Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA schedule changes - flight change / cancellation / refund policy (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 28, 2015, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
AA schedule changes - free flight change / cancellation / refund

The latest change policy may be read here (Thanks to MRP Alert for resource link.)
The above link appears to be broken. The latest change policy, as of June 13, 2023, can be found here.

As of March 2022:
  • Limited changes allowed if schedule change is 60 minutes or less.
  • More flexibility if schedule change is 61 minutes or more.
  • Refunds on non-refundable fares typically require a schedule change of 241 minutes or more.

NOTE: The Detailed Fare Rules for your ticket(s) details refundability, etc. You can read (and print to PDF, etc.) before you purchase. Regardless of fare title (Refundable, Flexible, etc.) you should read these prior to purchase.

beachfan has shared:

I believe if it's an equipment swap, to a less desirable plane (I.e, 777 to 738) then yes, full refund, otherwise it's 120 minutes. One Mile at a Time blog covered this and referred to the contract of carriage (or whatever the linked document is called; it's titled general rules).

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...irplane-change

International Tariff (March 2023)

International General Rules

Code:
SCHEDULE CHANGE
IN THE EVENT, AFTER TICKET ISSUANCE, SCHEDULE
CHANGES ARE MADE BY AA THAT:
(I) AFFECT A PASSENGER'S DEPARTURE AND/OR
ARRIVAL BY 2 OR MORE HOURS;
(II) RESULT IN THE ADDITION OF AN INTERMEDIATE
STOP ON THE PASSENGER'S ITINERARY;
(III) RESULT IN A SUBSTITUTION OF EQUIPMENT NOT
ACCEPTABLE TO THE PASSENGER; OR
(IV) IF A CANCELLATION OR A CHANGE IN EITHER AIR
OR TOUR ITINERARY IS INITIATED EITHER BY AA
OR IT'S TOUR OPERATORS WHICH IS UNACCEPTABLE
TO THE PASSENGER, THE PASSENGER WILL HAVE THE
OPTION OF CANCELLING WITHOUT PENALTY, OR
REROUTING ON DIFFERENT FLIGHTS TO/FROM THE
SAME OR DIFFERENT DESTINATION. HOWEVER, THE
PASSENGER MUST PAY ANY ADDITIONAL AMOUNTS
RESULTING FROM THE REROUTING.
Older posts may be read here.
Print Wikipost

AA schedule changes - flight change / cancellation / refund policy (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2024 | 1:42 pm

[QUOTE=kodalip;35945961]What is the latest people have seen a schedule change? Holding out hope for a schedule change on an early March flight but I might just call it quits soon and cancel

ignore. Misread the question.
Old Jan 27, 2024 | 1:54 pm
20 Years on Site

Programs: Whatever AMEX Plat comes with... I buy on price.. Spirit Big Front Seat, want First/buy First
Originally Posted by kodalip
What is the latest people have seen a schedule change? Holding out hope for a schedule change on an early March flight but I might just call it quits soon and cancel the award ticket
I just got one for first week of May on yesterday. Actually I dont mind it I booked a connection to save $200 and they replaced it with a nonstop leaving 20 minutes later. Id like more schedule changes like this please!
Old Jan 29, 2024 | 5:05 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime PLT
I'm booked PHL-AUS-PHX on award ticket. Originally I had a 2hr+ connection in AUS, but now its ~40 minutes, as the first flight was moved back 1.5 hours. I'm traveling with small children and would prefer not to have a tight connection.

Any chance AA will move to a PHL-PHX non-stop? I would cancel and rebook but the flights are extremely pricey that day and likely close to full.
Old Jan 29, 2024 | 5:31 pm
5 Years on Site

Originally Posted by doctor15
I'm booked PHL-AUS-PHX on award ticket. Originally I had a 2hr+ connection in AUS, but now its ~40 minutes, as the first flight was moved back 1.5 hours. I'm traveling with small children and would prefer not to have a tight connection.

Any chance AA will move to a PHL-PHX non-stop? I would cancel and rebook but the flights are extremely pricey that day and likely close to full.
I had a connection a couple of years ago where it was reduced to a similar length at DFW. Even though the change was not technically significant enough for a free change and it wasn't below MCT, the phone AAgent had no problem switching me to a better connection thru phx. Granted, I wasn't asking for a nonstop (didn't exist anyway on the route), but it might be worth trying.
Old Jan 30, 2024 | 3:37 pm

Any datapoints on a free change if the flight changes from mainline to Republic Airways and the plane down gauges to a regional jet?
Old Jan 30, 2024 | 3:54 pm
10 Countries Visited20 Years on Site

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Any datapoints on a free change if the flight changes from mainline to Republic Airways and the plane down gauges to a regional jet?
I would typically consider that an upgrade.
Old Jan 31, 2024 | 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
50 Countries Visited10 Years on Site

