Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA schedule changes - flight change / cancellation / refund policy (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 28, 2015, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
AA schedule changes - free flight change / cancellation / refund

The latest change policy may be read here (Thanks to MRP Alert for resource link.)
The above link appears to be broken. The latest change policy, as of June 13, 2023, can be found here.

As of March 2022:
  • Limited changes allowed if schedule change is 60 minutes or less.
  • More flexibility if schedule change is 61 minutes or more.
  • Refunds on non-refundable fares typically require a schedule change of 241 minutes or more.

NOTE: The Detailed Fare Rules for your ticket(s) details refundability, etc. You can read (and print to PDF, etc.) before you purchase. Regardless of fare title (Refundable, Flexible, etc.) you should read these prior to purchase.

beachfan has shared:

I believe if it's an equipment swap, to a less desirable plane (I.e, 777 to 738) then yes, full refund, otherwise it's 120 minutes. One Mile at a Time blog covered this and referred to the contract of carriage (or whatever the linked document is called; it's titled general rules).

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...irplane-change

International Tariff (March 2023)

International General Rules

Code:
SCHEDULE CHANGE
IN THE EVENT, AFTER TICKET ISSUANCE, SCHEDULE
CHANGES ARE MADE BY AA THAT:
(I) AFFECT A PASSENGER'S DEPARTURE AND/OR
ARRIVAL BY 2 OR MORE HOURS;
(II) RESULT IN THE ADDITION OF AN INTERMEDIATE
STOP ON THE PASSENGER'S ITINERARY;
(III) RESULT IN A SUBSTITUTION OF EQUIPMENT NOT
ACCEPTABLE TO THE PASSENGER; OR
(IV) IF A CANCELLATION OR A CHANGE IN EITHER AIR
OR TOUR ITINERARY IS INITIATED EITHER BY AA
OR IT'S TOUR OPERATORS WHICH IS UNACCEPTABLE
TO THE PASSENGER, THE PASSENGER WILL HAVE THE
OPTION OF CANCELLING WITHOUT PENALTY, OR
REROUTING ON DIFFERENT FLIGHTS TO/FROM THE
SAME OR DIFFERENT DESTINATION. HOWEVER, THE
PASSENGER MUST PAY ANY ADDITIONAL AMOUNTS
RESULTING FROM THE REROUTING.
Older posts may be read here.
Print Wikipost

AA schedule changes - flight change / cancellation / refund policy (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2023 | 7:47 pm
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited20 Years on Site

Originally Posted by hungryvu
Hi everyone,

I recently booked an award AA business ticket HAN-NRT-BOS-LGA that is flying on February 10 2024 (4 months from now). Today I received an email that my last flight BOS-LGA is updated from 7:53PM to 6:00AM next day. I figured that this big time difference was because my arriving flight landed at 5:20PM and the latest outbound flight on that day was 6:29PM, which will not be enough for my international layover.

I certainly I could just cancel and get my miles re-instated but this was a pretty good deal so I didn't want to cancel it and book a new one (don't think a business award ticket would show up). What are my options here? I would be ok with staying at a hotel IF AA paid for it or I can reimburse through my credit card trip delay insurance. However, if they notify me far in advance would I be able to get any sort of those insurance or accomodation? I have seen somewhere that if they notify 14 days in advance I wouldn't be entitled for any protection but wanted to confirm here
I agree with the poster above -- however I think you will have an uphill battle on any trip delay coverage.

Since the 6:29 flight is the last AA flight out from BOS to NYC, your best bet may be to just buy a separate ticket on the 10:00 PM DL flight to LGA.

You still have plenty of time. I would watch for availability to open up on JL's new A350 service from HND to NYC. Yes, you would need to do a NRT to HND connection, but if you can score business or first on that product, it would probably be worth it (and you would avoid the separate ticket). Or if there is other availability on JL, you could go possibly go through LAX/SFO/DFW. If you get the right agent who is willing to listen, AA would probably open up space on the LAX/SFO/DFW - NYC flight because of the schedule change.
hungryvu likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2023 | 9:57 pm
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited10 Years on Site

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Gold Elite, Lowly kettle across every other loyalty program.
Originally Posted by wrp96
I remember your "fun" last winter, so don't blame you on being more cautious. I'd look at the schedules today/tomorrow and then tweet what you want to be changed to due to the schedule change. Saves you the phone time.

The OP got caught out by this on a trip last winter so is understandably more cautious and concerned about that reduced connection time.
Done. This time, the Twitter team was able to help unlike last year when they couldn't put us back in our original seats that were still open. The schedule change delay was probably because MIA-STL was moved up 20 minutes, downgauged to a 319, and isn't loaded in the system yet (?) App shows original MIA-STL, but schedule change blurb shows the changes.

Being proactive gives us 2.5 hours now, and kept us out of IDG on the second leg. Moral of story: Check your future flights weekly and/or set up alerts on EF.

