Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Report Hilton Aspire $50 x 4 Flight Credit experiences (All Airlines)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2024, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: stanj
The Aspire Flight Credit benefit terms (below) specify reimbursement for purchases of airfare made directly with an airline or through amextravel.com. However, it is likely that any purchase billed directly by an airline using their main merchant account will qualify. Transactions processed by third parties, such as points.com (mileage purchases) or Cashstar (giftcards) or GoGo (Internet service) will not qualify. You need to know how your airline bills for specific services.

Benefit Terms:

$200 Flight Credit
Basic Hilton Honors American Express Aspire Card Members can receive up to a total of $50 in statement credits each calendar quarter (January through March, April through June, July through September, and October through December), for up to $200 annually for eligible purchases of airfare made directly with an airline or through amextravel.com. To be eligible for this benefit, an airfare purchase must be for a scheduled flight on a passenger carrier and purchased directly from the airline or through amextravel.com.

Eligible purchases do not include: charter flights, private jet flights, flights that are part of tours, cruises, or travel packages or ticketing or similar service fees, ticket cancellation or change fees, interest charges, or purchases of cash equivalents. Purchases of scheduled flights made with third party travel agents or websites may be eligible for this benefit if the airfare is charged directly to your Card account by the airline. Please visit americanexpress.com/rewards-info for more information.

Eligible purchases can be made by both the Basic and any Additional Card Members on the Card Account. However, the total amount of statement credits for eligible purchases will not exceed $200 per Card Account per calendar year. Please allow 8-12 weeks after the eligible purchase is charged to your Card Account for statement credit(s) to be posted to the Account. To receive this benefit, your Card account must not be cancelled or past due at the time of statement credit fulfillment. Statement credit(s) may not be received or may be reversed if the purchase is cancelled or modified, or if you engage in abuse or misuse in connection with the benefit.

American Express relies on the merchant's processing of transactions to determine the transaction date. The transaction date may differ from the date you made the purchase if, for example, there is a delay in the merchant submitting the transaction to us or if the merchant uses another date as the transaction date. This means that in some cases your purchase may not earn the statement credit benefit for the benefit period in which you made the purchase. For example, if an eligible purchase is made on December 31st but the merchant processes the transaction such that it is identified to us as occurring on January 1st, the January statement credit would be applied. American Express also relies on information provided to us by the merchant to identify eligible purchases. If American Express does not receive information that identifies your transaction as eligible for this benefit, the Basic Card Member will not receive the statement credit. For example, your purchase will not be eligible if it is not made directly with an airline or through amextravel.com (e.g. if a purchase is made through a third party travel service). Basic Card Members may not receive the statement credit if we receive inaccurate information or are otherwise unable to identify your purchase as eligible, if a transaction is made with an electronic wallet or through a third party (such as an app store), or if the merchant uses a mobile or wireless card reader to process it.
Aspire Reports:
For the quarterly $50 Aspire airline credit, the following are also reported as working:
  • Foreign carriers are eligible as expected. Confirmed for Air Canada, Aer Lingus, Transvia, British Airways.
  • Delta ticket with purchase split between 2 payment methods works.
  • Award fees. These are ticket charges and confirmed working for Air Canada, American, Delta, Southwest
  • Bag fee on JetBlue bag works
  • Redeposit fee on Air Canada works
  • United Airlines TravelBank works. UA posts this as a fare, and it can only be used for fares.
  • Alaska Airlines gift cards: 1+ report of it working and 1 not working
  • American Airlines gift cards work
  • Southwest gift cards: unknown
Not working:
  • Delta gift cards. Bills as Cashstar, even when purchased in a Skyclub
Print Wikipost

Report Hilton Aspire $50 x 4 Flight Credit experiences (All Airlines)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2024 | 3:23 pm
50 Countries Visited2M100 Nights10 Years on Site

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
Originally Posted by FlyerAVL
Purchase Type: UA Travelbank
Amount of Purchase: $50
Date of Purchase: 6-Jul-2024
Date of Posting: 7-Jul-2024

Credit Posted: 10-Jul-2024
Identical datapoint.
Old Jul 12, 2024 | 4:50 pm
10 Years on Site

Purchase Type: Air Canada change fee
Amount of Purchase: $100 CAD
Date of Purchase: 1-Jul-2024
Credit Posted: 5-Jul-2024
Old Jul 15, 2024 | 11:30 am
10 Countries Visited20 Nights15 Years on Site

