Community
Wiki Posts
Search

using amex to pay tuition

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2009, 4:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by xolinlevh
lol i have 2 goals before i graduate: 1) get a rolex (cliche i know) 2) get cent card.
Why?
Old Jun 3, 2009, 6:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
why not?
Old Jun 3, 2009, 8:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

why not?
I could think of many, many, many things I would rather do with the cash outlay. The vast majority of them involve actually doing something other than buying a piece of jewelery.
Old Jun 3, 2009, 10:48 pm

Programs: BA Gold Guest List; HH Diamond; Hyatt Diamond; SPG Gold
That's two pieces of jewellry; one for the wrist, one for the wallet!

Let these things be the side effects of achieving success; not your definitions thereof.
Old Jun 3, 2009, 11:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NickW
That's two pieces of jewellry; one for the wrist, one for the wallet!

Let these things be the side effects of achieving success; not your definitions thereof.
well rolex is easy enough for anyone to get, but the cent card i cant get till im successful, which prob wont happen till after college...unless i invent the new youtube or something before that....
Old Jun 5, 2009, 10:41 am

Programs: Continental, United, AA
Aim for the stars ^ but a watch and a black piece of plastic
Old Jun 5, 2009, 4:00 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, BA slvr, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH Gold
Originally Posted by J-FLyer
Aim for the stars ^ but a watch and a black piece of plastic
Metal

But I agree!
Old Jun 6, 2009, 5:50 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
lol i have 2 goals before i graduate: 1) get a rolex (cliche i know) 2) get cent card. the first one i can do, second one...far less likely to happen!
I had a couple "crazy" goals before graduating college too:

1) Get a good job (done)

2) Eliminate ALL debt with the exception of possibly a small mortgage (done)

3) Buy a house far below my financial means (done)

4) Pack away as much as legally allowed in the various finanancial retirement vehicles available to me on an annual basis (ongoing, but on track)

The fancy credit card, travel, and a few material "nice to haves" came much, much further down the line...

Regards
Old Jun 6, 2009, 10:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by scubadu
I had a couple "crazy" goals before graduating college too:

1) Get a good job (done)

2) Eliminate ALL debt with the exception of possibly a small mortgage (done)

3) Buy a house far below my financial means (done)

4) Pack away as much as legally allowed in the various finanancial retirement vehicles available to me on an annual basis (ongoing, but on track)

The fancy credit card, travel, and a few material "nice to haves" came much, much further down the line...

Regards
nice well ive got the first one done, seccodn one will be done by time next year starts. other 2 not so much on my list
Old Jun 6, 2009, 12:04 pm

nice well ive got the first one done, seccodn one will be done by time next year starts. other 2 not so much on my list
That's great too hear. Sounds like you are on the right track.

BTW, on the "second" one, when I said "ALL debt" I meant student loans too. You mean that as well right?

Additionally, I'm sorry to hear #4 isn't on your list. If FT is still around by then, let us know how that's workin' for ya'

Regards
Old Jun 6, 2009, 12:08 pm
Original Poster

BTW, on the "second" one, when I said "ALL debt" I meant student loans too. You mean that as well right?

Additionally, I'm sorry to hear #4 isn't on your list. If FT is still around by then, let us know how that's workin' for ya'

Regards
oops yea just noticed that typo, wrote that rather quick this morning. nah student loans are gonna take a good while longer to pay off. i was referring to credit cards, which i dont have a huge amount on but just want it all gone before next semester, rather not have to worry about it ya know? and for #4, i already have some retirement thing my grampa set up for me, him and my dad deal with the long term finances lol, im much more short sighted.
Old Jun 6, 2009, 12:26 pm

Programs: USAir Gold, Delta Slvr, Amex Plat, Hertz #1 Gold

Regards
Well now in fairness, that depends on his interest rates. A lot of those student loans are at 4% or whatever, it doesn't make any sense to pay those off because you can earn more investing the money elsewhere. Especially as the market continues rebounding, you'd be silly to pay off low-interest debt when you can be making a greater return elsewhere.
Old Jun 6, 2009, 1:07 pm

oops yea just noticed that typo, wrote that rather quick this morning. nah student loans are gonna take a good while longer to pay off. i was referring to credit cards, which i dont have a huge amount on but just want it all gone before next semester, rather not have to worry about it ya know? and for #4, i already have some retirement thing my grampa set up for me, him and my dad deal with the long term finances lol, im much more short sighted.
Right... So when I said "Eliminate ALL debt with the exception of possibly a small mortgage " I actually meant ALL forms of debt period, with the exception of a small mortgage, not just "credit cards." Said more succinctly, I owe no one money except the mortgage company, period.

Let us know someday how that "retirement thing" works out.

Regards
Old Jun 6, 2009, 5:23 pm

Programs: SPG, AA, BA, CO, UA, US, B6, DL, Amex MR, HH
I realize that starting early is the key to financial success in the long run, but be easy on xolinlevh. For some people student debt is their only option in order to get a degree that will more than pay for itself in the long run. I do agree though that buying a rolex and paying annual fees on a Cent card isn't the best use of his money (especially when he could be paying down some debt), but don't berate him just for having the student debt and not planning for retirement (which is pretty much impossible if you're still in college with no income and paying off loans).
Old Jun 6, 2009, 5:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dinosims
I realize that starting early is the key to financial success in the long run, but be easy on xolinlevh. For some people student debt is their only option in order to get a degree that will more than pay for itself in the long run. I do agree though that buying a rolex and paying annual fees on a Cent card isn't the best use of his money (especially when he could be paying down some debt), but don't berate him just for having the student debt and not planning for retirement (which is pretty much impossible if you're still in college with no income and paying off loans).
thank you...and honestly thinking about retirement as a college student is just a tad on the depressing side...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.