Programs: AA
Under DOT rules, that absolutely requires the opportunity to change - if you decide to call in, say there has been a change of carrier (not just a schedule change). I agree with above though that I prefer E175s to most AA mainline jets if that is what you've been switched to.
Old Jan 31, 2024 | 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by wrp96
Under DOT rules, that absolutely requires the opportunity to change - if you decide to call in, say there has been a change of carrier (not just a schedule change). I agree with above though that I prefer E175s to most AA mainline jets if that is what you've been switched to.
Both flights that day were switched to E175s but I was hoping to get on the earlier flight. Will try and see what happens
Old Feb 4, 2024 | 7:45 am

Originally Posted by wrp96
both the chat people said they couldnt but I called AA about a different reservation and that agents switched me to the earlier flight
wrp96 likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2024 | 3:22 pm

Programs: UA1MM, *G,HA Premier Club, Hyatt Disc, HHonors Gold, Marriott LTPlat, ClubCarlson Gold, IHG PlatAmb
I don't normally redeem AA miles (I'm a *A guy) but found a pretty darn good AA Business Saver award to MAD for Spring Break this year & booked 2 of them last May.

Original itinerary:

Outbound:
BA 288 PHX-LHR 8:25pm-1:15pm (+1)
BA 464 LHR-MAD 4:35pm-8:00pm
Inbound:
BA 473 BCN-LHR 10:15am-11:40am
BA 287 LHR-SFO 2:20pm-5:25pm

Pretty decent, right? Was planning to originate at SFO (but SFO-LHR-MAD was exorbitant, so decided to pay our own way SFO-PHX and catch that late evening flight out to MAD from there).

Last July... they switched our outbound to:
AA 1688 PHX-CLT 8:42am-3:51pm
AA 748 CLT-MAD 4:40pm-5:40am!

Not only we lost our cozy TATL overnight on BA metal, they stuck us on a 49 min layover at CLT (and hopefully the PHX flight isn't late!) as well as a probably "no-sleep" 7 hr TATL flight and get into MAD way too early to check into ANY hotels, and we would be walking zombies all day. Immediately got on the text chat with AA and was told "NOPE! SORRY can't change it! Would you like to cancel the entire itin and rebook for 3x the amount of miles?" Showed them my middle finger and decided to suck it. Was also lied to with "BA eliminated PHX-LHR that day" which wasn't true...BA288 is still flying.

Fast forward to today - they changed our inbound to:
BA 477 BCN-LHR7:45am-9:10am

While the LHR-SFO portion remains the same (for now at least), we've gone from a 2.5hr layover to more than 5 hours at Heathrow... This one is perhaps explainable - I can no longer find BA 473 BCN-LHR 10:15am-11:40am and it's now been replaced with BA 485 BCN-LHR 11:40am-1:00pm...perhaps insufficient time to connect to our 2:20pm to SFO?

I have no status with AA - we don't want to cancel our trip, probably too late to change anything - but schedule change aside (understandably we booked 10 months prior), is it pretty common for AA to screw around with your award Biz itinerary and move you around like this? I'm not miffed about the 5 hour layover at LHR, more so about being lied to (about BA288 being "no longer"). Had this been UA, I would've gotten on the phone with the Plat desk to fix this, but as I have no status with AA, my calls get routed to un-sympathetic agents overseas....
Old Feb 4, 2024 | 5:06 pm
10 Years on Site

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by Jamester
I have no status with AA - we don't want to cancel our trip, probably too late to change anything - but schedule change aside (understandably we booked 10 months prior), is it pretty common for AA to screw around with your award Biz itinerary and move you around like this? I'm not miffed about the 5 hour layover at LHR, more so about being lied to (about BA288 being "no longer"). Had this been UA, I would've gotten on the phone with the Plat desk to fix this, but as I have no status with AA, my calls get routed to un-sympathetic agents overseas....
Unclear what prompted the outbound schedule change, but no way I would have that, and would have HUCA multiple times, if necessary. At worst, I would have had them put me on the PHX-LHR AA flight, assuming it's operating that day.

For the inbound, is there award space on the later BCN-LHR flight(s)? If so, you "should" be able to change to one of those. MCT for T5-T5 connection is 75 minutes, I believe.
Jamester likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2024 | 7:47 pm
10 Countries Visited

I don't normally redeem AA miles (I'm a *A guy) but found a pretty darn good AA Business Saver award to MAD for Spring Break this year & booked 2 of them last May.

Original itinerary:

Outbound:
BA 288 PHX-LHR 8:25pm-1:15pm (+1)
BA 464 LHR-MAD 4:35pm-8:00pm
Inbound:
BA 473 BCN-LHR 10:15am-11:40am

Pretty decent, right? Was planning to originate at SFO (but SFO-LHR-MAD was exorbitant, so decided to pay our own way SFO-PHX and catch that late evening flight out to MAD from there).

