Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2024 Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2024 | 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
20 Countries Visited30 Nights1M15 Years on Site

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Choice Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards OBM
Originally Posted by hourglass
Booked: full size
Offered: Tesla model 3 AWD
Taken: Tesla model Y
the model 3 is at a non existent spot. Couldn't find the vehicle after circling the lot and the model Y is stuck in valet mode. Called Avis roadside and customer service which both stated the location would have the pin, well.... No they don't.
Anyone knows what's the PIN? Else I'm planning to go back and swap it out
Probably best to just go swap it out. Also, your post is completely unreadable in dark mode since you specified a font color.

-J.
Old Jun 14, 2024 | 9:41 am

Originally Posted by GW McLintock
Probably best to just go swap it out. Also, your post is completely unreadable in dark mode since you specified a font color.

-J.
oops. I did it on mobile and didn't realize, just edited
GW McLintock likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2024 | 1:08 am

Programs: Delta Silver, Hilton Diamond
Booked: Full-Size
Offered: 2023 Ford Mustang Convertible
Received: 2023 Ford Mustang Convertible

Definitely didn't mind it, but I was planning on taking a few coworkers with me. Was told it was that or an Expedition. I made them just get in the back seat of the Mustang.

Booked: Standard
Offered: 2022 Dodge Charger SXT
Received: 2022 Dodge Charger SXT

On the 30 minutes bus ride from T2 to the Avis lot, the app did not work, and had to go to the desk. Got told the app "doesn't work" at LAX. I asked the lady at the desk what choices I had, but she made a call to someone and said that "We are out of cars. Someone needs to get on it." I was then told I was getting a Charger or a Minivan (I assume a Pacifica/Voyager). Asked if there was anything else and got told no. Took the 43k base model Charger, which wasn't in great shape. The lot was full of lots of cars too, so actual cars on the lot was not an issue. Kind of expected more out of the LAX location. My coworker went into SNA and got a high trim Mustang Mach E (without any status). Definitely doing that next time!
Old Jun 17, 2024 | 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by hourglass
Booked: full size
Offered: Tesla model 3 AWD
Taken: Tesla model Y
the model 3 is at a non existent spot. Couldn't find the vehicle after circling the lot and the model Y is stuck in valet mode. Called Avis roadside and customer service which both stated the location would have the pin, well.... No they don't.
Anyone knows what's the PIN? Else I'm planning to go back and swap it out
ended up switching it out the next day. Fist stopped by SJC as that's closer to my hotel, was given two codes to try: 8249(owning city) and 0224. First one only opened the glove box and second one doesn't work. Then told that no one has the code and it has to be "sent to factory", and they don't want to switch out the vehicle, presumably because they need to down the vehicle for few days.
Went back to SFO to swap out the car, in and out in 20 mins. The guy beside me rented a "small SUV" and the agent informed him he can't get a Prius because that's not what he reserved
Avis teslas are not in rental mode unlike Hertz, which gives you phone access and digital key during your rental period. They also don't come with EVSE or J1772 adapter

Last edited by hourglass; Jun 19, 2024 at 6:44 pm
Old Jun 18, 2024 | 9:15 pm
Original Poster
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited20 Years on Site

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club.
Last week:

Booked: Intermediate
Offered: A decent selection on the app
Chose: 2024 Jeep Grand Cherokee

It's a barge, but a comfy one. No complaints. not even that thirsty.

This week:

Offered: A decent but rapidly-changing selection on the app
Chose: 2024 Cadillac XT6

I'd take the above Jeep over this cheap cynical mess. Doesn't even have active cruise... the base model Accord I had over the weekend had that! Hard plastics everywhere, wheezy V6, does not feel premium at all. Pro: the Bose sound system is really good, and in this week's midwestern heat wave GM's famously-glacial air conditioning works great. But so, so ugly.
Old Jun 18, 2024 | 9:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club.
Originally Posted by JD1905
Would I be able to Upgrade when I arrive into LAX? I booked through British Airways 'Luxury' which unfortunately, appears to be a Chrystler 300. I am unable to make any changes in-app.
You might be able to upon landing, or getting close to the Avis lot.

The 300 uses (or used as it's now out of production) a number of Mercedes-Benz suspension designs and components and drives rather nicely for a big fat American sedan. I'd take one over any other Yank Tank. Oh wait, it's the last of those...
IAHtraveler and GW McLintock like this.
Old Jun 19, 2024 | 8:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Aaron Yim
I would like y'alls feedback on a new fleet list
I saw a few discontinued models on the main post and sometimes just want to see what's common rather than obssess over pages of posts (defs guilty!)

So I created a spreadsheet that tracks models, last seen, and any other notes:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
Chrysler 300 is discontinued (same platform as Charger).

I can't believe the cynical Cadillac XT6 is a "Signature" level. It's a flossy GMC Acadia and unworthy of that level.

