Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amtrak between NYC Penn Station & Montréal

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amtrak between NYC Penn Station & Montréal

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2024, 12:20 am

Programs: Delta 3M DM, Southwest A List
It appears that delays/cancellations because of CN-owned track is no longer limited to the Rouses Point to Montreal route: The Ocean (VIA service to Halifax) is now taking a couple of hours longer because of the deplorable state of CN-owned tracks in New Brunswick.
Old Jun 12, 2024, 2:12 pm

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott
Originally Posted by PHXflier
It appears that delays/cancellations because of CN-owned track is no longer limited to the Rouses Point to Montreal route: The Ocean (VIA service to Halifax) is now taking a couple of hours longer because of the deplorable state of CN-owned tracks in New Brunswick.
Sadly, good. The more attention to this issue in Canada, the better.

Is Amtrak really just leaving equipment in Saratoga Springs for ~6 hours? If so, there has to be a better use for it. They could cancel the "Adirondack" and run 2x/daily summer special "Empire Service" trains NYP<>SAR in the same amount of time.
Old Jun 12, 2024, 9:21 pm

Programs: Delta 3M DM, Southwest A List
Originally Posted by lrdpenn
Sadly, good. The more attention to this issue in Canada, the better.
Unfortunately, VIA Rail does not have much political power in Canada... they are largely forgotten by the average Canadian. And The Ocean runs a few times a week, so there are not many people making use of it.
Old Jun 14, 2024, 5:45 am

Originally Posted by guv1976
Also, note that for the Southbound trip, if the train arrives ALB on time, it has a scheduled 40-minute dwell time there. I have not been through the ALB station in years, but they used to have a decent café there with food to go. So you might have time to pick up something for dinner there to bring on board the train. In fact, if the train is on time and you place a phone call at the right time, you could probably have a nearby pizzeria deliver a pizza or subs to you at the station entrance, which you could then bring back to the train!
Yeah I am going to stop at the ALB station. Do you remember what is the name of the cafe (or diner) near the station?
Old Jun 14, 2024, 5:47 am

I saw a trip report from youtube. I am wondering what you think of the train's food? Is it edible and the price is reasonable?
Old Jun 14, 2024, 9:40 am

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott
Originally Posted by Bluesky
I saw a trip report from youtube. I am wondering what you think of the train's food? Is it edible and the price is reasonable?
It's edible but keep your expectations in check. The quality of the sandwiches and hot items, which are generally microwaved, is gas station / convenience store level. There is usually at least 1 good beer. The pricing is reasonable: higher than street, but not exorbitant like airports.

This seems to show a flavor of what's generally available: https://www.businessinsider.com/amtr...orful-items-12
Bluesky likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2024, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Bluesky
Yeah I am going to stop at the ALB station. Do you remember what is the name of the cafe (or diner) near the station?
The café is in the station.
Bluesky likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2024, 9:56 pm

Thanks mates for answering my questions. Yeah that's interesting one from the link. It made me very hungry!
Old Jun 20, 2024, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Earlier we talked about Lucien-L’Allier. It is closed for extensive renovation: https://exo.quebec/en/news/achieveme...n?gad_source=1

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.