Last July... they switched our outbound to:
AA 1688 PHX-CLT 8:42am-3:51pm
AA 748 CLT-MAD 4:40pm-5:40am!

Not only we lost our cozy TATL overnight on BA metal, they stuck us on a 49 min layover at CLT (and hopefully the PHX flight isn't late!) as well as a probably "no-sleep" 7 hr TATL flight and get into MAD way too early to check into ANY hotels, and we would be walking zombies all day. Immediately got on the text chat with AA and was told "NOPE! SORRY can't change it! Would you like to cancel the entire itin and rebook for 3x the amount of miles?" Showed them my middle finger and decided to suck it. Was also lied to with "BA eliminated PHX-LHR that day" which wasn't true...BA288 is still flying.

Fast forward to today - they changed our inbound to:
BA 477 BCN-LHR7:45am-9:10am

While the LHR-SFO portion remains the same (for now at least), we've gone from a 2.5hr layover to more than 5 hours at Heathrow... This one is perhaps explainable - I can no longer find BA 473 BCN-LHR 10:15am-11:40am and it's now been replaced with BA 485 BCN-LHR 11:40am-1:00pm...perhaps insufficient time to connect to our 2:20pm to SFO?

Ask to be rerouted through PHL. Look up AA flight numbers for PHX-PHL-MAD and call again, and they shouldnt have any trouble giving you an itinerary with better flight times for the outbound. Just make a quick mention to them that they completely changed your itinerary already from BA to AA and youre unhappy with that routing they gave you. If you have the AA flight numbers you want handy, it shouldnt be an issue.
Jamester likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2024 | 12:03 am

Programs: UA1MM, *G,HA Premier Club, Hyatt Disc, HHonors Gold, Marriott LTPlat, ClubCarlson Gold, IHG PlatAmb
Originally Posted by LlamaJesus
Ask to be rerouted through PHL. Look up AA flight numbers for PHX-PHL-MAD and call again, and they shouldn’t have any trouble giving you an itinerary with better flight times for the outbound. Just make a quick mention to them that they completely changed your itinerary already from BA to AA and you’re unhappy with that routing they gave you. If you have the AA flight numbers you want handy, it shouldn’t be an issue.
If I do this, would we be subject to (Biz) award availability at all? Or are they obligated to just "give them to us" due to the severe changes they made - with no addt'l miles to be redeemed? Or would it all depend on how 'unhappy' I am on the phone?

Also - PHL-MAD is an even shorter flight than CLT-MAD (thinking about the ability to get a longer zzz). Would anyone recommend AA36 DFW-MAD instead? 787 vs 777?

Last edited by Jamester; Feb 5, 2024 at 12:10 am Reason: Added addt'l question
Old Feb 5, 2024 | 12:15 am
10 Countries Visited20 Years on Site

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
If I do this, would we be subject to (Biz) award availability at all? Or are they obligated to just "give them to us" due to the severe changes they made - with no addt'l miles to be redeemed? Or would it all depend on how 'unhappy' I am on the phone?

Also - PHL-MAD is an even shorter flight than CLT-MAD (thinking about the ability to get a longer zzz). Would anyone recommend AA36 DFW-MAD instead? 787 vs 777?
If AA flight, shouldnt matter about award availability. But it on dependent in how unhappy you are, it depends on the capability of the at. Keep HUCA until you get what you want. Your issue the first time was taking only one try. No way would that have not been able to be fixed.
Old Feb 6, 2024 | 9:59 am
10 Years on Site

Hi everyone,

I recently booked double open jaw flgihts for our family of 6 (2 adults and 4 kids), all business tickets on AA ticket stock in September - which are now affected by a flight cancellation.

BA 835 DUB - LHR 01:10pm - 02:30pm
AA 107 LHR-JFK 05:00pm - 07:50pm
------------------------
BA 2940 BUR-PDX 12:20pm - 02:45pm (operated by Alaska Airlines)
BA 266 PDX-MUC 04:55pm - 07:50pm (+1)
-----------------------
IB 3339 MXP-MAD 10:45am - 01:10pm

AA informed me that the hightlighted flight was cancelled although it is still bookable as single journey (no codeshare flight anymore?!?) and asks me to call to rebook. I've read through the cancel policy linked at the top of this page, however, I'm still confused about my potential options as the flight is sold as a BA flight operated by AS:
  • I assume that rebookiung on an earlier/later AA connection from AA should be possible without problems
  • From my understanding, the same should be true with any other AA flight departing from Burbank's co-terminals
  • From your experience, would it also be possible to get booked on a AA codeshare flight on BA metal within a 300 miles radius, e.g. non-stop flight AA 6985 (operated by British Airways) SAN-LHR - or would that be too much?
Thanks for any a advice!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.