Wiki Posts
Search

Priority boarding for soldiers. Why?

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2013, 4:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LH FTL, BA Bronze

Haven't used Amtrak for two years now. Yesterday at Chicago "active military personnel" were invited to board alongside babies, wheelchair users and the elderly. Does anybody know why?
Old May 26, 2013, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've never seen it happen, but my guess would be because this weekend is the Memorial Day holiday.
Old May 26, 2013, 5:02 pm

Programs: AA(PPro), UA, AGR, BW(Plat), HH, WoH, MB(S)
Maybe because they deserve some appreciation for what they risk?
Old May 26, 2013, 5:06 pm

Programs: AA P4L, WN, BA, DL, UA, HHonors, IHG
That's a long-standing policy for AA, and I noticed it recently on UA.
Old May 26, 2013, 5:19 pm

Programs: AA(PPro), UA, AGR, BW(Plat), HH, WoH, MB(S)
Originally Posted by Middle_Seat
That's a long-standing policy for AA, and I noticed it recently on UA.
And US, and I suspect all domestic airlines.
Old May 26, 2013, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: SBUX Gold
Seeing where the OP is from... do Germans not recognize the contributions of their military members?

I read an article that it's actually quite unusual for British military personnel to be in uniform, as in it's "weird" in British society's eyes to wear a uniform in public unless acting under orders on official business. Much different than in the US.
Old May 26, 2013, 9:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LH FTL, BA Bronze
Originally Posted by LAXative
Seeing where the OP is from... do Germans not recognize the contributions of their military members?

I read an article that it's actually quite unusual for British military personnel to be in uniform, as in it's "weird" in British society's eyes to wear a uniform in public unless acting under orders on official business. Much different than in the US.
I guess Germans recognize being in the armed forces as one of many ways to serve your country. So if you give priority boarding to members of the armed forces you'd have to give it to nurses, teachers and firefighters, too.
Old May 26, 2013, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by planestupid
I guess Germans recognize being in the armed forces as one of many ways to serve your country. So if you give priority boarding to members of the armed forces you'd have to give it to nurses, teachers and firefighters, too.
I actually don't disagree with you there (police as well).

That aside, that is the underlying reason for what you saw... a (albeit small) recognition of their service to the defense of our nation.
Old May 27, 2013, 4:15 am

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
Originally Posted by LAXative
Or maybe Germany's military has had different goals and outcomes in its wars than ours has, and so the public perception of the military differs.

I'm glad to see that Amtrak gives priority boarding to members of the military.
Old May 27, 2013, 10:10 am

Displays of nationalism and giving extra accommodation to military personnel are looked at very differently in Germany, as well as many other countries that have come out on the wrong side of recent history. You have to understand that people often used nationalism as an excuse or guise for carrying out horrific acts and we're still only a generation removed.

Not just Europe... Brazil and other parts of South America that have had military dictators in the last 50 years. You would never see the flag in every classroom or many yards like you do here. It's still looked at with hesitation there and usually the only time this is widely done is during something like the World Cup.

Anyways, I usually don't see the point of lining up to then board from a platform, but have no problem with giving military priority in line. It's a very minor way of saying thanks especially on Memorial Day. I could see how it would be odd or confusing to someone visiting from abroad though.
Old May 27, 2013, 10:31 pm

Programs: Amtrak Select Executive, Hertz PC, National EE, IC Diamond Ambassador, ALL Gold, Hyatt Disc
I do know that Amtrak Policy is to allow Uniformed Military Personnel to the Head of the Ticket Line as a Thank you. This also goes along with a 10% Military Discount. As for boarding in advance I would assume that would be in the spirit of Memorial Day. I wouldn't think it would make too much of a difference in terms of number of passengers boarding early (pre-boarding).
Old May 28, 2013, 2:40 pm

Programs: DL, UA, WN, Amtrak, Hyatt, Accor
My daughter-in-law's mother is German and d-i-l has spent a lot of time in Germany in the past ten years. She has told me Germans have a low opinion of their own military, it's considered an career unworthy of well-educated people. It's not surprising that a German would think it's odd to recognize the contributions of active-duty military. Americans respect their military members differently than many nationalities.
Old May 28, 2013, 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by Dianne47
it's considered an career unworthy of well-educated people
It's the same in the US, but it's considered impolite to acknowledge it. Dick Cheney unwisely said out loud that he didn't serve because he had "other priorities", but most Americans have other priorities also.

The rest of us get to stay away from land wars in Asia, and they get to board first, a meaningless gesture. It's a good deal for us.
Old May 28, 2013, 7:28 pm

Programs: DL, UA, WN, Amtrak, Hyatt, Accor
Wow, seebuyfly. What an ungrateful and entitled comment, sounds like the kind of arrogance not seen since about 1968. You and Dick Cheney, indeed.

My son is a graduate of the Naval Academy, served 12 years as a Marine fighter pilot, and is now in the reserves prepping to go to medical school. He also earned a masters degree while on active duty. I certainly count him as one of the most educated people I know.

Yes, only 1% of the population serves in the military. But when push comes to shove the other 99% are mighty glad to be protected and defended. Your comment is even more arrogant coming one day after Memorial Day.
Old May 28, 2013, 9:47 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum

Dianne, I don't think the OP's implication is as you suggest.

Mods, it might be time to call the horse dead on this one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.