Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA schedule changes - flight change / cancellation / refund policy (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 28, 2015, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
AA schedule changes - free flight change / cancellation / refund

The latest change policy may be read here (Thanks to MRP Alert for resource link.)
The above link appears to be broken. The latest change policy, as of June 13, 2023, can be found here.

As of March 2022:
  • Limited changes allowed if schedule change is 60 minutes or less.
  • More flexibility if schedule change is 61 minutes or more.
  • Refunds on non-refundable fares typically require a schedule change of 241 minutes or more.

NOTE: The Detailed Fare Rules for your ticket(s) details refundability, etc. You can read (and print to PDF, etc.) before you purchase. Regardless of fare title (Refundable, Flexible, etc.) you should read these prior to purchase.

beachfan has shared:

I believe if it's an equipment swap, to a less desirable plane (I.e, 777 to 738) then yes, full refund, otherwise it's 120 minutes. One Mile at a Time blog covered this and referred to the contract of carriage (or whatever the linked document is called; it's titled general rules).

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...irplane-change

International Tariff (March 2023)

International General Rules

Code:
SCHEDULE CHANGE
IN THE EVENT, AFTER TICKET ISSUANCE, SCHEDULE
CHANGES ARE MADE BY AA THAT:
(I) AFFECT A PASSENGER'S DEPARTURE AND/OR
ARRIVAL BY 2 OR MORE HOURS;
(II) RESULT IN THE ADDITION OF AN INTERMEDIATE
STOP ON THE PASSENGER'S ITINERARY;
(III) RESULT IN A SUBSTITUTION OF EQUIPMENT NOT
ACCEPTABLE TO THE PASSENGER; OR
(IV) IF A CANCELLATION OR A CHANGE IN EITHER AIR
OR TOUR ITINERARY IS INITIATED EITHER BY AA
OR IT'S TOUR OPERATORS WHICH IS UNACCEPTABLE
TO THE PASSENGER, THE PASSENGER WILL HAVE THE
OPTION OF CANCELLING WITHOUT PENALTY, OR
REROUTING ON DIFFERENT FLIGHTS TO/FROM THE
SAME OR DIFFERENT DESTINATION. HOWEVER, THE
PASSENGER MUST PAY ANY ADDITIONAL AMOUNTS
RESULTING FROM THE REROUTING.
Older posts may be read here.
Print Wikipost

AA schedule changes - flight change / cancellation / refund policy (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2024 | 7:03 pm
Original Member
20 Countries Visited1M20 Years on Site

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ConstellationClass
Thanks for the heads up. The DCA-NYC schedule after Xmas saw a huge haircut, with no afternoon flights at all on a day when I have a connection through JFK onto the 10:30pm flight to LHR.
I had FCO-PHL-LGA during the holiday. Evening PHL-LGA gone and rebooked to next day. Chatted with AAgent and switched to FCO-LHR-JFK.

Maybe have them to do IAD or BWI nonstop on BA?

Originally Posted by GagaPilot
Thanks for the reply. The last few years weve seen AA almost year-round up here, with only a gap during January/February. We used them last year during the same time period in December, and went with them again for the convenience of a 1 stop versus DL/UA with 2 stops. If they are cutting the route earlier this year in December, and wanting to rebook on AS via SEA/PDX, will likely just request a cancel for a refund and rebook on DL.

How difficult is AA to work with during cancellations like these? With DL there would be no push-back and a full refund if requested to go that route.
Full refund is definitely an option cause it sounds like they didnt even rebook on another ANC flight.

They might be able willing to book on AS and/or combination with AA flights being oneworld if no workable AA flights.

Just do your research on Google Flights/ITA Matrix first and then spoon feed the desired flights to AAgent via X (direct messsage) or chat in AA app. The price shown doesnt matter you just need to find a new set do flights with availability in same cabin.

I did just this morning no fuss.
GagaPilot likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2024 | 8:05 pm
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited5 Years on Site

Originally Posted by seawolf

Maybe have them to do IAD or BWI nonstop on BA?
Appreciate your suggestions. BWI is a lol-nope for us. We applied SWUs to JFK-LHR so not sure how well that would work going over to BA. I eventually discovered a midafternoon DCA-LGA that will work (weirdly it had zero availability in any class at 9am and then opened up by noon today).
Old Sep 9, 2024 | 7:09 am
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited10 Years on Site

Programs: AA Exec Plt , Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by ConstellationClass
Appreciate your suggestions. BWI is a lol-nope for us. We applied SWUs to JFK-LHR so not sure how well that would work going over to BA. I eventually discovered a midafternoon DCA-LGA that will work (weirdly it had zero availability in any class at 9am and then opened up by noon today).
I've often seen on Sundays where AA does schedule changes a lot of flights often show zero availability for whatever reason and then by Sunday evening/Monday the inventory levels return to normal. Just something to note for next time.
ConstellationClass likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2024 | 10:47 pm

Programs: Nectar Card
Would an invol schedule change (in advance, rather than day of travel) on an award ticket booked by another carrier (say BA or AS) be subject to AA's rebooking policy? Or, would it be kicked back to the ticketing carrier who would then have to find open award space again?

