Wiki Posts
Search

using amex to pay tuition

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2009, 7:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
using amex to pay tuition

This year im going to pay my school tuition in full (approx 25k) rather then using student loans, however as forms of payment my school only takes visa/mc/check/direct bank deposits. is there any way to get payment made through my amex anyway? id like to get points for this....like can amex do some form of cashiers check billed to my acct or something like that?

thanks!
Old Jun 1, 2009, 8:21 am

Programs: CO Gold; SPG Gold***; AvisFirst;
You can always do a cash advance from a credit card (not charge). But... no points, fees and high interest.

Many schools do offer the ability to pay with CC via a third party. The third party charges steep "convenience" fees.

All in all, not a great way to go.
Old Jun 1, 2009, 10:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If the college will accept the V/MC without a transaction fee (which would be unusual) just get a card form one of them that earns in a program. Marriott has a pretty good Visa, for example.

But be careful with the convenience charges. When you start paying a couple points just for the miles you are very unlikely to be getting a good deal.
Old Jun 1, 2009, 5:30 pm
Original Poster

thanks for the replys guys. il just pay using my current visa, opening another partner card to get points on that or paying extra service charges are just to much of a hastle, was just hoping there was some super simple way to do this with amex, those MR points woudl come in VERY handy....
Old Jun 1, 2009, 9:52 pm

Programs: BA - Blue
As stated by the others, double check the 'convenience charge' for paying with CC. FOr my wife's tuition (two different schools): one charged 2% for a CC, the other just a fixed fee (?$5). For the former, using a CC was definitely no sense.

tb
Old Jun 1, 2009, 9:54 pm
Original Poster

sweet, yea im gonna call the offices tomorrow and double check, cuz if i can get a quick easy 30k MR points for just a couple buck charge extra, thats good. but 2% or anything liek that, yea ill pass :P
Old Jun 1, 2009, 9:59 pm

Programs: UA PP (47% MM), HH Gold, National Exec Elite
That stinks

I was able to pay mine one semester with my amex, but I did however pay a lot for the convenience fee, something like $200 on the ~$14K bill.

Works out to almost 1.5%
Old Jun 2, 2009, 11:13 am

Programs: SPG, AA, BA, CO, UA, US, B6, DL, Amex MR, HH
Yeah, my school will take Visa/MC/Discover for no-fee, but won't take Amex...it's fustrating, but that's why I got the Schwab Visa - 2% back on tuition
Old Jun 2, 2009, 11:33 am
Original Poster

yea i have a USBank rewards plat, i can use the points on there for a statement credit of ~$175, but thats amusing they raise my limit enough for me to charge all this, 4 months back they slashed my limit majorly down to $900 (grrrrrrrrrrrr) and have thus far refused to raise it again.
Old Jun 2, 2009, 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by xolinlevh
yea i have a USBank rewards plat, i can use the points on there for a statement credit of ~$175, but thats amusing they raise my limit enough for me to charge all this, 4 months back they slashed my limit majorly down to $900 (grrrrrrrrrrrr) and have thus far refused to raise it again.
I know what u r up to!!!! Go get em boy!!!
Old Jun 2, 2009, 4:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pepemaui
I know what u r up to!!!! Go get em boy!!!
hehe ima tryin! just wish the darn school took amex, those points (converted to miles) would be enough for my next vacation hehe
Old Jun 2, 2009, 5:37 pm

hehe ima tryin! just wish the darn school took amex, those points (converted to miles) would be enough for my next vacation hehe
where there is will, there is a way.. i smell centurion in ur future someday!! its great despite all the haters!!!!
Old Jun 2, 2009, 8:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pepemaui
where there is will, there is a way.. i smell centurion in ur future someday!! its great despite all the haters!!!!
lol i have 2 goals before i graduate: 1) get a rolex (cliche i know) 2) get cent card. the first one i can do, second one...far less likely to happen!
Old Jun 3, 2009, 2:34 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, SPG Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
lol i have 2 goals before i graduate: 1) get a rolex (cliche i know) 2) get cent card. the first one i can do, second one...far less likely to happen!
Become friendly with an alum who has many ties and is involved with the school still and have him/her talk to the higher ups.

Also, forget the Rolex man..go for something more interesting and different.
Old Jun 3, 2009, 2:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Howie721
Become friendly with an alum who has many ties and is involved with the school still and have him/her talk to the higher ups.

Also, forget the Rolex man..go for something more interesting and different.
hehe not sure if talking to the higher ups can get around the not taking amex thing, thats prob somethign that woudl take a lot of work to get changed. as for the Rolex, ya i know they are very over played, but i still kinda want one already have a very nice Cartier Pasha that i love to death.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.