Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Semi OT: How To Build A Jumbo Jet Engine (repeated BBC2, 3 Nov 2013)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2010, 11:44 am
Original Poster

On BBC Two tonight at 9pm (and iPlayer in due course) covering the development of the Rolls-Royce Trent 1000 that will power BA's 787s in due course.

Assuming it will be somewhat like the first and previous programme in the series about the new submarine HMS Astute it will be excellent television leaving you feeling proud to be British for both our engineering skills and that we have the BBC:

http://beta.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episod...ear_Submarine/

Having just watched it I was most amused to see that the the Royal Navy use Sunblest bread aboard - surely the submarine should have been named HMS Dignity.

Last edited by phillipas; Jul 4, 2010 at 12:02 pm Reason: grammar
Old Jul 4, 2010, 11:54 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by phillipas
On BBC Two tonight at 9pm (and iPlayer in due course) covering the development of the Rolls-Royce Trent 1000 that will power BA's 787s in due course.

Assuming it will be somewhat like first and previous programme in the series about the new submarine HMS Astute it will be excellent television leaving you feeling proud to be British for both our engineering skills and that we have the BBC:

http://beta.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episod...ear_Submarine/

Having just watched it I was most amused to see that the the Royal Navy use Sunblest bread aboard - surely the submarine should have been named HMS Dignity.
Hope they show some of the videos of the withstanding blade off and water ingestion tests. Quite incredible what the engines have to withstand and survive as part of certification.

Should be well worthwhile watching - and thanks to the OP for posting this ^ I watch so very little TV nowadays I would certainly have missed it otherwise.

Edited to add this amazing link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faDWF...ext=1&index=40

Last edited by BOH; Jul 4, 2010 at 12:09 pm Reason: Addition of link
Old Jul 4, 2010, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
The first program about the submarines was very interesting ^
Old Jul 4, 2010, 12:58 pm
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Genius1
The first program about the submarines was very interesting ^
Was it full of seamen?
Old Jul 4, 2010, 12:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BOH
Other than showing that Manchester is a wet place what was that all about!?

Seriously though it's pretty good to be reminded how amazing this whole flight this is. We happily moan about how special meals and seat shifting is a pain, but in comparison to the fact that we can board a metal tube and get transported across the world in a day (for a relative pittance) it's utterly insignificant - we should really be focussing on the miracle that is flight.
Old Jul 4, 2010, 2:34 pm

Programs: BA bronze
Just watching it......bloody hell, amazing what goes into making a jet engine.

All the RR staff come across as utterly professional....give me a RR powered jet any time

Old Jul 4, 2010, 2:39 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Love these type of programmes but having to tape it on Sky+. Mrs P is watching a chick flick !!!!!!!

I'll ignore this thread and watch it later. Oh the tension having to wait!
Old Jul 4, 2010, 3:05 pm

Programs: Mucci. And BA Gold previous awards - Gold 11, Silver 7, Bronze 4.
Originally Posted by Speedbird218
Just watching it......bloody hell, amazing what goes into making a jet engine.

All the RR staff come across as utterly professional....give me a RR powered jet any time

^ ^ Watching now... British engines on a British airline... roll on that 787... I can't wait!
Old Jul 4, 2010, 3:14 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Originally Posted by BA or bust
^ ^ Watching now... British engines on a British airline... roll on that 787... I can't wait!
very interesting programme indeed!
cs
Old Jul 4, 2010, 3:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Not available in my area.

I used to have a neighbour who worked in the Rolls Royce plant in Glasgow where they made the fan blades. He showed me a small one which was a beautiful piece of engineering but had been rejected due to a minuscule fault in it. Seems quite a percentage used to fail the quality test until computer operated machinery arrived.

He told me Rolls Royce have open days in some of their plants where you can tour the facility and get to see what they get up to...I never went to one but I hear it's worth a visit if you are near one.
Old Jul 4, 2010, 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by BOH
Hope they show some of the videos of the withstanding blade off and water ingestion tests. Quite incredible what the engines have to withstand and survive as part of certification.
Showed both tests...I found the water ingestion very interesting. Incredible amount of water the engine has to take in and spit out without loss of performance.
Old Jul 5, 2010, 12:40 am

Programs: BA Blue, VS Silver
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Not available in my area.
you need to get a proxy service - do you not miss the BBC?
Old Jul 5, 2010, 2:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Thanks for this. I enjoyed watching it
Old Jul 5, 2010, 2:11 am

Thanks for posting this. So glad I watched it.

I wonder what each of those engines sells for?

My grandfather worked at Rolls Royce (I think building concorde engines) so this show was really interesting.

Thanks
Old Jul 5, 2010, 2:28 am

Programs: BAEC
Good program, very impressive work too.

Originally Posted by redsox1918

I wonder what each of those engines sells for?
I dread to think, given that they mentioned each fin of the main fan cost as much as a family car

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.