Wiki Posts
Search

Weirdo Fellow Passengers

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2012, 4:25 am
Original Poster

Weirdo Fellow Passengers

Travelled First BGI-LGW very recently.
On boarding, I spotted a chap in 1A in a pinstripe suit wearing a lanyard with the logo of a European airline on it and a tag saying 'aircrew' standing up chatting to crew.

After take-off, as soon as seatbelt lights go off, he stands up facing the whole cabin and stares intently at everyone, occasionally fingering at his badge and occasionally shuffling whatever was in his pocket.
It seemed fairly intrusive for the passenger in 2A in particular not to mention the various young women in the cabin.
He remained standing all the way through meal service and only sat down occasionally when the seatbelt light came on.
I mentioned to the FA that his behaviour was a bit creepy and could she persuade him to sit down or, if he needed to stand (e.g., for a bad back) could he at least face the front. But she seemed somewhat intimidated by him.
As most people went to sleep and the lights went down, he started walking slowly up and down the cabin, stopping by most seats for a few moments and staring at the sleeper. This continued through most of the flight.
The only time he showed any awareness was when another passenger picked up his phone and looked as if he was going to photograph Mr. 1A at which point Mr. 1A dropped abruptly down into his seat.

Is this all some new security system, was he a modern-day Frank Abagnale Jr. or was it performance art?
Old May 5, 2012, 4:30 am

Programs: BA gold
Originally Posted by MadnessOfCrowds
Is this all some new security system, was he a modern-day Frank Abagnale Jr. or was it performance art?
Or quite possibly someone with a learning disability, or whatever the latest politically correct term is nowadays.
Old May 5, 2012, 4:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by Stez
Or quite possibly someone with a learning disability, or whatever the latest politically correct term is nowadays.
That would explain the "Aircrew" bag-tag

Very strange behaviour indeed.
Old May 5, 2012, 5:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
It is understandable that airline staff might be interested in their passengers.

But a bit bizarre that there should be so much blatant standing and staring!
Old May 5, 2012, 5:22 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Was it Willie Walsh?
Old May 5, 2012, 5:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Which "European Airline" was it? If we knew that, we could embark on a long thread about ethnic/cultural stereotyping.

That, in turn, would keep the Mods busy over the weekend ….
Old May 5, 2012, 5:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by T8191
Which "European Airline" was it? If we knew that, we could embark on a long thread about ethnic/cultural stereotyping.

That, in turn, would keep the Mods busy over the weekend ….
Its either BA or Virgin.

It wasnt Richard Branson, he doesnt wear a suit.
Old May 5, 2012, 6:05 am

Probably someone here and there will be a very indepth trip report to come 'I noticed the gentleman in 3A had the beef for dinner and seemed to sleep very well soon after, lying on his left as can be seen in the photo below. As you can also see, his pyjama sleeves were a bit short. I did feed this back to the CC at the time but the young lady backed away quickly'
Old May 5, 2012, 6:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I've witnessed similar behaviour from some fellow passengers in Y.

They are always situated at the front of the cabin. They stand up, do some stretching exercises then look backwards and stare at everyone. Usually always male and in their thirties.
I have sometimes felt like shouting "sit down you weirdo" but decided I didn't want to draw attention to myself.
Old May 5, 2012, 6:30 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by HIDDY
I have sometimes felt like shouting "sit down you weirdo" but decided I didn't want to draw attention to myself.
Gather 50 volunteers. Use the standing annoying person for target practice with bread rolls.
Old May 5, 2012, 7:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
Gather 50 volunteers. Use the standing annoying person for target practice with bread rolls.
They still give Y pax bread rolls?

I can't wait to get back there again. ^
Old May 5, 2012, 7:34 am

Programs: BA gold

I can't wait to get back there again. ^
More like a lump of rock.
Old May 5, 2012, 7:38 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
More accurate with a Catapult

Old May 5, 2012, 9:29 am

They do, and in the right hands they can be lethal.
Old May 5, 2012, 9:36 am

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.5; en-gb; GT-I9100 Build/GINGERBREAD) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

I've witnessed similar behaviour from some fellow passengers in Y.

They are always situated at the front of the cabin. They stand up, do some stretching exercises then look backwards and stare at everyone. Usually always male and in their thirties.
Air marshalls, perhaps?

Last edited by ag51; May 5, 2012 at 9:37 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.