I figure it's the latter, which would make booking with an AA partner a bit of a risk. I don't think those partners can force award space open, either, if there isn't any.
Old Sep 10, 2024 | 4:15 am
5 Years on Site

Programs: DL DM
Just following up on my cancelled ANC-DFW flight in December. I think a refund request is in progress, but it hasnt been that easy:

Called in to AA. First agent saw the changes and confirmed ANC-DFW was being seasonally discontinued on my date of travel and the flight was cancelled. She cancelled my reservation and assured me a full refund to original form of payment would process within 3-5 days. She seemed knowledgeable, but it was almost too easy.

After the call I noticed that a flight credit showed up in my AA account for the ticket price. Hmmmm. I had specifically asked to cancel for a refund and not a credit. Perhaps this was a normal interim thing with AA as again Im infrequent on AA and primarily DL. Decided to call back and inquire.

Second agent said no refund had been processed and that because it was a non-refundable ticket, no refund was due. Only a credit. Didnt matter the route was cancelled. When I pushed back citing AAs own policy, plus DOT rules, he stood firm that it was non-refundable. I asked for a supervisor.

Once the supervisor came on she apologized for the confusion and assured me it was eligible for a full refund due to the cancellation. However AA agents cant process a refund request, and that it must be done by the customer on prefunds.aa.com. She walked me through that step, entering the ticket number and other relevant data.

Im still leery if Ill ever see a refund. Fully understand itll take a few days for the request to be reviewed plus refund processing time. But it just wasnt customer friendly and I got the distinct feeling they were trying to avoid a refund.

Is it normal to get this much runaround from
AA? I gripe about DL as much as the next guy, but this doesnt exactly make me want to give AA my business.
Old Sep 10, 2024 | 5:16 am
10 Countries Visited20 Years on Site

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by GagaPilot
Once the supervisor came on she apologized for the confusion and assured me it was eligible for a full refund due to the cancellation. However AA agents can’t process a refund request, and that it must be done by the customer on prefunds.aa.com. She walked me through that step, entering the ticket number and other relevant data.

Im still leery if I’ll ever see a refund. Fully understand it’ll take a few days for the request to be reviewed plus refund processing time. But it just wasn’t customer friendly and I got the distinct feeling they were trying to avoid a refund.
Using prefunds is the process. For whatever reason, refunds on AA aren't automatic. For cancelled flights, I've always had to submit the request at prefunds.aa.com. The first two agents should have told you that -- poor training, which unfortunately is more common than it should be. I've never had AA deny a refund as a result of their cancellation (for any reason) once the request was properly submitted.
Old Sep 10, 2024 | 11:34 am
20 Years on Site

Programs: Whatever AMEX Plat comes with... I buy on price.. Spirit Big Front Seat, want First/buy First
I've got two reservations week of Christmas I'm trying to alter because the airline I'm connecting to changed (the EAS contract for the city changed to another carrier, so I have to fly into a different city to connect to them). Guess more changes are in the works because I'm getting this pop up since last night:

Old Sep 11, 2024 | 10:51 am
15 Years on Site

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
We booked 5 pax in business class GRU-MIA-LAX, the overnight flight from GRU-MIA on Saturday Jan 4 (12:30am departure) and then left a full day in MIA before transiting on to LAX on Saturday evening. The fare is R so has some flexibility, no change fees and allows a free stopover in the US. Initially we wanted Saturday day and an overnight in MIA, but the flights the next morning (Sunday) would not show up on AMEX when we booked, only Saturday flights or Sunday evening flights.

Once booked, I called both AA and AMEX to try to shift the MIA-LAX flight to Sunday. AA said they would not touch the ticket and AMEX continued to not see the Sunday morning flights from MIA-LAX so we just let them sit awaiting a schedule change.

Now our Saturday evening MIA-LAX flight has been changed, to an 80 minute connection after landing from GRU (so not even enough time to shower) onward to LAX on Saturday morning. I haven't rung AA yet, but I am assuming the 12 hour schedule change should be enough for them to agree to touch the ticket now and honor their schedule change policy. But the big question, since the underlying fare allows a free stopover, we should be allowed to be moved to the next morning, but will AA do that or will they again point me back to AMEX (who hilariously still cannot see the Sunday morning MIA-LAX flights)?
Old Sep 11, 2024 | 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
20 Years on Site

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by stephem
We booked 5 pax in business class GRU-MIA-LAX, the overnight flight from GRU-MIA on Saturday Jan 4 (12:30am departure) and then left a full day in MIA before transiting on to LAX on Saturday evening. The fare is R so has some flexibility, no change fees and allows a free stopover in the US. Initially we wanted Saturday day and an overnight in MIA, but the flights the next morning (Sunday) would not show up on AMEX when we booked, only Saturday flights or Sunday evening flights.

