Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LHR Terminal 5D?

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2012 | 5:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Plat for Life, SPG Plat, United Silver, given up on Skypesos for good
LHR Terminal 5D?

With bmi acquisition, has there been any news on the above and pot'l link with T3?
Old May 27, 2012 | 5:55 pm
20 Countries Visited50 Countries Visited2M15 Years on Site

Programs: BA gold
I haven't heard anything new yet, but would be interested to hear what is on the grapevine.

If you haven't seen it already, this thread contains some info about the intended future direction of LHR terminals, including diagrams.
Old May 27, 2012 | 5:55 pm

Programs: MUCCI
I can't see the bmi purchase as leading to any noise on this front at all, unless a newspaper chooses to rerun the toast rack using this as an excuse, etc. It certainly won't lead to any change of the planing and timescales.

What it will raise is the question of airline terminal consolidation. But BA already had operations split between T5 and T3. And all the other onewold airlines are at T3, appart from IB who are in 5 now. Getting BA into one terminal would be impossible, so having it across 2 vs 3 terminals is not a huge concern. A big change since consolidation was last visited is that transatlantic with AA is now a joint business for BA, yet is divided between 3 and 5.

While it might be undesirable to have operations in another terminal, this will not be the primary concern in the bmi project. [Although I would expect to see duplicated destinations consolidated soonish.]

When thinking about consolidation options, remember *A have their operations split up currently.

Another angle you might see raised is the idea for OW to get the new T2....

The main thing BA will be wanting asap is the flights fully into the BA sales system so they can sell them properly and rationalising services and making better use of the slots, terminals will be a concern after that.

Last edited by David-A; May 27, 2012 at 6:17 pm
Old May 27, 2012 | 7:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Plat for Life, SPG Plat, United Silver, given up on Skypesos for good
thanks for the link Stez.
Old May 28, 2012 | 3:49 am

Location: 15 minutes west of LHR, Stockholm, or somewhere inbetween.
Programs: BAEC Gold GGL, CCR, GfL, Mucci des Recherches des Consommations Exotiques.
As far as I know, T5D isn't on BAA's books, until Heathrow East is nearing completion.

bjorns
Old May 28, 2012 | 10:45 am
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited20 Years on Site

Programs: BA
Was not some planning restriction agreed on T5 for the passengers per year that go through it, which was more or less reached on day one, so any increase in that means opening up the whole public enquiry again ?

Always strikes me that even T5C (and to a lesser extent T5B) is stupidly too short, with a number of stands off the end needing to be bus gates. Was there a reason for the structures not being built to the full length available ?

Much of the space where a T5D might fit is already used for aircraft parking, operating as bus gates, to the same layout as any gates might be, so a terminal structure there would not add a great deal to capacity, apart from eliminating bussing.

Meanwhile the runways are fractionally too close (about 75m) for ICAO standards of full parallel operations in poor weather. If one had to be pushed out by some 75m then I presume the north side one would be the one to relocate.
Old May 28, 2012 | 10:49 am
20 Countries Visited50 Countries Visited2M15 Years on Site

Programs: BA gold
Originally Posted by WHBM
Always strikes me that even T5C (and to a lesser extent T5B) is stupidly too short, with a number of stands off the end needing to be bus gates. Was there a reason for the structures not being built to the full length available ?
Someone said on here that it was due to lack of money. Someone else also said it may have interfered with airport operations/communications if they built it "wider".
Old May 28, 2012 | 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by Stez
I haven't heard anything new yet, but would be interested to hear what is on the grapevine.

If you haven't seen it already, this thread contains some info about the intended future direction of LHR terminals, including diagrams.
It's a very interesting diagram, and I'm surprised it hasn't garnered more comment here:

Old May 28, 2012 | 1:46 pm

Programs: BA, LH, VS, Hyatt, SPG
The last investor update from IAG intimated that it's got its eye on getting a slice of the action at the new T2.
Old May 28, 2012 | 2:02 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ian001
The last investor update from IAG intimated that it's got its eye on getting a slice of the action at the new T2.
well one of the concessions given to the EU for BMI approval was for BA to promise to carry on feeding the Star network at LHR. So therefore that reason a BA presence at T2 would make sense.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.