BMW F30 3-series was discontinued in 2019. Current models (330i, M340i) are G20. The current and new 5-series is G60, the prior and most likely in the Avis fleet would be G30 /BMW nerd

ORD has a surfeit of MBz EQE and assorted Teslas.
Old Jun 20, 2024 | 9:48 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Aaron Yim
I would like y'alls feedback on a new fleet list
I saw a few discontinued models on the main post and sometimes just want to see what's common rather than obssess over pages of posts (defs guilty!)

So I created a spreadsheet that tracks models, last seen, and any other notes:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
Superb work, Sir!

I noticed the hyperlinks on the Groupings effectively repeated the Group A URL, so updated Class E and Class H, then noticed the font formatting changed, so I didn't do any more...

Also, although a little old now to possibly be included, but I was given a beat up, missing switches, 37k mile, old Mazda CX SUV out of Barataria Boulevard, Marrero, Louisiana (spent three days in new Orleans where we didn't need a car, and this was the best location BAH could book for us at the time). Best on the very limited lot at the time, but with a tyre pressure warning light on for most of the drive to Pensacola, was very happy to swap it for an Hyundai Palisade at Pensacola Airport (reg FL68AUZT). 24k miles on the clock, it had all the bells and whistles.

Thought I'd mention it, as I can't see a Palisade in the worksheet.
Old Jun 23, 2024 | 10:59 am
15 Years on Site

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Avis President's Circle
Booked: Intermediate SUV (VW T roc)
Received: VW Tiguan 2.0t

Repeat of my March trip except this Tiguan had the nice 2.0 for more autobahn fun. It also has these glossy black rims that I expect I will scuff at least once this week and get called out for it.

why oh why does Avis upgrade wheels in Europe with all the parallel parking and tight garages?
Old Jun 28, 2024 | 7:43 am

Offered: 2023 Dodge Challenger
Received: 2023 Dodge Challenger

The location had barely any cars available. This red color Challenger had 20k miles, base SXT trim with RWD, FL plates, and was not particularly clean. After one day, the tire pressure warning came on for both rear tires. Avis locations nearby had nothing available to swap, eventually CS suggested going to PHL, which was a bit out of the way. Didn't need to do a lot of driving, and really did not have time to deal with it, so stretched it for another two days by pumping up 10psi on a daily basis. Returned to the original location, informing them of the issue.
Old Jun 30, 2024 | 1:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
20 Countries Visited30 Nights1M15 Years on Site

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Choice Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards OBM
Booked: midsize sedan
Offered: 2024 Chevrolet Equinox 1LT
App: 2024 Mazda CX-90 Preferred Plus (not to be confused with Avis status )
Received: 2023 Dodge Charger

I hurt my foot and really didn't want an SUV or crossover. The Charger has a terrible vibration from one of the wheels but luckily I only need to go to the hotel and back. I figure it's still nicer than a Malibu, and I did specifically ask if a Charger was available.

-J.

Last edited by GW McLintock; Jul 1, 2024 at 4:18 pm
Old Jul 2, 2024 | 1:56 pm
30 Countries Visited500k80 Nights20 Years on Site

Programs: airline independent; HHonors Diamond/Marriott Titanium
Booked: Luxury
Received: 2023 Cadillac CT4 AWD

It was a late arriving flight and the attendant said he had picked out a nice Cadillac SUV for me, so I was kind of not expecting a sedan, but for that 4 das I drove it, it did drive very well, however i found the seat to the most uncomfortable in any Cadillac I've driven. Having owned and driven a few Cadillacs over the years, the one thing they usually can get right is seat comfort and dampening of outside noise. The noise was no issue, but the seat felt more like it should have been in a Chevy than a Caddy. Overall a solid rental, though.
Old Jul 2, 2024 | 8:29 pm
10 Countries Visited10 Years on Site

Booked: Standard 5 passenger SUV
Offered: 2024 Buick Enclave
Received: same

was much bigger than we needed (and I’m sure most people avoided the larger SUVs due to gas prices) but it was well equipped and only had 11k miles
Old Jul 3, 2024 | 9:27 am

Programs: United: Non-revver, IHG: Plat elite, Hertz: PC, Avis: PC, Enterprise: Platinum
Booked: Intermediate SUV
Offered: Nissan Rogue AWD
App: Ford F150 (Long bed and regular), a few Pacifica's (both hybrid and non-hybrid), a high mileage equinox and some other no-name standard SUV
Received: 2024 Grand Cherokee L

Got rear-ended in the DQ drive thru (of all places, urgh), so wanted to be comfy since I'm gonna have to be in this car for a few weeks. Originally had the F-150, but after talking to the preferred counter (they were AWESOME), they got me into a 3 row Grand Cherokee as a 2 class upgrade. None of the standard SUV's or intermediate SUV's were appealing when they were listing out options.
Old Jul 3, 2024 | 9:27 am

Programs: United: Non-revver, IHG: Plat elite, Hertz: PC, Avis: PC, Enterprise: Platinum
I personally found that the Traverses/Enclaves/Acadias get shockingly good mileage on the highway, Like high 20's if you're just cruising

EDIT: Meant to quote Masternc's message... Clicked 'quick reply' instead of 'quote', my bad!

Last edited by mhd1998; Jul 3, 2024 at 9:29 am Reason: Clarification

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.