Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA schedule changes - flight change / cancellation / refund policy (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 28, 2015, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
AA schedule changes - free flight change / cancellation / refund

The latest change policy may be read here (Thanks to MRP Alert for resource link.)
The above link appears to be broken. The latest change policy, as of June 13, 2023, can be found here.

As of March 2022:
  • Limited changes allowed if schedule change is 60 minutes or less.
  • More flexibility if schedule change is 61 minutes or more.
  • Refunds on non-refundable fares typically require a schedule change of 241 minutes or more.

NOTE: The Detailed Fare Rules for your ticket(s) details refundability, etc. You can read (and print to PDF, etc.) before you purchase. Regardless of fare title (Refundable, Flexible, etc.) you should read these prior to purchase.

beachfan has shared:

I believe if it's an equipment swap, to a less desirable plane (I.e, 777 to 738) then yes, full refund, otherwise it's 120 minutes. One Mile at a Time blog covered this and referred to the contract of carriage (or whatever the linked document is called; it's titled general rules).

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...irplane-change

International Tariff (March 2023)

International General Rules

Code:
SCHEDULE CHANGE
IN THE EVENT, AFTER TICKET ISSUANCE, SCHEDULE
CHANGES ARE MADE BY AA THAT:
(I) AFFECT A PASSENGER'S DEPARTURE AND/OR
ARRIVAL BY 2 OR MORE HOURS;
(II) RESULT IN THE ADDITION OF AN INTERMEDIATE
STOP ON THE PASSENGER'S ITINERARY;
(III) RESULT IN A SUBSTITUTION OF EQUIPMENT NOT
ACCEPTABLE TO THE PASSENGER; OR
(IV) IF A CANCELLATION OR A CHANGE IN EITHER AIR
OR TOUR ITINERARY IS INITIATED EITHER BY AA
OR IT'S TOUR OPERATORS WHICH IS UNACCEPTABLE
TO THE PASSENGER, THE PASSENGER WILL HAVE THE
OPTION OF CANCELLING WITHOUT PENALTY, OR
REROUTING ON DIFFERENT FLIGHTS TO/FROM THE
SAME OR DIFFERENT DESTINATION. HOWEVER, THE
PASSENGER MUST PAY ANY ADDITIONAL AMOUNTS
RESULTING FROM THE REROUTING.
Older posts may be read here.
Print Wikipost

AA schedule changes - flight change / cancellation / refund policy (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2024, 12:11 pm

Programs: UA *S , MR LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
If you've only talked to AA once then HUCA. There can be a HUGE disparity in agent quality at AA, some are clueless and terrible and at times you'll have no idea what/how they were trained or what they're looking at. Then you can call right back and get a good helpful agent who pushes your change through in a matter of minutes with no questions asked.
I did HUCA once with the very same result by now leaving a few hours between the two calls. How many time would you suggest to do that to finally get help?

Greetings - Dirk
Old Jul 27, 2024, 7:25 am

Originally Posted by kodalip
landline connections
OT, but what are “landline connections”? Trains?
Old Jul 27, 2024, 7:27 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ConstellationClass
OT, but what are “landline connections”? Trains?
I assume this means the landline bus connections at PHL.
Old Jul 30, 2024, 6:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
What level of flexibility is offered (if any) when a flight number changes but there is an insignificant (5-10 minute) change in schedule?

I'm ticketed on EZE MIA LAX but would prefer to switch to EZE JFK LAX for better schedules and lay flat on the transcon.
Old Jul 30, 2024, 7:17 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, AmEx Membership Rewards
Originally Posted by coleslaw
What level of flexibility is offered (if any) when a flight number changes but there is an insignificant (5-10 minute) change in schedule?

I'm ticketed on EZE MIA LAX but would prefer to switch to EZE JFK LAX for better schedules and lay flat on the transcon.
In my experience, a schedule change that insignificant only allows you to switch to a same day flight with the same exact routing (i.e. an earlier/later MIA to LAX).
Old Jul 31, 2024, 3:50 am

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
Recently, I had a schedule change that changed date of departures and time from a red eye friday night to early 6am flight the next day. When I followed AA provided link for refunds and cancellation, it automatically created a credit voucher instead of refund. Although I am entitled a refund from an agent, Im a bit surprised that AA has not made it automatic complying with latest legislature passed by the government.