I'm still keeping my plan B until we're in the air MIA-STL. I wish DL wasn't so $$$$. UA is an overnight in EWR on the trip down and an overnight somewhere coming back.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2023 | 8:27 am
5 Years on Site

Hi everyone,

I recently booked an award AA business ticket HAN-NRT-BOS-LGA that is flying on February 10 2024 (4 months from now). Today I received an email that my last flight BOS-LGA is updated from 7:53PM to 6:00AM next day. I figured that this big time difference was because my arriving flight landed at 5:20PM and the latest outbound flight on that day was 6:29PM, which will not be enough for my international layover.

I certainly I could just cancel and get my miles re-instated but this was a pretty good deal so I didn't want to cancel it and book a new one (don't think a business award ticket would show up). What are my options here? I would be ok with staying at a hotel IF AA paid for it or I can reimburse through my credit card trip delay insurance. However, if they notify me far in advance would I be able to get any sort of those insurance or accomodation? I have seen somewhere that if they notify 14 days in advance I wouldn't be entitled for any protection but wanted to confirm here
You won't get the hotel, but it's worth looking at a reroute. Find other flight combinations that don't involve an overnight layover, possibly with other transfer cities.
Old Oct 4, 2023 | 2:03 pm
10 Years on Site

Originally Posted by dblumenhoff
You won't get the hotel, but it's worth looking at a reroute. Find other flight combinations that don't involve an overnight layover, possibly with other transfer cities.
And look for JFK/EWR flights too.
Old Oct 5, 2023 | 10:50 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
AA won't pay for a hotel AFAIK. As for your CC's insurance, read the terms. You didn't even say what CC you used; they are not all the same.

Also the schedule is likely to change at least once more before you fly.
Thank you for helping out!

AA won't pay for a hotel AFAIK
From this page, AA states that "If the disruption is our fault or you're diverted to another city, and we don't board before 11:59 p.m. local time on your scheduled arrival day, we'll arrange an overnight stay or cover the cost of an approved hotel, if available. We dont guarantee reimbursement for hotel expenses if you book directly without written authorization from American Airlines." I guess in this situtation, it's "their fault" for cancelling my flight, so I was just wondering if this would apply.

On the other hand, do you know if I can ask them to put me on any same class (business) flight departing on the same day that's still available paying with cash but not availble with award booking?
Old Oct 5, 2023 | 11:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

From this page,
which page?

AA states that "If the disruption is our fault or you're diverted to another city, and we don't board before 11:59 p.m. local time on your scheduled arrival day, we'll arrange an overnight stay or cover the cost of an approved hotel, if available. We dont guarantee reimbursement for hotel expenses if you book directly without written authorization from American Airlines." I guess in this situtation, it's "their fault" for cancelling my flight, so I was just wondering if this would apply.

On the other hand, do you know if I can ask them to put me on any same class (business) flight departing on the same day that's still available paying with cash but not availble with award booking?
It sounds like they are talking about delays and cancellations on the day of travel. A schedule change 4 months out would not normally be considered a "disruption".

Assuming that you are talking about changing the AA segment, you should be able to ask for other flights. You can even ask to leave from or arrive at nearby airports if that's more convenient for you. For example, I've requested EWR instead of JFK before and that was fine. Although you would normally need U space on the AA segment to book it as part of a partner award, you should not need that in this case as far as I know.

If you want them to move you to a different partner flight (I assume JL) they will most likely require award space. They may work with the partner to try to open that space, but there are no guarantees.

If you want to move from JL metal to AA metal on the TPAC, I believe that that should be possible. Many people have reported doing something similar with BA flights.
dblumenhoff and hungryvu like this.
Old Oct 16, 2023 | 7:54 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro
Here's a new one, at least for me. I bought a same day return GRR-ORD-DFW-GRR booked in F with DFW as the specific turn point. a few days ago. Since then, there were a few slight schedule changes that did not jeopardize any connection.

Instead of leaving the ticket alone, and simply notify me of the slight time changes, today, the ticket was changed to GRR-ORD-GRR with no notifications (A good reminder to always check reservations periodically.) I chatted online with AA and got everything back to my original routing.

Totally unrelated: Repricing the trip with today's prices. Three days after original purchase, my $488 ticket is now $2700+. Makes ya wonder sometimes,
Old Oct 17, 2023 | 10:53 am

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Gold Elite, Lowly kettle across every other loyalty program.
Originally Posted by Bradhattan
Here's a new one, at least for me. I bought a same day return GRR-ORD-DFW-GRR booked in F with DFW as the specific turn point. a few days ago. Since then, there were a few slight schedule changes that did not jeopardize any connection.

Instead of leaving the ticket alone, and simply notify me of the slight time changes, today, the ticket was changed to GRR-ORD-GRR with no notifications (A good reminder to always check reservations periodically.) I chatted online with AA and got everything back to my original routing.

