Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Premium Economy on Gatwick 777s

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2018, 1:42 pm
Original Poster

Premium Economy on Gatwick 777s

Hey, Im flying from Lima to Gatwick on a BA 777 in premium economy. It looks like this is the old version of premium economy which looks pretty rubbish compared to Virgins Premium cabin. Upgrading to business for me and my two companions will completely clear out my Avios account, which id rather not do, so was wondering if anybody had experience of premium economy on this aircraft type?

Cheers
Old Aug 21, 2018, 3:06 pm

Programs: BAEC-Silver, AMEX-BA Prem' Plus & Standard, Accor Gold, HH-Silver, IHG,IBIS On Business
When are you flying? There's a chance that your aircraft would've undergone densification at which time it will also get a cabin overhaul. You should note that the WTP cabin will be increased from 24-52 seats at the same time. but you will get newer faster IFE, re done seats ( which don't have great reviews tbh) and a general refresh of the cabin. One of the best short articles with decent images is here: https://londonairtravel.com/2018/03/...ck-boeing-777/

Lima isn't on the 1st routes list but depending when you're flying you might get lucky.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 5:40 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Bear in mind, the OP will be looking for refurbished G-YMMx aircraft on the Lima route, and these haven't started yet!
Old Aug 21, 2018, 5:53 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club - Demoted to Bronze and re-promoted to Silver alongside AC Elite 50K (gold) in 2022
I've done the summer Toronto route three times now and it's always been YMMR, YMMS or YMMC. I guess they will convert them eventually, but the VIIO VIIP etc group are being done first for the US and Caribbean flights.
They are old, the old IFE and no charging. But hey - they get you there and in the densified 777 - PE is worth every penny
Old Aug 22, 2018, 3:32 am

Programs: BAEC-Silver, AMEX-BA Prem' Plus & Standard, Accor Gold, HH-Silver, IHG,IBIS On Business
Originally Posted by TedToToe
Bear in mind, the OP will be looking for refurbished G-YMMx aircraft on the Lima route, and these haven't started yet!
Yup totally agree which is why I pointed out to OP that Lima isn't even on the 1st set of routes for the refresh/ densification but if he wasn't flying till say this time next year then there might be a chance he'd get an updated one, he says highly tentatively lol. I think and those with better knowledge please step in to correct if i'm wrong that it would still be one of the 7-200s so would at some point get done although the route itself isn't a priority.

Also OP have you maybe considered using LATAM. I'm not sure how you feel about positioning flights/ how set in stone you are about leaving from LGW as opposed to LHR etc etc but they run quite a varied fleet on the route and it does include A340 & A350s & both of those flights are operated by BA / marketed by LAT, just throwing ideas out there.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 3:58 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by travellingjake
Hey, Im flying from Lima to Gatwick on a BA 777 in premium economy. It looks like this is the old version of premium economy which looks pretty rubbish compared to Virgins Premium cabin. Upgrading to business for me and my two companions will completely clear out my Avios account, which id rather not do, so was wondering if anybody had experience of premium economy on this aircraft type?

Cheers
Cant think of a much better use for your avois than upgrading such a long flight though
TWCLAM, Cymro and Soupdragon62 like this.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 5:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
I'd clear out your avios on that one and never look back !
Old Aug 22, 2018, 6:45 am
Suspended

I only did CW on this sector because the price was good and I wanted the TPs. If you can sleep in PE, dont burn your Avios.

Btw the traffic around the LIM airport is a nightmare, the crew have been known to get stuck in it.

Last edited by FlyerTalker39574; Aug 22, 2018 at 7:03 am
Old Aug 22, 2018, 6:57 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Not good odds gambling and ending up with the old PE, this is the perfect use of your avios
mikeyfly and Soupdragon62 like this.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 1:01 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice everyone. We dont travel until June 19, outbound with Iberia from Madrid and then inbound to Gatwick with BA. So the inbound will be a night flight and I dont sleep in PE. Was trying to save most of the Avios for a two-for-one flight in a year or two. Decisions decisions!
Old Aug 22, 2018, 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by travellingjake
Thanks for the advice everyone. We dont travel until June 19, outbound with Iberia from Madrid and then inbound to Gatwick with BA. So the inbound will be a night flight and I dont sleep in PE. Was trying to save most of the Avios for a two-for-one flight in a year or two. Decisions decisions!

Oh them why worry. tailor your OB MAD-LIM to be 340 OR 350 from LAT, back at that point stll no promises on Dens/ updated LGW 7-2ER's but a decent chance on that aspect and use the Avios to enjoy a BC / CW exp rather than a marginally upgraded exp WTP flight especially if it's your 'couch for the night'. On an Transat flight im fine with most carriers in Econ for a westbound flight during the day but for red eye/ ON flight I personally wld rather spend out on miles or money for the eastbound flight back.f the budget says no to CW then i'll bite the bullet and suck up WT.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 6:55 pm

Programs: Virgin Sky Club
I flew LIM-LGW about a week ago in PE. It was an old cabin so personally I would save the avios. I only booked as the fare difference to WT was only 60. Would not say it is worth much more than that. But we did get sparkling wine pre-takeoff which was a surprise considering we were at an outstation.

edit: didnt read your message probably (thought you were thinking of upgrading to PE). PE was comfortable enough for the flight despite being the old cabin.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 12:56 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
It's a couple of years since I flew that route, did PE on outbound and CW on return. PE was ok for the outbound day flight (but really dragged after 10 hours knowing there's still another 2-3h to go). I'm tall so glad to have booked CW on return and actually had one of best nights sleep.

If you're worried about clearing out your avios why don't you ask your friends to pay the equivalent (or close to) in cash for your Avios upgrades and then use that cash to buy Avios back when Groupon Spain do one of their deals?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.