Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Asiana | Asiana Club
Reload this Page >

Infant in F class using Star Alliance award redemption

Old Feb 5, 2014, 11:26 pm
Original Poster

I was able to book LAX-ICN in First class on Asiana Airlines using UA miles. Today, I called Asiana to select my seats but was told infants
were not allowed in F class when using Star Alliance award redemption. Has anyone heard of this policy or been able to find a workaround?

Thanks.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 12:47 am
THD

Programs: OZ Lifetime-DMPL*G, AF*G, SPG Plat, Hertz PC
OZ have a policy of no infants and children under 7 years old on award tickets in First class, even to members in their own programme.

Do you actually need a bassinet, or seat allocation for any particular reason?

Admittedly this is a rather high risk strategy - if UA have issued the ticket and provided OZ do not cancel the ticket before departure, if you turn up on the day of departure to check in with your infant, surely OZ would not turn you away at check in...

Of course the downside if OZ were to reject you at check in would be very bad and that would be in line with their policies.

Last edited by THD; Feb 6, 2014 at 1:14 am
Old Feb 6, 2014, 2:00 am

Programs: UA MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
My son has been in OZ F at least 8 times (he's turning 4) on award tickets. Ticketed as both lap child and separately over the years. If there is any such policy, sure isn't enforced.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 2:13 am

Here is the wording from the OZ website:

A unaccompanied infant or a child under seven and an adult accompanying an infant and a child under seven cannot get the flight awards (including upgrade awards) for the First Class.
I suspect this is just typical bad translation from Korean to English. I suspect what is banned in First class (awards) is:
(1) Unaccompanied child under 7
(2) Parent with infant and child under 7

I think a single infant is totally fine, again I've done it multiple times.

Louseal you should contact UA to ticket the lap child. That's how I did it. Note, you will be charged 10% of a full First fare so it's not cheap. Requires manual pricing.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 3:30 am
THD

Programs: OZ Lifetime-DMPL*G, AF*G, SPG Plat, Hertz PC
Hmm...strange. I tried booking an F award through the London ticket office with my infant son (without seat) and was refused by the agent citing policy of no infant on F awards. Perhaps there is variation depending on the agent in interpreting the policy.

Note this was through the OZ programme, not using a UA to ticket on OZ flight.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 11:22 am
Original Poster

THD/KosherKimchee,

Thank you very much for the feedback. I spoke to four different reps at OZ including one manager and they all confirmed that infants were not allowed in F class using award ticket. They all blamed UA for accepting the reservation and ticketing his ticket which I paid 10% retail. They also said OZ check-in would not honor it if we showed up.

At this point, I'm leaning on cancelling and rebooking in B class (infants allowed). I don't want to rely on United to fix the issue while at LAX (connection) and putting our entire trip at risk.

KosherKimchee, just wondering, when was the last time you flew with an infant/child in OZ F class? According to OZ, this policy started some time last year.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 3:49 pm

About 6 months ago as toddler. As an infant, Christmas 2010.

Maybe they changed the policy since then but I doubt it. If you read what's posted online, its clear they dont want an unattended kid under 7 or a kid under 7 who isnt under 100% supervision (that is, parent has another infant). I dont see it saying what they claim it says and if you have a valid ticket issued by a partner and they denied you boarding I would go to the moon with the DOT on that one.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 4:05 pm

Look at the different language on this page on regular F redemptions vs Saigon (suite) first redemptions:

http://eu.flyasiana.com/C/en/homepag...0&menuType=CMS

General Language
A unaccompanied infant or a child under seven and an adult accompanying an infant and a child under seven cannot get the flight awards (including upgrade awards) for the First Class
Specific to Suite redemptions
Children under the age of 7 travelling alone and an adult accompanying a child the age of 7 are not qualified for first class Flight Award (including Upgrade Award)
Seems like on a non-suite route, adult with an infant (so long as you dont have another kid under 7) is fine but in suite rule tougher because adult cant be next to minor (makes sense).
Old Feb 7, 2014, 3:56 am

Having checked the Korean version...

"혼자 여행하는 만 7세 미만의 유/소아 및 만 7세 미만의 유/소아를 동반하여 여행하는 성인은 퍼스트 클래스 마일리지 항공권을(좌석승급 포함) 제공받을 수 없습니다."

Basically, any infant/child under 7 years old travelling unaccompanied, or any adult travelling with an infant/child under 7 years old, cannot redeem a First Class mileage ticket (including upgrade).

In any case, that's for OZ's FFP only. I'm not sure what OZ would actually do on an infant ticket issued by UA - does OZ has a blanket ban on infant discount in F?

Edit: Also, what would stop people from redeeming a full ticket for the children? Would OZ really deny boarding to a parent and child turning up at the airport booked in O?

Last edited by stargold; Feb 7, 2014 at 11:02 am
Old Feb 8, 2014, 10:12 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by stargold
Edit: Also, what would stop people from redeeming a full ticket for the children? Would OZ really deny boarding to a parent and child turning up at the airport booked in O?
Wouldn't surprise me. I find OZ employees to be sticklers when it comes to rules/policies.
Old Mar 9, 2014, 5:11 pm

My wife and son are booked in F Suites in two weeks on a UA award. He is 7 yrs, 10 months. I assume that Asiana's definition of under 7 is the same as mine and that he will be good to go, but can anyone verify this? Also, I can't find this policy on Asiana's website. I read through the linked page, but it doesn't say anything about this.

Last edited by djangojam; Mar 9, 2014 at 5:35 pm
Old Mar 9, 2014, 6:37 pm

It's not on website anymore, because OZ was afoul of *A rules. Now it's limited to Asiana Club upgrades to F, only. Compare flight award to upgrade awards. See language here:

http://eu.flyasiana.com/C/en/homepag...0&menuType=CMS
Old Mar 9, 2014, 6:38 pm

deleted dupe
Old Mar 10, 2014, 5:58 am

Great. Just to be sure, but without asking the question directly, I called Asiana to confirm seat assignments and order a child's meal.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 2:42 pm

Programs: SPG PLT
We just flew ICN-JFK with our 4 year old in F and had no issues. Ex-ICN they wouldn't give our Son one of those tip money books. Said they don't issue to children.

We were on an Aeroplan ticket.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.