Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 25, 2024, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wnielsen1
Annual fee increasing from $250 to $325 (effective July 25, 2024 for new applicants; October 1, 2024 for renewals)

Added (ENROLLMENT REQUIRED):
  • $7/month Dunkin credit:
    • initial data points are showing that the credit is triggered on Dunkin Card reloads
  • 2x$50 semi-annual Resy credit:
Changed:
  • $10/month Dining credit:
    • Added: Five Guys starting July 25, 2024 (joining existing choices: GrubHub, The Cheesecake Factory, Goldbelly, and Wine.com)
    • Dropped: Shake Shack, Milk Bar no longer eligible starting September 26, 2024
  • 4x MR points on restaurants worldwide now capped at $50,000 in category spend per calendar year starting January 1, 2025 (1x MR points above $50k)
No Changes:
  • $10/month Uber Cash
  • 4x MR points on supermarkets capped at $25,000 in category spend per calendar year (1x MR points above $25k)
  • 4x MR points on restaurants worldwide (but the $50,000 cap on category spend is new - mentioned above)
  • 3x MR points on airfare booked at airlines or through AmEx Travel
  • 2x MR points on prepaid hotels, prepaid car rentals, or cruise reservations booked through AmEx Travel
  • 1x MR points on all other purchases
Print Wikipost

USA personal Gold Card refresh 2024

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2024, 6:17 am
mtp

New card is live and as rumored.

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...ard/gold-card/
dw likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2024, 6:23 am
Moderator: Hyatt, American Express; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, AA EXP, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, Mlife Noir (=> Marriott Amb), invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by mtp
Interestingly, on my regular browser (i.e. where the AMEX site has me cookied and "knows" what cards I have even when I'm not logged in) this gave me "Loading Error / Sorry, we are unable to load this page at this time. Please try again later."

But the link worked for me in incognito mode.
DCAhome likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2024, 6:40 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Interesting - I guess we now know the target audience.

Here's the problem for me, this is a snapshot of what I have to track this month (plus soon Resy as well?!):

Monthly Dining Credits - July 2024
  • B- $12 Doordash (JPM) - ✅
  • P2- $15 Doordash -
  • P2- $15 Ubereats w/ AmexPlat -
  • B - $15 Ubereats w/AmexPlat - ✅
  • P2 - $25 Dining w/AmexBonvoy - ✅
  • B - $25 Dining w/AmexBonvoy - ✅
  • P2 - $10 Grubhub/CF - ✅
  • B-$15 Instacart (JPM) -
  • B-$10/qtr Instacart (Freedom) -
This is problematic as P2 does not worry about monthly credit usage, in fact it is difficult just to get her to use the right card for bonus and non-bonus spend.

And of course this simply covers dining, and not the many other "coupons" such as Saks, Clear, etc. not to mention all the annual free hotel nights and credits etc. - again for multiple persons.

Compare to my JPMR aka CSR card, where I am one-and-done in January with the annual $300 travel credit. Even the Chase WN EBCI and BS credits are easier to use.

It will be an easy call to cancel the $650 AF Bonvoy Brilliant cards if we do not get stellar use from those 85k certs, which would greatly simplify my life LOL.
Well, you say all this (and honestly, I don't disagree with you, I too am weary of the coupon book game), but you've been threatening to wave goodbye to Amex for, literally, years but if anything you seem to be in deeper than ever...

Regards
dw and Boraxo like this.

Last edited by scubadu; Jul 25, 2024 at 7:12 am
Old Jul 25, 2024, 6:42 am

Originally Posted by mtp
Interesting, thanks for sharing. I wonder when the changes go into effect for existing cardholders and if they will be notified. For example, will the Shake Shack credit stop working immediately. Are the Resy credits available now for existing cardholders?

Will be interesting to see if they notify existing cardholders of the changes and when they are in effect.

Regards
Old Jul 25, 2024, 6:56 am

Originally Posted by scubadu
Interesting, thanks for sharing. I wonder when the changes go into effect for existing cardholders and if they will be notified. For example, will the Shake Shack credit stop working immediately. Are the Resy credits available now for existing cardholders?
The updated terms and conditions state that "effective September 26, 2024, Milk Bar and Shake Shack will no longer be participating partners for the $120 Dining Credit."

I just checked my gold card's benefits section, and I have the new options to enroll in the Resy and Dunkin credits:

dw likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2024, 7:00 am

And it looks like the option to order a replacement white gold card is also available:

tcl and OrangeRange like this.
Old Jul 25, 2024, 7:15 am

Originally Posted by ebusch
The updated terms and conditions state that "effective September 26, 2024, Milk Bar and Shake Shack will no longer be participating partners for the $120 Dining Credit."

I just checked my gold card's benefits section, and I have the new options to enroll in the Resy and Dunkin credits:
Perfect, thanks! Just confirmed in my wife's account as well.

Regards
Old Jul 25, 2024, 7:21 am

Originally Posted by ebusch

Thanks for posting. When I checked the benefits on www.americanexpress.com Windows desktop I didn't see the option to enroll, but when I checked the Gold benefits through the Amex app I was able to enroll right away.

I also received email confirmations from Amex that I was enrolled in Dunkin and Resy.

Went ahead and reloaded $8.00 to the Dunkin android app and it coded as DUNKIN MOBILE.