Buttigieg also raised concerns that some airlines may not be informing passengers that they are entitled to refunds. "Airlines should not be automatically issuing vouchers or credits when a passenger is entitled to a refund. If passengers opt for vouchers or credits, they must be valid for at least five years."
Why hasnt AA made this adjustment knowing this policy was already in force.

Jiburi

PS-tho irrelevent, my booking was not basic economy.
Spiff likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2024, 8:52 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Did AA reach November for the schedule changes or they are still working on October?
Old Jul 31, 2024, 9:14 am

Programs: BA Gold Hilton Diamond IHG Spire ANEK Ferries Gold
Originally Posted by Lefly
Did AA reach November for the schedule changes or they are still working on October?
They are playing about with mine for early November. App is now showing diffrent things but not had anything from AA yet.
Lefly likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2024, 11:23 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum
I had changes for Oct 28th and Nov 2nd come through on Sunday. I noticed them Sunday, but only received from AA overnight this morning.
Lefly likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2024, 11:33 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
I had a November international schedule change that increased the layover by a little more than one hour (although each individual flight change was less than one hour -- the first flight is departing earlier, and the second, connecting flight is departing later -- total layover was around 75 minutes longer).

First agent declined to change to the nonstop, HUCA and the second agent made the change.
Lefly likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2024, 12:59 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Amb LTT, HHonors Diamond, AA ExPlat, United Silver
Dec schedule change

Received an e-mail yesterday about an early December schedule change
Lefly likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2024, 7:52 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
DFW-ICN changed from 787 to 772 as of 10/26 with a slight change in flight time. Wonder if this is just seasonal. Gives me a better chance for SWU to clear
Old Aug 2, 2024, 6:32 am

Programs: Marriott LTP, Wyndham Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, Delta Plat, Hertz PC
I got hit with a nine hour change in November from LAX-SAT as they dropped the evening non-stop. Checking on AA.com, I can change flights, but some of them require additional miles. Shouldn't any change on a nine hour schedule change be one for one? I usually fly Delta and I would never pay extra on a schedule change, especially a nine hour one. This was booked with miles, though I wouldn't think that would matter.
Old Aug 2, 2024, 2:12 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by zdcatc12
I got hit with a nine hour change in November from LAX-SAT as they dropped the evening non-stop. Checking on AA.com, I can change flights, but some of them require additional miles. Shouldn't any change on a nine hour schedule change be one for one? I usually fly Delta and I would never pay extra on a schedule change, especially a nine hour one. This was booked with miles, though I wouldn't think that would matter.
Find the routing you'd prefer and call or tweet them. They should make the change. I had a change in early November, 8500 miles but I preferred another flight and it's pricing out at 30,000 miles. They switched me with no additional miles taken on X.
zdcatc12 likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2024, 8:26 pm

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, United Gold, US Airways silver
Flight for TOMORROW (AA4334 - BOS => CMH) cancelled because of "air traffic control" issues. We are staying by the airport (Hyatt @ Logan) watching aircraft land and take off. Here are no weather problems now or expected tomorrow. When I called to see if we could get back to Columbus tomorrow on another flight - even connecting flights through DCA, PHL, CLT, ORD, or even DFW, was told there were no available fights,. When I asked if we would be reimbursed for expenses (hotel and meals; estimated @ > $600, was told that AA has NO RESPONSiBILITY for flight cancelled because of "air traffic control issues." When I pressed this with the "help desk" I was told to contact the FAA (!).

As a long-time loyal AA customer (MM, past EXP) this is more than disappointing. I am very angry about his and am requesting that AA reimburse us for the added evening hotel stay and. meals while we await our rebooked flight that is now on Sunday instead of Saturday. Any chances this will happen?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.