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Purchase type: UA Travel Bank
Amount: $50
Date purchased: 7/11
Date reimbursed: 7/14
Old Jul 15, 2024 | 12:18 pm

Purchase type: AS checked bag (via online check-in)
Amount: $35
Date purchased: 7/3
Date reimbursed: 7/6

Interesting...
Old Jul 21, 2024 | 10:52 am
10 Countries Visited15 Years on Site

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by crimsona
Purchase Type: Air Canada change fee
Amount of Purchase: $100 CAD
Ditto for the $150 cancellation fee.
Old Jul 23, 2024 | 11:25 am
100k30 Nights

Programs: DL Gold, HHDiamond, IHG Gold Regular Joe Everywhere Else
I purchased a ticket on Delta 6/26 for quarter 2 and no credit appeared.

I reached out to AMEX on 7/18 and was told that since my credit for the 1st quarter hit on April 2nd, it counts as the second quarter and I am not eligible to receive the credit. The rep said that even though the ticket was purchased in the second quarter, it appears to be all about when the credit hits and I need to take it up with Delta. I am pretty pissed about this.
Old Jul 23, 2024 | 12:27 pm
mia
Flyertalk Posting Legend Moderator: Credit Card Programs, American Express, Capital One, Chase, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures.
10 Countries Visited2M20 Years on Site

Programs: HH & IHG Gold; Marriott & AA Perpetual Platinum
Originally Posted by Dracarys
even though the ticket was purchased in the second quarter, it appears to be all about when the credit hits...
No, it is about the "transaction date", not the "purchase date" and not the date that the credit posts to your account. Airlines typically delay processing transactions for a day or two to comply with the mandated 24 hour cancellation window. What is the date of the airline transaction shown on americanexpress.com?

The relevant terms are here:

American Express relies on the merchant's processing of transactions to determine the transaction date. The transaction date may differ from the date you made the purchase if, for example, there is a delay in the merchant submitting the transaction to us or if the merchant uses another date as the transaction date. This means that in some cases your purchase may not earn the statement credit benefit for the benefit period in which you made the purchase. For example, if an eligible purchase is made on December 31st but the merchant processes the transaction such that it is identified to us as occurring on January 1st, the January statement credit would be applied. American Express also relies on information provided to us by the merchant to identify eligible purchases. If American Express does not receive information that identifies your transaction as eligible for this benefit, the Basic Card Member will not receive the statement credit. For example, your purchase will not be eligible if it is not made directly with an airline or through amextravel.com (e.g. if a purchase is made through a third party travel service). Basic Card Members may not receive the statement credit if we receive inaccurate information or are otherwise unable to identify your purchase as eligible, if a transaction is made with an electronic wallet or through a third party (such as an app store), or if the merchant uses a mobile or wireless card reader to process it.
Old Jul 23, 2024 | 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by Dracarys
I purchased a ticket on Delta 6/26 for quarter 2 and no credit appeared.

I reached out to AMEX on 7/18 and was told that since my credit for the 1st quarter hit on April 2nd, it counts as the second quarter and I am not eligible to receive the credit. The rep said that even though the ticket was purchased in the second quarter, it appears to be all about when the credit hits and I need to take it up with Delta. I am pretty pissed about this.
As ​​​mia pointed out the credit is based on transaction date so if your Q1 transaction date was 3/31 or prior then it's irrelevant that the credit for it posted 4/2 (which is in Q2) and counts for Q1. This is how it works for all Amex benefit credits that are monthly, quarterly, biannual, and yearly. I've had transaction dates for monthly credits on the last day of the month and annual credits on 12/31 and when the credit posted in the new year or month that didn't mean I used up my new credit and it was still available for me to use again.

The Amex rep you spoke to is misinformed and gave you completely incorrect information.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2024 | 2:03 am

Purchase Type: Aeromexico Preferred Seat Selection
Amount of Purchase: $45.90

Date of Purchase: 15-September-2024
Charge Posted: 15-September-2024
Credit Posted: 23-September-2024
Dr Jabadski likes this.

Last edited by whenismynextvacation; Sep 24, 2024 at 11:46 pm
Old Sep 18, 2024 | 11:48 am
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited40 Countries Visited

Purchase Type: UA travel bank
Amount of Purchase: $50

Date of Purchase: 09/12/2024
Charge Posted: 09/12/2024
Credit Posted: 09/22/2024
algs26, Dr Jabadski and atojbk like this.