Totally unrelated: Repricing the trip with today's prices. Three days after original purchase, my $488 ticket is now $2700+. Makes ya wonder sometimes,
I'm surprised they didn't tell you, "Sorry, your seats are in a different fare bucket so we can't move you back to your original itinerary."
Bradhattan likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2023 | 11:29 am

The downside to booking early: AA made another schedule change to our outbound itinerary (#3 since March), this one booked via Chase points+cash. Even though the new itinerary was less desirable with a shorter overnight in CLT, I figured it wasn't worth the hassle because it took a 90-minute call to Chase for the first change (reroute causing IDG.) proactively called the same day the schedule changed. This time, Chase notified us via email that the flight had changed (AA didn't-but I check future flights every couple weeks), and asked for a call because they wouldn't auto-accept the change (+120 minutes). Ended up rebooking on our original routing (AA added the evening STL-MIA flight they took away on change #1) with a decent overnight for no additional cost.

Why book so early when I know the schedule is going to change? Inexpensive F sells out quickly. Even without the Chase points, it's like getting BOGO from where the fares are now.
Old Oct 23, 2023 | 12:11 pm

If you book AA on award miles say 6 or more months out and they cancel the flight will they automatically reschedule you to the next available? I'm concerned that If I book an award flight to far out and there's a cancellation or schedule change I could be left holding the bag on a drastic dynamic award pricing change where the cost of the miles is substantially higher.
Old Oct 23, 2023 | 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
20 Years on Site

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by usersherlocked
If you book AA on award miles say 6 or more months out and they cancel the flight will they automatically reschedule you to the next available? I'm concerned that If I book an award flight to far out and there's a cancellation or schedule change I could be left holding the bag on a drastic dynamic award pricing change where the cost of the miles is substantially higher.
Yes, assuming we're talking about AA awards here, if there is a schedule change or cancellation AA will rebook you on a similar option for no additional cost.

In a lot of cases rebooking is done automatically by computer, if you don't like the new flights you can always call to request something else.
Old Oct 23, 2023 | 2:00 pm
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited15 Years on Site

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Yes, assuming we're talking about AA awards here, if there is a schedule change or cancellation AA will rebook you on a similar option for no additional cost.

In a lot of cases rebooking is done automatically by computer, if you don't like the new flights you can always call to request something else.
Yes, I can verify this is the case. Originally had a mixed class of service AAward ticket (16.5 miles one way domestic F for the first two legs and third leg was economy). Massive schedule change. They did rebook me on some horrible flight, but I was able to find one with only one stop and in F all the way. The agent was extremely quick and courteous and rebooked me on the alternative flight I gave him. No cost differential.
Old Oct 25, 2023 | 9:37 am

Have February changes been loaded in yet?
Old Oct 31, 2023 | 5:43 am
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited5 Years on Site

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, National Executive, Hilton Honors Gold, Bonvoy Gold
I got a schedule change notification yesterday, and now I would like a little help from the experts. I am flying with a group of three from SDF-CLT-MAD in PE in late March. The timing of both flights to/from MAD have been adjusted such that my connections at CLT are now one full hour less than before. I now have 1:40 connecting to MAD and 1:15 connecting from MAD. The connection on the return does not bother me too much as we have Global Entry and Pre-Check, even though it appears to be the minimum connection time allow for EU to domestic connections at CLT. However, the connection on the way there is now worrying me. Earlier this fall, I got burned on a 1:10 D-I connection at PHL, where an A319 mechanical delay caused us to get re-routed via JFK and LHR with middle economy seats instead of our full MCE row. Which of the following options would you all choose?

1) Call and move to earlier flight to CLT. Flight is on CRJ7 (instead of A319) and would leave us with a 4+ hour connection at CLT.

2) Call and move to later flight through PHL. 5 hour connection at PHL, but SDF only has two daily flights to PHL.

3) Call and move to later flight through ORD. 4 hour connection at ORD, connecting to IB flight to MAD.

4) Wait and see when (if?) SDF-CLT schedule changes, and only change at that point.

I am mainly tempted to move early as I have seen PE seats get snapped up quickly, and I do not want to get bumped back to Y for a minor refund.
Old Oct 31, 2023 | 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
20 Years on Site

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by LBBflyer
1) Call and move to earlier flight to CLT. Flight is on CRJ7 (instead of A319) and would leave us with a 4+ hour connection at CLT.

2) Call and move to later flight through PHL. 5 hour connection at PHL, but SDF only has two daily flights to PHL.

3) Call and move to later flight through ORD. 4 hour connection at ORD, connecting to IB flight to MAD.

4) Wait and see when (if?) SDF-CLT schedule changes, and only change at that point.

I am mainly tempted to move early as I have seen PE seats get snapped up quickly, and I do not want to get bumped back to Y for a minor refund.
To be honest I'd be a bit more worried about the 1:10 on the return than 1:40 on the outbound although both are really ample time, especially with GE.

If you do want to change though all of your alternatives are basically equal in my book, it really comes down to whether you'd rather spend 4-5 hours at CLT, PHL, or ORD. All else being equal ORD would win that for me, based on lounges and not having to deal with CLT or PHL, although you'd need to make sure you're OK with IB on the long segment.
wrp96 and iplaybass like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.