Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Unable to upgrade BA flight with Avios due to AA flight on same ticket?!?!?!?

Old Jul 10, 2017 | 1:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: Exec Club - Gold Member - yeah baby, Emerald Aisle Executive Elite - Woo, Marriott Silver Executive

I just got off the phone with the Executive club line.

I was all excited since I found upgrade availability on my upcoming LHR-DFW leg. Called to make it happen to be told that they couldn't process the upgrade because I have an American Airlines flight on the same ticket.

They asked if I could get my travel agent to split the tickets. I don't know what that means - can anyone explain?
Old Jul 10, 2017 | 1:31 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend
50 Countries Visited10 Years on Site

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
You can't UuA a TA made booking if it has non BA flights. Here is the summary from the reference posts in the TP run thread:

Upgrading Using Avios (UuA) & Gold Upgrade Vouchers (GUF)
A quick note on doing UuAs is that you can do these for exEU itineraries (or you can apply a GUF if you have any). The following restrictions for UuAs apply though:

Summary guide to bookings which can be upgraded with Avios:
  • BA issued tickets (can include other carriers) ^
  • TA issued (on BA stock) booking with only BA flights ^
  • TA issued (on BA stock) booking with other carriers
  • Tickets issued on non-BA stock

TA has to issue the ticket in the country of your BAEC membership as well. A BA Holiday booking (flights & hotel) is UuA'able and treated as a TA booking, so a booking including non BA flights could not be UuA'ed. Also a BA Holiday booking which was made using a TA can not be UuA'ed.

Note that even if booked direct with BA on a 125-... ticket you can't UuA BA marketed and AA operated flight. The BA flight must be both BA marketed and operated.

There is more information on UuA'ing TA bookings here.
In terms of splitting out the ticket they are suggesting you remove the AA flight from the ticket and get it booked on a separate ticket so your existing ticket would only have BA flights. This may be possible but it is unclear whether this would be a costly route to follow. Also there will be implications for through checking bags and protected connections.
Old Jul 10, 2017 | 1:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: Exec Club - Gold Member - yeah baby, Emerald Aisle Executive Elite - Woo, Marriott Silver Executive
Thank you for the info - but that's a bugger.

Looks like I'll be booking my flights a little differently now.
Old Jul 10, 2017 | 1:43 am
5 Years on Site

Programs: BAEC
I found out about that rule in similar circumstances.
After never ever getting UUA availaibility on flights to Boston, when there finally was I was initially and briefly told "no" (without telling me why) before I was allowed to do it. Didn't think anything of it and enjoyed the upgrade. 2 weeks later, having flown to Boston, then onto Dallas (AA flight...) I was trying to upgrade my return flight as they was availability. After 2 hours on phone before I got to talk to someone (no exaggeration), I was told I could not upgrade because of said "other carrier on booking" rule. Having had to wait so long on phone I was already a bit miffed and asked how come I had been updgraded OK on flight out. Well, that confused the hell out of them. They had to check, talk to manager etc. They acknowledged I had been upgraded (As if I was making this up) but shouldn't have been allowed and would not be allowed to upgrade return flight. I think they were cutting their nose to spite their face but there you go, no upgrade..
Old Jul 10, 2017 | 2:02 am
20 Countries Visited10 Years on Site

Programs: BA Silver, ZSL Silver
I did this once a few years ago, before I knew what I was doing. I used a TA because the flights were 100 cheaper (booking WTP LHR-ORD-RSW). There were no CW Avios seats at the time but some soon came up for both legs, so I excitedly gave BA a call. I think the worst bit was seeing CW half empty, knowing that we could have been in there.
Old Jul 10, 2017 | 2:21 am
Original Poster

Kruisler - so you're saying there's a chance???? ;-)

All I need to do is keep calling and hope that someone books it despite the rules. Man I wish I had enough time for that kind of shenanigans.
Old Jul 10, 2017 | 2:28 am

Originally Posted by Harry Harry
Kruisler - so you're saying there's a chance???? ;-)

All I need to do is keep calling and hope that someone books it despite the rules. Man I wish I had enough time for that kind of shenanigans.
I think it is clear that the UuA done for Kruisler was done by an agent who did not follow the rules.

I would suggest your way forward here is to take it as a learning point for next time, and not to continually call BAEC to try and see if you can find an agent who does't know the rules.
Old Jul 10, 2017 | 2:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KARFA
I think it is clear that the UuA done for Kruisler was done by an agent who did not follow the rules.

I would suggest your way forward here is to take it as a learning point for next time, and not to continually call BAEC to try and see if you can find an agent who does't know the rules.
That's my plan (hence the cheeky wink).
Old Jul 10, 2017 | 2:37 am

That's my plan (hence the cheeky wink).
Please don't, if only because your constant calling is going to waste time for many agents who could actually be helping people with real queries and problems.
Old Jul 10, 2017 | 2:43 am
Original Poster

Apparently I wasn't clear.

I am not planning to keep calling and wasting my time and the exec club agent's.

I was agreeing with you that this is lesson learned. Book smarter next time.

I reserve the right to weep a little as I pass through Club World on the flight that had Avios upgrade availability though.
Old Jul 10, 2017 | 4:20 am
5 Years on Site

Programs: BAEC
Apparently I wasn't clear.

You were...

KARFA is probably just finding it difficult to get started this Monday morning. Maybe a heavy week-end..
Old Jul 10, 2017 | 4:36 am

Apologies I misunderstood Harry Harry.
Old Jul 10, 2017 | 8:45 pm
Original Poster

No problem at all. I'm glad we are all straightened out.

Now I will resume planning my ascendance to GOLD party.
Old Jul 11, 2017 | 3:03 pm

Programs: None anymore
Originally Posted by KARFA
You can't UuA a TA made booking if it has non BA flights.
But why? I have long held the view that this is a preposterous rule. Is it intended to prevent the use of UuA? I have never managed to UuA, often for this reason, and have only ever been able to use them to directly book reward flights. That isn't always what I want to do.

For instance:
  • Ticketed as 125-
  • BA operated, BA marketed flight (e.g. LHR-LAX)
  • Itinerary also contains AA operated, BA marketed flight (e.g.. LAX-HNL)
If I want to upgrade that flight only (BA, LHR-LAX), then so what if there is an AA leg further along in the booking? Why should that prevent me from upgrading on the BA flight? There seems to be a general, if reluctant acceptance that this is the case but I'm genuinely curious to know what the reason for this rule really is.
Old Jul 11, 2017 | 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by 12939
But why? I have long held the view that this is a preposterous rule. Is it intended to prevent the use of UuA? I have never managed to UuA, often for this reason, and have only ever been able to use them to directly book reward flights. That isn't always what I want to do.

For instance:
  • Ticketed as 125-
  • BA operated, BA marketed flight (e.g. LHR-LAX)
  • Itinerary also contains AA operated, BA marketed flight (e.g.. LAX-HNL)
If I want to upgrade that flight only (BA, LHR-LAX), then so what if there is an AA leg further along in the booking? Why should that prevent me from upgrading on the BA flight? There seems to be a general, if reluctant acceptance that this is the case but I'm genuinely curious to know what the reason for this rule really is.
No idea myself. It's the same for UuA or GUF for a TA booking, it can't include non BA flights. Rather annoying as I am looking at a work trip to Brazil early next year which has to be booked via our (useless) corporate TA and would ideally include a LAN flight as well, but if I include that I can't use the GUF. Never mind, I suspect the TA may not even be willing to process the GUF so perhaps it is in vain anyway.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.