Wiki Posts
Search

BA.com Currency Change

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2016, 7:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Blue
BA.com Currency Change

This probably has been answered before, many times, but.... Is there a way of getting BA.com to show me GBP instead of USD when looking at tickets originating from the USA?

I know it shows you the price in GBP/other currency at the end, and I know you can do Google for an approximate exchange rate. But I would like to know what exactly the price is in GBP before I purchase.

Cheers
Old Aug 27, 2016, 7:48 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Online no. It's a nuisance, and other IAG airlines manage to handle it (Vueling offers about a dozen currencies to play with on a nice drop down menu). However you should be able to call up and get a price quoted in Sterling. There are a few reports recently that this is not always offered, but it is in my case. If you are buying with BA Amex this is particularly important since the exchange rate used by Amex is close to outrageous, for a US based corporation with significant dollar and sterling reserves.
Old Aug 27, 2016, 7:59 am
Original Poster

Thanks CWS, your help is greatly appreciated.
Old Aug 27, 2016, 8:15 am
Original Poster

Also, do you recommend I phone the USA call centre, or the UK call centre?
Old Aug 27, 2016, 8:18 am

Originally Posted by RJD1983
Also, do you recommend I phone the USA call centre, or the UK call centre?
Call the US line and you'll be routed to someone in the UK (rather than an outsourced call centre). (at least, that is my experience)

Edit: HOWEVER - they (US line) may not quote you in GBP. Call the UK line in that case. Even though you're talking to the same people, in the same place, the line you call determines POS!
Old Aug 27, 2016, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by RJD1983
But I would like to know what exactly the price is in GBP before I purchase.
I don't know how well this works if you want to buy an ex-US ticket but pay in GBP. However, my experience of buying ex-EU tickets but paying in GBP is that the GBP price quote given by ITA on the same day is exactly the GBP amount which BA charges, correct to the penny (before the offline fee and UK credit card fee are added, of course). I suspect that this is because a common set of exchange rates is being used by the industry. So this might be a workaround for you if the ba.com "Currency calculator" link on the firm price quote page isn't close enough for your purposes.
Old Aug 27, 2016, 11:57 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, VFC Gold, Marriott Silver, Hertz PC, DYKWIA
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Virazuno
they (US line) may not quote you in GBP. Call the UK line in that case. Even though you're talking to the same people, in the same place, the line you call determines POS!
In my experience, BA phone staff will quote you in whatever currency you wish, within reason.

And they use perfectly fair exchange rates. In the past, c-w-s said they use an industry-standard rate (set by IATA?)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.