AMS: Fast track security for BA passengers

Old Mar 11, 2016 | 3:14 am
Original Poster

AMS: Fast track security for BA passengers

This is perhaps well known but a few things changed this week.

Security is now much more thorough, this may be a one off but we were asked to take chargers out of bags, toiletries bag was not allowed to be in same tray etc. Hopefully a one off but was frustrating a lot of people.

Also, priority boarding now meant three lines: Gold/Club - Silver - Bronze. this upset a lot of people, is it new?

Still can not see any fast track security in AMS1 for D gates.
Old Mar 11, 2016 | 3:36 am

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: AA CK Spouse, BAEC Silver , HH Dia, BonVoy Titanium, (former)Caesars7*, (former)Wynn Black, HR Icon
Originally Posted by flyer200

Still can not see any fast track security in AMS1 for D gates.
There is fast track (security lines) security at Departures 2 and Departures 3.

Departures 3, is near the British Airways Check-in. I've used it a few times over the past month. (I actually believe I have pictures). There are separate boarding pass scanners, then when you go up the escalator there is a priority flow (also Privium) that fast-tracks you to the far right security queue. There is usually a person checking boarding passes. Only time there is not someone there, is if it's very early (late) and there is basically no wait time.

Technically, this flows directly outside of the KLM Lounge #52 (after immigration) which is F gates, D gates are still a short walk. For D gates Departures 2 is easier to use, but if checking bags for BA, you have to use Departures 3. If you were 100% carry-on an boarding pass (electronic or otherwise) I would use Departures 2 (fast track entrance near Privium ClubLounge, which I note below). There is fast track immigration, but only for those with Privium membership. (Applicable for Dutch and USA Passport Holders, if you apply. Privium is reciprocal with Global Entry. Might also be applicable to some others, never looked into it.)

For Departures 2, fast-track is behind the 9/10 SkyPriority Check-in counters, or you can also flow from the other side near the Privium Club Lounge.

In all instances the "coding" on your boarding pass determines entry to fast track (via the gate scanners). For Departures 2, "gate scanners" are upstairs after you ride the escalator, for Departures 3 "gate scanners" are downstairs before you ride the escalator up.
Old Mar 11, 2016 | 4:22 am
Moderator, Emirates
10 Years on Site

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
All I can say about Departures 3 priority security when I went through on Tuesday morning is that as far as airport security checks go, it was an absolute pleasure. The security officer apologised sincerely for doing a secondary check on one of my bags and holding me back. It was still a lot quicker than any I've went through at LHR.

Safe & Happy Travels

S
Old Mar 11, 2016 | 4:29 am
10 Years on Site

Originally Posted by Saltire74
All I can say about Departures 3 priority security when I went through on Tuesday morning is that as far as airport security checks go, it was an absolute pleasure.
S
Seconded, i have just passed through priority security, one person in front of me and i was through in less than 2 minutes.

Have visited the BA lounge and am now in the Aspire lounge. Not a great deal of difference from my point of view..some more snacks in the Aspire
Old Mar 11, 2016 | 4:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
15 Years on Site

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Security is now much more thorough, this may be a one off but we were asked to take chargers out of bags, toiletries bag was not allowed to be in same tray etc. Hopefully a one off but was frustrating a lot of people.
??

2008: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/klm-f...s-out-too.html
2012: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/klm-f...ables-out.html
2013: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/klm-f...ables-bag.html
Old Mar 11, 2016 | 5:36 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend
50 Countries Visited10 Years on Site

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
That's odd. I went through a few weeks ago and I don't remember removing my two apple chargers and one dell laptop charger. Also I don't remember then being asked to remove them or having a secondary. Maybe the cables were sufficiently neatly wrapped up to be clear what they were on the scan?
Old Mar 11, 2016 | 4:18 pm

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by EI147
Seconded, i have just passed through priority security, one person in front of me and i was through in less than 2 minutes.

Have visited the BA lounge and am now in the Aspire lounge. Not a great deal of difference from my point of view..some more snacks in the Aspire
How was the immigration queue? Itvwas really bad in January and no Fast Track unlike the security.

