Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Acceptable amount to steal from the Galleries Lounge

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Acceptable amount to steal from the Galleries Lounge

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2022, 9:54 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by BOH
Yes. 1000% that you would do the exact same thing

Like I said, the self-righteousness and virtue signaling of some on here borders on outright ridiculous
But you're wrong about me, and I suspect a good number of others too. Simply adding emoji's and stating a 1000% doesn't in any way strengthen your argument.

Using terms like self-righteous and virtue signalling is a lazy response. Why don't you address the actual points made. The lounge rules are for consumptions in the lounge, what basis do you have for being an exception?
Old Oct 10, 2022, 9:58 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Lefly
So, may I fill my water bottle with the water from the lounge, or also that could be considered theft?
According to our resident self-righteous crowd it would indeed appear to be!
BlueThroughCrimp likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2022, 10:11 am
BOH

Originally Posted by dougzz
But you're wrong about me, and I suspect a good number of others too. Simply adding emoji's and stating a 1000% doesn't in any way strengthen your argument.

Using terms like self-righteous and virtue signalling is a lazy response. Why don't you address the actual points made. The lounge rules are for consumptions in the lounge, what basis do you have for being an exception?
1. Because in the past I have asked the staff, explained why (it is difficult to eat breakfast that early) and they have said "yes, of course" immediately. Almost bordering on surprise I actually asked them.
2. As at least one other has stated, it has often been encouraged by BA staff when BoB was introduced and also when BoB was suspended (in the old form) when Covid started. "Feel free to order something extra to take with you on the plane" was what one BA agent was telling every pax on entry to the lounge during the height of Covid when only table service was available.

You want me to ask the BA staff every single time if I can take a solitary croissant and a can of coke with me to the plane....when I will ALWAYS get a look back of total surprise and a "yes, of course"? "You can eat it wherever you want", accompanied by laughter was the response I got when I last asked

Has that answered your question to your satisfaction and calmed down your rage and sheer indignation at this industrial scale theft? I do hope so
BlueThroughCrimp and Above like this.
Old Oct 10, 2022, 10:30 am

Programs: BA Gold
You’ve gone from it’s my entitlement through I have a medical condition, and finally arrived at I asked and was told it was OK.

I have no rage or indignation on this matter. I do have amusement at your deviations through various excuses, and your willingness to throw around virtue signalling and self righteousness with zero reason to do so.
HIDDY, Stormbel, passy777 and 2 others like this.
Old Oct 10, 2022, 10:34 am

Programs: BA blue,, aeroplan 25K
Is there some guide or regulation for lounge consumption either in or outside the lounge ?
I would think whatever one can consume while
in the lounge would be fine. I can’t see them stopping you from eating what you want and as for alcohol, I’m sure there’s consumption regulations and they can stop serving or stop consumption of anyone who’s behavior becomes an issue :
As for taking things out ? Surely there’s a “regulation” or guide to fall back on somewhere to prevent just this issue of a “grey” or discretionary problem but maybe I’m wrong
If it’s written down somewhere it’s pretty clear even if staff give you the go ahead. And likely done so as to avoid exactly this - what’s acceptable ….
some lounges in other airlines have “take away” lounges for grab and go bags so the concept of only in the lounge is not universal
clearly leaving the decisions to individuals will absolutely run the table and Lord of the Flies will prevail: I see it as acceptable and not theft to take a can of coke and an apple or bag of crisps,
another may find that unacceptable and feel if you can’t consume it in the lounge - don’t take it out, while others may think filling a cooler with cans of beer and taking the entire bar with them along with Tupperware full of food is also “ok”
it’s why society needs rules. And they are for the 1% not the 99%
BOH likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2022, 10:59 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by BOH
According to our resident self-righteous crowd it would indeed appear to be!
I think that people appear self righteous when they say what we do not wish to hear - but do so in response to things that we say in the first place.

Anyhow that is wandering far off topic now that silly exaggerations of what common sense tells us is acceptable or otherwise. I think that it is also a tussle between need and greed, Frankly although I would have tried to be more a tiny bit little tactful than JessicaB , I do not disagree with her. When people are taking the equivalent of a picnic out of the Lounges I think that this is totally unnecessary. If you are traveling in Economy and feel that BoB is beyond your budget - there are plenty of outlets that sell sandwiches and other snack food at very modest prices.

