schedule change of 241 minutes or more.

NOTE: The Detailed Fare Rules for your ticket(s) details refundability, etc. You can read (and print to PDF, etc.) before you purchase. Regardless of fare title (Refundable, Flexible, etc.) you should read these prior to purchase.

beachfan has shared:

I believe if it's an equipment swap, to a less desirable plane (I.e, 777 to 738) then yes, full refund, otherwise it's 120 minutes. One Mile at a Time blog covered this and referred to the contract of carriage (or whatever the linked document is called; it's titled general rules).

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...irplane-change

International Tariff (March 2023)

International General Rules

Code:
SCHEDULE CHANGE
IN THE EVENT, AFTER TICKET ISSUANCE, SCHEDULE
CHANGES ARE MADE BY AA THAT:
(I) AFFECT A PASSENGER'S DEPARTURE AND/OR
ARRIVAL BY 2 OR MORE HOURS;
(II) RESULT IN THE ADDITION OF AN INTERMEDIATE
STOP ON THE PASSENGER'S ITINERARY;
(III) RESULT IN A SUBSTITUTION OF EQUIPMENT NOT
ACCEPTABLE TO THE PASSENGER; OR
(IV) IF A CANCELLATION OR A CHANGE IN EITHER AIR
OR TOUR ITINERARY IS INITIATED EITHER BY AA
OR IT'S TOUR OPERATORS WHICH IS UNACCEPTABLE
TO THE PASSENGER, THE PASSENGER WILL HAVE THE
OPTION OF CANCELLING WITHOUT PENALTY, OR
REROUTING ON DIFFERENT FLIGHTS TO/FROM THE
SAME OR DIFFERENT DESTINATION. HOWEVER, THE
PASSENGER MUST PAY ANY ADDITIONAL AMOUNTS
RESULTING FROM THE REROUTING.
Older posts may be read here.
Print Wikipost

AA schedule changes - flight change / cancellation / refund policy (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2023 | 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
20 Years on Site

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Brisbane Road
I do but it doesnt display the Aircraft type.

If it helps the number has changed from 1589 to 5127
That is definitely a change from mainline to regional, which should allow you to call and change to a different flight that day.
Spiff, AAway, orbitmic and 3 others like this.
Old Aug 17, 2023 | 11:33 am
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited5 Years on Site

Programs: BA Silver
Thats very interesting, Im glad I asked.

The online agent was extremely adamant no changes allowed. Is there anywhere this is written down so I can refer to this before I go back to them do you know?

Thanks a lot.
Old Aug 17, 2023 | 11:38 am
S80

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, QR Gold, UA 1K, Hilton Diamond

The online agent was extremely adamant no changes allowed. Is there anywhere this is written down so I can refer to this before I go back to them do you know?

Thanks a lot.
https://saleslink.aa.com/en-US/resou...ange.html#RFND
Schedule Change results in a Change to the Operating Carrier

For example, if the flight changes from AA*/IB operated to an AA*/BA operated flight, or from AA to AE (American to American Eagle), you may:

Refund to Original Form of Payment as long as customer was Holding Confirmed (HK) prior to the change

Note: This does not include a change to the type of equipment
Old Aug 17, 2023 | 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
20 Years on Site

Thanks a lot.
Not sure exactly about where it's written down, however your typical chat rep is going to have no clue about this kind of thing.
Old Aug 17, 2023 | 11:44 am
S80

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, QR Gold, UA 1K, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
however your typical chat rep is going to have no clue about this kind of thing.
See AA refuses to refund 90 minute schedule change
There are similar threads on the UA and DL forums for swaps from UA to UAX and DL to DLC respectively.
Old Aug 17, 2023 | 11:56 am
20 Years on Site

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
As I usually do/suggest in these situations, DM on Twitter (the real AA account!) along the lines of "I had a schedule change on PNR XXXXXX for flight ### YYY-ZZZ to flight #### with a change in carrier. Please change me to flight ### at HH:MM YYY-ZZZ."

Usually they change it pretty quickly with no questions asked; if there is pushback, mention again the change in carrier.
wrp96 and MathMusic like this.
Old Aug 17, 2023 | 12:02 pm

Thanks everyone.