I thought the Aspire Lounge had better snacks than the BA Lounge and toilets are inside the lounge, which is a plus, although they are not far from the BA Lounge.
Old Mar 12, 2016 | 6:28 am

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Tesco Blue, TK Elite (*G), Oyster Diamond Jubilee edition
Originally Posted by KARFA
That's odd. I went through a few weeks ago and I don't remember removing my two apple chargers and one dell laptop charger. Also I don't remember then being asked to remove them or having a secondary. Maybe the cables were sufficiently neatly wrapped up to be clear what they were on the scan?
I recently enjoyed the full experience - remove laptop and all cables, toiletries and then complete secondary search as there "were too many things in the bag". The only plus was that there was no queue at all.

On the other hand I have not done anything apart from removing laptop on any other of my previous 5 or so visits in last 3 years.
Old Mar 13, 2016 | 6:57 am
Original Poster

I do this route > 20 times a year for the last 8 years, never had this before
Old Mar 13, 2016 | 7:02 am

Programs: AA CK Spouse, BAEC Silver , HH Dia, BonVoy Titanium, (former)Caesars7*, (former)Wynn Black, HR Icon
Originally Posted by KARFA
Originally Posted by TravellerFrequently
How was the immigration queue? Itvwas really bad in January and no Fast Track unlike the security.

I thought the Aspire Lounge had better snacks than the BA Lounge and toilets are inside the lounge, which is a plus, although they are not far from the BA Lounge.
I do this route > 20 times a year for the last 8 years, never had this before
Last visit through non-Schengen Departures 3 was a few days ago. Only removed laptop and iPad. Kept shoes on. No issues with cables. Toiletries removed as required. One roller board, one man purse. Cables inside roller board.

Seamless, no issues. I get some secondary about 20% of the time; but seems to be much better than previous. I also carry (a lot) of cables.

Immigration, I use Privium which is always excellent (skip the queue).

Even thought I fly BA, I use the KLM lounge, since I find it more convenient (it's right there, when you exit) and the smoking room is very large.
Old Mar 13, 2016 | 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
15 Years on Site

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by baccarat_king
Even thought I fly BA, I use the KLM lounge, since I find it more convenient (it's right there, when you exit) and the smoking room is very large.
Is there now a way to get in the KLM lounges when not flying SkyTeam? I know KLM used to have an open doors policy for top tier members but that disappeared many years ago. But then I ditched KLM when Flying Blue had their enhancements in 2008 so perhaps it's been brought back.
Old Mar 13, 2016 | 7:42 am

Originally Posted by layz
Is there now a way to get in the KLM lounges when not flying SkyTeam? I know KLM used to have an open doors policy for top tier members but that disappeared many years ago. But then I ditched KLM when Flying Blue had their enhancements in 2008 so perhaps it's been brought back.
Delta Diamond = SkyClub member (one of the few additional benefits for Diamond) As long as one is a SkyClub member (not just SkyTeam Elite+) they can have access to the KLM Lounge as long as they are ticketed to fly that day on any airline. (including LCCs like EasyJet, and as noted above for BA).

It's a "small perk" I take advantage of, since I don't believe there is that much additional value obtained from visiting the BA lounge instead of the KLM lounge.
Old Mar 17, 2016 | 7:37 am
10 Years on Site

Originally Posted by TravellerFrequently

Immigration queue was a little longer but was through in 3 or 4 minutes at the most
Old Mar 17, 2016 | 7:59 am

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by EI147
Immigration queue was a little longer but was through in 3 or 4 minutes at the most
Great, thanks.

Back in AMS soon, so hope for a much speedier process.
Old Mar 31, 2016 | 10:06 am
Original Poster

Right, can someone give me an idiots guide to getting to Fastrack security?

Currently I come to departures 2 - go to the far left hand side - through boarding pass scanners - up escalator to large security hall

No fastrack

P.S I also just worked out you can walk up two flights of stairs after passport control and be in Lounge 40 - how long have we been able to do that?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.