I will share this with you as told by a friend who was working in T3 Lounge since this thread came to life. Some woman was seen packing a teapot, a jug (I think she said) and cups and saucers in bubblewrap in full view of anyone (as one does), This was the china used as well in First. Clearly this drew attention and she was asked to put it back. She then said that she had bought various items on line and wanted to make up her set. She thought that it was good publicity for BA among her friends. My jaw dropped at the bare faced cheek of the woman. You could not make some of this stuff up. I wonder how much china and glassware "disappears" from First cabins,
BOH, T8191, gormless and 1 others like this.
Old Oct 10, 2022, 11:12 am

Programs: BAEC. Gold
Originally Posted by aircrashsurvivor
some lounges in other airlines have “take away” lounges for grab and go bags so the concept of only in the lounge
Doesn't the AA lounge in T3 have a sweetie stand
Where you can select a paper bag (s) and fill it with pick and mix sweets for your flight?
I seem to remember something when I was last in there 2 years or so ago
Old Oct 10, 2022, 11:49 am

Programs: Qantas Platinum (Oneworld Emerald)
So this topic seems to have got quite heated and personal, not really sure why, and I don't want to inflame things further but I am curious why take-away from the lounge is the one rule we draw the line on?

Because in other threads, people are told to try their luck boarding with Group 1 even if they're not eligible. Then there's the encouragement to dump your luggage in the first available overhead bin, even if that displaces others and forces them to stow theirs several rows behind. Then I got told I was a fool for waiting for the captain to turn off the seatbelt sign before jumping up first to collect said bags - the crew won't stop me apparently so it's ok. But taking a muffin from the lounge, no, that's clearly unacceptable...
Old Oct 10, 2022, 12:24 pm
BOH

Originally Posted by dougzz
You’ve gone from it’s my entitlement through I have a medical condition, and finally arrived at I asked and was told it was OK.

I have no rage or indignation on this matter. I do have amusement at your deviations through various excuses, and your willingness to throw around virtue signalling and self righteousness with zero reason to do so.
It's both (as I am sure you can work out). Plus I don't feel I have to justify myself with every single bit of detail when I personally think it is ZERO issue to eat something I am perfectly eligible to....but at a time of my choosing. But as you kept pressing with the ridiculous virtue signaling I (reluctantly) added some extra detail.

So, given I have asked the BA staff before and got an instant green light (and received a little laughter for even asking) I guess you are OK with this now? Or do you want even more detail.....proof of me being diabetic for example?
offtothehills likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2022, 12:59 pm

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Originally Posted by PUCCI (...)GALORE
there are plenty of outlets that sell sandwiches and other snack food at very modest prices (...)
I have yet to see actual modest food - & drink - prices at LHR or in an EU or US airport (these, I think they are the worst).
I prefer to pack snacks from home than paying 7/8 eur for a pre-packaged sandwich, 3+ eur for a KitKat or 5 dollars for a very small bag of chips/crisps.
Old Oct 10, 2022, 1:15 pm

Programs: Mucci Chevalier des Internautes Amables; BAEC
Wonderful to see this perennial debate reappear.

To me, this is a peculiarly British problem. As a individuals we consider ourselves sensible yet, to many, we seem collectively incapable of moderation thanks to the actions of a highly visible mickey-taking minority. And so whilst those of us who might take a bottle of water or a can of coke consider ourselves reasonable, the rule adherents quite rightly believe it is correct to stick to the rules so as to minimise the mickey taking.

A great example of this, in a different context, is today’s Eurovision news…Liverpool accommodation is suddenly ridiculously expensive thanks to the mickey-takers. The reasonable and the adherents are, I suspect, united in scorn of such behaviour, partially because we all feel tarrred by the same brush. The sad fact is the reasonable and the adherents end up fighting over the side of the virtuous, whilst the mickey-takers just don’t care…
BOH, skiaplg and Candystripes like this.
Old Oct 10, 2022, 2:15 pm

I occasionally take a bottle of water or packet of biscuits as my work often puts me in dive hotels with no room amenities.

Regardless of the legality, it feels infra dig.
Fatdickie likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2022, 2:39 pm

Programs: AB BA Waterloo Mama Mia
Originally Posted by Fatdickie
Doesn't the AA lounge in T3 have a sweetie stand
Where you can select a paper bag (s) and fill it with pick and mix sweets for your flight?
I seem to remember something when I was last in there 2 years or so ago

I recall the sign attached to the counter encouraged a care package to be taken for your flight.
Old Oct 10, 2022, 2:44 pm

Programs: AB BA Waterloo Mama Mia
Couple of weeks ago I had only a few minutes in the lounge because of a missed connection, was hungry, had no time to eat, grabbed a coffee, drank it and then decided a cookie was needed to sweeten my day and then came the decision....wrap it in a napkin and hurry off to my flight or stand in the entrance area ready to leave and consume the potentially illicit item. I chose to stay. It was the right decision. I slept better on the flight.

In reality, grabbing a bag of chips or a cookie to go should be acceptable. More extensive grazing is not in my opinion.
PGberkshire likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2022, 2:45 pm

Programs: BA Silver, several other less interesting cards...
Great stuff guys

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.