Last edited by Sheeyu; Sep 23, 2024 at 7:44 am
Old Sep 19, 2024 | 12:45 am

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
Originally Posted by whenismynextvacation
… Will update when it posts
Originally Posted by Sheeyu
… Credit Posted: nothing yet...😭
Welcome to Flyertalk, I hope you find it as educational and rewarding as I have.

With all due respect, posts as quoted above are not helpful or productive. One day is way too soon to see the credit(s) post and/or opine that credits for the specified fee have been terminated. Maybe the update/follow-up post will be forgotten (to post), maybe there will be a delay. It would be far more helpful to post a successful datapoint or an unsuccessful datapoint after the few days it usually takes for the credits to post.

Please don’t leave us all hanging and remember to update.

Again, I do not mean to be rude or unfriendly or disrespectful or unwelcoming. Quite the contrary, both authors quoted are (relatively) new and this information might be helpful for them.
SPN Lifer and ZenFlyer like this.
Old Sep 19, 2024 | 1:25 pm
10 Years on Site

Originally Posted by Dr Jabadski
Welcome to Flyertalk, I hope you find it as educational and rewarding as I have.

With all due respect, posts as quoted above are not helpful or productive. One day is way too soon to see the credit(s) post and/or opine that credits for the specified fee have been terminated. Maybe the update/follow-up post will be forgotten (to post), maybe there will be a delay. It would be far more helpful to post a successful datapoint or an unsuccessful datapoint after the few days it usually takes for the credits to post.

Please don’t leave us all hanging and remember to update.

Again, I do not mean to be rude or unfriendly or disrespectful or unwelcoming. Quite the contrary, both authors quoted are (relatively) new and this information might be helpful for them.
The second post you quoted was Sep 12 to yesterday (6 days) and is fairly long.

I had a UA travel bank posted Sep 13 and today still nothing so I'm in the same boat.
Old Sep 19, 2024 | 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by crimsona
The second post you quoted was Sep 12 to yesterday (6 days) and is fairly long.

I had a UA travel bank posted Sep 13 and today still nothing so I'm in the same boat.
I wouldn't consider it "long" but it's certainly longer than what it's taken the credits to post as of recent. However, over the years we've seen that the time it takes for Amex to post credits vacillate between taking just 2-3 days to taking up to 2 weeks. And we never know when it's going to change so if a credit was posting within 3 days for the past few months and now hasn't posted after 6 days it definitely doesn't mean that the credit isn't working anymore, because in the past we saw that the credit would instead come in after a week or 10 days or even 2 weeks. Then after a few months of that being the standard time line, it would change back to crediting in 3 days and everyone would get excited on how fast the credits were posting .

Following the various Amex credits thread has taught me (and I hope everyone else too) this. It's in the wiki of the UA airline fee credit cautioning members to wait at least 2 weeks for a credit to come through before coming to the conclusion that the charge made may not receive the hoped for credit after all.
Old Sep 30, 2024 | 10:35 am
5 Years on Site

Purchase Type: Turkish Airlines economy fare (in a foreign currency as it doesn't originate in the US)
Amount of Purchase: $842 equivalent

Date of Purchase: 23-September-2024
Charge Posted: 25-September-2024
Credit Posted: 30-September-2024
Old Sep 30, 2024 | 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by friedablass
… over the years we've seen that the time it takes for Amex to post credits vacillate between taking just 2-3 days to taking up to 2 weeks. And we never know when it's going to …

in the wiki of the UA airline fee credit cautioning members to wait at least 2 weeks for a credit to come through before coming to the conclusion that the charge made may not receive the hoped for credit after all.
Agreed. Unfortunately that those vacillations are frequent, apparently completely random and apparently without reason or reason.

Originally Posted by whenismynextvacation
… Charge Posted: 15-September-2024

Credit Posted: 23-September-2024
Originally Posted by Sheeyu
… Charge Posted: 09/12/2024

Credit Posted: 09/22/2024
Originally Posted by satellite779
… Charge Posted: 25-September-2024

Credit Posted: 30-September-2024
So there you have it, excellent example of AmEx (in)consistency, 5 or 8 (60% difference) or 10 (100% difference) days.

Guess the current “time to concern” is 10 days, until tomorrow when it could be 14 or 30 or more days .

Thank you to those who recently edited/updated their datapoint posts. (Thank you to ALCON (all concerned) for not being offended by my constructive criticism 4 posts above, #206.)

Last edited by Dr Jabadski; Oct 4, 2024 at 9:23 am Reason: typo correction

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.