Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Award Ticket - Hold

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2011 | 9:38 am
Original Poster

BA Award Ticket - Hold

Can I book a award ticket and hold the ticket for X number of hours (eg.48 hours) and then book it? I would like to know if this is allowed.
Old Jan 23, 2011 | 9:47 am

Programs: BA Gold....er now Silver...er now Bronze....er now Blue
Originally Posted by INDFlyer
Can I book a award ticket and hold the ticket for X number of hours (eg.48 hours) and then book it? I would like to know if this is allowed.
No you can't.
Old Jan 23, 2011 | 9:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Someone posted before saying they managed to get a ticket held for them. However, they were most likely high ranking, had the gift of the gab, based in N America or were bullpooing.

48 hours....no chance.
Old Jan 23, 2011 | 9:55 am

Originally Posted by INDFlyer
Technically yes, usually no.

I've had a ticket set up based on award availability previously and then held, but there have to be exceptional reasons.
Old Jan 23, 2011 | 10:07 am
Original Poster

Thanks, for your input.
Old Jan 23, 2011 | 11:09 am

Programs: Lord OPebble - Mucci of the Hour. Diamond Class MUCCI.Chevalier du Circle Intime de Pucci
We do this all the time through our Company TA. Once all the internal approvals have been gained then the TA books a confirmed flight.
Old Jan 23, 2011 | 11:13 am

Programs: Mucci Entry Level, BA Gold, EK Pleb, SK Pleb, QR Pleb
I have done this many times. Call EC and book your trip, they will inform you when the ticket must be paid.

Basically, if you don't have gold status you can hold the ticket until the next day, if you're gold you have up to three business days.
Old Jan 23, 2011 | 11:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by OPebble
We do this all the time through our Company TA. Once all the internal approvals have been gained then the TA books a confirmed flight.
On a redemption?
Old Jan 23, 2011 | 11:28 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, AA Platinum, Amex Platinum, SPG Amex
A few weeks ago I booked four tickets LAX-AMS with a stopover in LON. Since I was using 2 Chase redemption vouchers, I was compelled to call the US BAEC. I was mostly trying to secure F for the TATL flights from limited availability, and was not yet sure of the dates / times for the LCY-AMS flights. The BAEC rep told me she could hold the flight reservations for 72 hours and when I called back to book them I could make changes to to the shorthaul flights as needed.

When I called back (later that day) to complete the booking, a different agent was appalled, saying they are absolutely prohibited from holding award reservations and he indicted he would find out "who did that." He did book the flights that the prior agent had held for me, however.

Last edited by Tupelo; Jan 23, 2011 at 11:30 am Reason: Correct a typo....
Old Jan 23, 2011 | 11:49 am

Programs: BA Blue, BMI Blue+
You First has held 2 F seats (on a 2-4-1 redemption) for me for an afternoon. I've emailed them and asked them to setup the reservation then call my wife for payment of the taxes/fees (it was her 2-4-1 voucher).
Old Jan 23, 2011 | 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
10 Countries Visited20 Years on Site

Very possible on a revenue ticket (depending on the fare rules). On a reward, technically no but Your First/GGL if asked nicely can help you out.
Old Jan 23, 2011 | 2:20 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG & Accor Plat...
I have booked and then later cancelled 2-4-1 redemptions without penalty.... so I guess as long as you arent worried about the credit card refund coming in a statement period after the one in which you paid for the taxes (should the timing cause that).... then....I imagine its the same for award tickets... . I defer to someone who has tried this with award tickets just on the offchance that 2-4-1'a are treated differently...or that I was lucky twice...
Old Jan 23, 2011 | 3:38 pm
uk1
Suspended

A couple of years back I had triggered my 241 and was waiting for it to arrive. I could see the availibilty I wanted (2 x F - LHR>SIN>SYD>SIN>LHR) and called on the off chance they'd hold the seats for a few days. A very kind man said he would hold them - I think he said it was for 5 days - gave me his extension and he kept in touch until the voucher arrived which was within a day or so.

I only post this because from memory it was accepted knowledge then that this wouldn't happen and so I guess it might be worth a try now.

Good luck.
Old Jan 23, 2011 | 6:00 pm
20 Years on Site

As a Gold calling the US Gold line a few years ago, they were willing to hold a seat (F redemption on the 246) for me, but made it clear it was something they only did for Golds. In my case, we were trying to find a day with two seats in redemption F, and as the revenue loads were quite light, it seemed there would be a chance of getting another seat released (which also was something they said they could request for a Gold member, but obviously made no assurance as to whether the request would be granted).

Within a day or so, the request for the additional seat was in fact granted, and I was able to confirm both the seat that had been held, and the additional seat that was requested. ^ This was one of my earliest (and best) experiences as a GCH making a redemption booking.

I don't know if they still do this kind of thing for a "mere" Gold (as opposed to GGL or some other level I will likely never reach unless someone starts paying me to fly more than I probably want to). I also have the sense it was a little bit of a luck of the draw with the telephone agent, as I might have spoken with someone else in my search who either said they could not place a hold, or they could not place a request for an additional seat. Once I got an agent who was keen to help, though, they were truly exceptional, and I think even called me back once the second seat had been released, rather than making me wait and try to guess when to call.
Old Jan 23, 2011 | 8:10 pm
Original Poster

The issue is I will be receiving 25,000 miles into my account in a day or two if i book my ticket now i have to pay $300 more (miles + cash) I think I will just wait and take my chances.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.