Really goes to show the power of something like this site. Id have been absolutely none the wiser

Ive read through the other threads and it appears my option is to just cancel my flight entirely and apply for a refund on AA prefunds.com is that right?

Lastly before I do this, my flight does have a connection, but this should be unrelated to the process Im guessing as the first flight they have moved from Mainline to PSA Airlines
birdiedouble likes this.

Last edited by Microwave; Aug 18, 2023 at 8:39 am Reason: Merged consecutive posts for readability
Old Aug 17, 2023 | 1:16 pm
5 Years on Site

Programs: AA PLT, IHG Spire
A refund is not required, you definately can get them to change a basic economy ticket for a schedule change issue or a change in carrier. I did it myself fairly recently, although I did it for a schedule change that ended up violating MCT.

If you would rather refund than pick a new flight you can, but it is in no way required.
Old Aug 17, 2023 | 3:56 pm
15 Years on Site

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Ive read through the other threads and it appears my option is to just cancel my flight entirely and apply for a refund on AA prefunds.com is that right?

Lastly before I do this, my flight does have a connection, but this should be unrelated to the process Im guessing as the first flight they have moved from Mainline to PSA Airlines
My understanding is that under Federal law, they are required to offer you a refund if they change the operating carrier. Thats all theyre required to do, but they may be willing to waive change fees to keep your money. Emphasis on may, especially for a basic economy ticket.
jamiel and Brisbane Road like this.
Old Aug 23, 2023 | 8:14 am

So followed the steps advised as the first part of my ticket was changed from Mainline to Eagle.

So was surprised to receive this response today.

We're sorry your travel plans didn't work out. You purchased a Basic Economy fare, and no changes or refunds are allowed.
Although Basic Economy fares are the most economical option, they hold no value if unused. For your future travel plans, we offer flexible and refundable fares that allow for changes in your travel plans. We hope you'll consider American Airlines again for a future trip.

If you purchased trip insurance, please visit our Trip Insurance page for assistance in filing a claim.

Essentially- Refund rejected.

Any advice on what to do next? Resubmit the request with more T and Cs attached / something on the laws?

I just put in the box, Change of airline from mainline to Eagle
Old Aug 23, 2023 | 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
20 Years on Site

So followed the steps advised as the first part of my ticket was changed from Mainline to Eagle.

So was surprised to receive this response today.

We're sorry your travel plans didn't work out. You purchased a Basic Economy fare, and no changes or refunds are allowed.
Although Basic Economy fares are the most economical option, they hold no value if unused. For your future travel plans, we offer flexible and refundable fares that allow for changes in your travel plans. We hope you'll consider American Airlines again for a future trip.

If you purchased trip insurance, please visit our Trip Insurance page for assistance in filing a claim.

Essentially- Refund rejected.

Any advice on what to do next? Resubmit the request with more T and Cs attached / something on the laws?

I just put in the box, Change of airline from mainline to Eagle
Did you submit the refund request via "contact AA" at aa.com, or at the site prefunds.aa.com?
Old Aug 23, 2023 | 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Did you submit the refund request via "contact AA" at aa.com, or at the site prefunds.aa.com?
Submitted at Prefunds.aa.com as was advised above.
Old Aug 27, 2023 | 11:36 pm
5 Years on Site

Programs: AS MVPG, Global Entry
I can offer my experience of a change between 1 and 2 hours. I decided to move to a different set of flights the following day, as is permitted with a change of 61+ minutes.

I called in and the agent was not aware of this policy. After a good amount of time on hold, they conceded this was within policy but then claimed they could barely see any available flights. Ended the call politely.

Went to the live chat and the agent promptly re-booked the flights within a few minutes.
Old Aug 29, 2023 | 9:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
I have an award flight (one-segment domestic) that I have booked for a family member. There was a time change of 112 min, so the departure time is 112 min earlier than the original booking. This family member is not a fan of early morning flights.

Would it be reasonable to ask to be changed to a flight the evening before the original scheduled flight?

It seems from the thread that when the change in departing flight time is 61 min or more, there is some more flexibility to change the day to before or after the oringal scheduled date.
Old Aug 29, 2023 | 10:47 pm
10 Countries Visited

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
Yes. Ask.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.