It'll be interesting if I get a credit.
Old Jul 25, 2024, 7:24 am
Moderator: Hyatt, American Express; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, AA EXP, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, Mlife Noir (=> Marriott Amb), invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by diesteldorf
Thanks for posting. When I checked the benefits on www.americanexpress.com Windows desktop I didn't see the option to enroll, but when I checked the Gold benefits through the Amex app I was able to enroll right away.
I know you've already enrolled through the app, but in case this helps anyone else, I found the enrollment links in the desktop website under Rewards & Benefits at the top, then Benefits on the sub-tab, then scroll all the way down and click on the > to expand the "Dining" section.

Originally Posted by diesteldorf
Went ahead and reloaded $8.00 to the Dunkin android app and it coded as DUNKIN MOBILE.

It'll be interesting if I get a credit.
It said something about, may take 24 hours to kick in, so I was going to wait until tomorrow
Wyfind likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2024, 7:37 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Interesting - I guess we now know the target audience.

Here's the problem for me, this is a snapshot of what I have to track this month (plus soon Resy as well?!):

Monthly Dining Credits - July 2024
  • B- $12 Doordash (JPM) - ✅
  • P2- $15 Doordash -
  • P2- $15 Ubereats w/ AmexPlat -
  • B - $15 Ubereats w/AmexPlat - ✅
  • P2 - $25 Dining w/AmexBonvoy - ✅
  • B - $25 Dining w/AmexBonvoy - ✅
  • P2 - $10 Grubhub/CF - ✅
  • B-$15 Instacart (JPM) -
  • B-$10/qtr Instacart (Freedom) -
This is problematic as P2 does not worry about monthly credit usage, in fact it is difficult just to get her to use the right card for bonus and non-bonus spend.

And of course this simply covers dining, and not the many other "coupons" such as Saks, Clear, etc. not to mention all the annual free hotel nights and credits etc. - again for multiple persons.

Compare to my JPMR aka CSR card, where I am one-and-done in January with the annual $300 travel credit. Even the Chase WN EBCI and BS credits are easier to use.

It will be an easy call to cancel the $650 AF Bonvoy Brilliant cards if we do not get stellar use from those 85k certs, which would greatly simplify my life LOL.
I very much dislike the couponing as well but at the end of the day if I'm at a net positive then I'll keep the card and live with it.

You wouldn't have to track the 2x Uber credits you have separately, if as I mentioned above you would load both to the same Uber account.

Which card is it that gives you $10 Grubhub monthly other than the Amex Gold (CF?)?

The Instacart credits are going away at the end of this month so there will be no need to track those.

Originally Posted by scubadu

Will be interesting to see if they notify existing cardholders of the changes and when they are in effect.

Regards
Very interesting that as an existing card holder I received an email this morning, not for the primary member but for one of the AUs titled "Dine, travel, and unlock new experiences with your Additional Gold Card."

It describes exactly all the benefits discussed here and it sounds like once the Basic Cardmember enrolls you can enjoy the benefits right away; it's once per account, but they're letting my AU know that they can be the one to use it as well, doesn't have to be the primary that uses it.

Last edited by friedablass; Jul 25, 2024 at 7:48 am Reason: Typos
Old Jul 25, 2024, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...

I have the same problem/concern, and I have set up my P2 with a few cards that don’t require either of us to track stuff or worry about what card to use. Basically, the only P2 “coupon” I need to track is the AS companion cert. I book almost all our travel and pay almost all our large bills and can optimize that way. And to simplify my own life, I have cut back on some nominally net-positive cards recently. I “lost” two annual free night certs when I cancelled my Hyatt and Marriott cards, but I am sure I will do fine.

I am not eligible for the Gold card anyway, but if I was an eligible customer, I really wouldn’t be interested in a $325 coupon book at this time. I really wonder how much broad appeal this card will have going forward.

My current (mental) focus is on using and getting good value out of my existing account balances. Over the last few years, my points earnings have exceeded my points expenses (for various reasons), and that is changing this year.
Old Jul 25, 2024, 8:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by mtp
New card is live and as rumored.
Yep just got the email.

My take is that AMEX has learned cardholders are incredibly sticky and that they don't lose a substantial number even when they jack up the AF without a commensurate increase in benefits.

The value prop for this card will really only pencil if you're a heavy user of the 4x points categories. Otherwise you have to really work at earning marginal monthly credits to get even close to the new $325 AF.

Big contrast with Plat, from which I get literally thousands of dollars in excess value every year.
notquiteaff likes this.

Last edited by Kacee; Jul 25, 2024 at 9:42 am
Old Jul 25, 2024, 8:40 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Around 15 minutes ago I received the email addressed to the primary card holder as well. New AF for renewals goes into effect on 10/1/24.

Originally Posted by Kacee

The value prop for this card will really only pencil if you're a heavy user of the 4x points categories. Otherwise you have to really work at earning marginal monthly credits to get even close to the new $350 AF.

Big contrast with Plat, from which I get literally thousands of dollars in excess value every year.
New AF is $325.

Many do max out on the 4x groceries and dining making it worth the AF.

I can see getting excess value of a couple hundred dollars on the Plat but I'm wondering how you get thousands?
​​​​​​​
Boraxo likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2024, 8:49 am

Programs: SPG/Marriot Gold, Hilton Gold
It will be interesting to see if you can reload the Dunkin app and get the credit. I rarely go to Dunkin but I'll go occasionally if I build up enough in the app.
TerryK likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2024, 9:21 am

Programs: Korean Air Skypass, ANA Skyweb, Amex Premier Rewards, Chase Sapphire Preferred
Resy Credit

I am reading that you dont have to use Resy to get the credit. As long as the restaurant is in the Resy list you can make a purchase with your Amex directly at the restaurant. So you can buy gift cards also: https://thepointsguy.com/credit-card...x-resy-credit/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.