Once booked, I called both AA and AMEX to try to shift the MIA-LAX flight to Sunday. AA said they would not touch the ticket and AMEX continued to not see the Sunday morning flights from MIA-LAX so we just let them sit awaiting a schedule change.

Now our Saturday evening MIA-LAX flight has been changed, to an 80 minute connection after landing from GRU (so not even enough time to shower) onward to LAX on Saturday morning. I haven't rung AA yet, but I am assuming the 12 hour schedule change should be enough for them to agree to touch the ticket now and honor their schedule change policy. But the big question, since the underlying fare allows a free stopover, we should be allowed to be moved to the next morning, but will AA do that or will they again point me back to AMEX (who hilariously still cannot see the Sunday morning MIA-LAX flights)?
Since you booked through Amex you unfortunately have to handle everything through Amex including schedule changes and new flights.
TWA884 likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2024 | 11:01 am
15 Years on Site

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Since you booked through Amex you unfortunately have to handle everything through Amex including schedule changes and new flights.
Interesting you say that. I have done tons of "fixes" directly with AA where they make a schedule change and revalidate the ticket and I dont like what they have done. Even with TA issued travel agents, I have dealt directly with them on things that fall squarely within the purview of their schedule change policy. That is not my question though, since the flight I want would not fall within the purview of the schedule change policy. But the fact that they have already changed the flight (to one I dont want) and reissued the ticket makes it clear they can actually make changes to a TA issued ticket.
Old Sep 11, 2024 | 11:47 am
10 Years on Site

Programs: American, Delta, JetBlue, United
Originally Posted by futuramadramallama
Would an invol schedule change (in advance, rather than day of travel) on an award ticket booked by another carrier (say BA or AS) be subject to AA's rebooking policy? Or, would it be kicked back to the ticketing carrier who would then have to find open award space again?

I figure it's the latter, which would make booking with an AA partner a bit of a risk. I don't think those partners can force award space open, either, if there isn't any.
You would need to work with the airline that issued the award ticket. That airline can open additional award space on its own flights, but can only request, not force, its partners to do so. If you are not satisfied with the alternatives offered after a significant schedule change, you can receive a refund of your miles and fees and then start over.
Old Sep 11, 2024 | 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by JPG3392
You would need to work with the airline that issued the award ticket. That airline can open additional award space on its own flights, but can only request, not force, its partners to do so. If you are not satisfied with the alternatives offered after a significant schedule change, you can receive a refund of your miles and fees and then start over.
Thanks for the confirmation. Unfortunately, as suspected.

Does it follow that booking an award on AA itself would bypass these types of issues? Because an invol change would follow their broader policy on the topic, even allowing rebookings on itineraries without existing award space?
Old Sep 11, 2024 | 4:44 pm
10 Years on Site

Programs: American, Delta, JetBlue, United
Originally Posted by futuramadramallama
Thanks for the confirmation. Unfortunately, as suspected.

Does it follow that booking an award on AA itself would bypass these types of issues? Because an invol change would follow their broader policy on the topic, even allowing rebookings on itineraries without existing award space?
Yes and no, since it depends on what flights are involved. If you book award travel on AA and there is a sufficiently significant schedule change, AA can force new award travel space on its own flights but can only request its partners to do the same. The same is true on the reverse situation, as far as partner airlines are concerned (i.e., a partner airline can clear additional award space on its own flights, but cannot force AA or other partners to do the same). Refund always remains an option.
futuramadramallama likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2024 | 4:46 pm
S80

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, QR Gold, UA 1K, Hilton Diamond
Yes and no, since it depends on what flights are involved. If you book award travel on AA and there is a sufficiently significant schedule change, AA can force new award travel space on its own flights but can only request its partners to do the same. The same is true on the reverse situation, as far as partner airlines are concerned (i.e., a partner airline can clear additional award space on its own flights, but cannot force AA or other partners to do the same). Refund always remains an option.
And while AA can make the request to all partners, certain ones will generally open the space (BA), and some will not even respond (QR)
futuramadramallama likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2024 | 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by S80
And while AA can make the request to all partners, certain ones will generally open the space (BA), and some will not even respond (QR)
This makes sense. Appears I'm off to AAdvantage then.
Thank you to you both.
JPG3392 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.