Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Your guide to spending Avios | 2019 edition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your guide to spending Avios | 2019 edition

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2019, 7:10 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
You should be able to see this online: there’s a review screen which lists the refund before you complete the cancellation. However sometimes a complication hides this information.

You should get everything back except £35. However if it’s a recent booking, since they started to offer more cost combinations including only £1 cash, they only seem to withhold £1 regardless of the choice you made. So 6500+£49 refunded.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 11:26 am

Programs: Watergate
I've never flown BA before but I'm looking to book a reward flight with my Amex MR points.

Flights from my location only seem to have one Z seat available at release but there's a decent chance of them adding more Z seats later. The amount of U seats is pretty limited and I expect there to be competition on the day that awards become available.

As my first priority is to book two tickets to travel (with F being my first choice but I will accept J), can I book the two U seats and then immediately go back and upgrade one of them to Z if it's still available?

I'm unfamiliar with BA's processes and procedures so my basic question is "can I book an award ticket and then upgrade that ticket to a higher award seat?" If so, can I do so immediately or will I either need to wait a short time (for the IT systems to process my first ticket) or a long time (due to some sort of policy) before making upgrades?
Old Nov 5, 2019, 12:17 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
You can't upgrade a reward seat with avios if that's what you are thinking of.

You can book the reward seat in J, and if a reward seat in F becomes available you can change the booking which will cost a £35 per person change fee, the extra avios, any extra taxes/fees/charges.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 12:46 pm

Programs: Watergate
Originally Posted by KARFA
You can't upgrade a reward seat with avios if that's what you are thinking of.

You can book the reward seat in J, and if a reward seat in F becomes available you can change the booking which will cost a £35 per person change fee, the extra avios, any extra taxes/fees/charges.
Hmm, that's precisely what I'm thinking of. I am trying to get two seats on Dec 30th which I expect to be a race to be the first to buy them. I was concerned that the time it took for me to purchase the (presumably) sole F seat would give someone else time to buy up the J inventory. I intended to prioritize getting seats on the flight first by booking two J seats and then upgrading one of them to the available F seat if it's still there five minutes after becoming available.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 3:12 pm
Suspended

Is there any regularity as to when CX makes available last-minute award inventory for BAEC Avios?

T-21, T-14, T-10, T-7?

Looking at CX flights within Asia specifically.

Last edited by FlyerTalker324193; Nov 5, 2019 at 7:54 pm
Old Nov 6, 2019, 12:58 am
Suspended

Hello,

does anyone know if the IB to BA combine avios function is working at the moment?
Old Nov 6, 2019, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I need to cxl a booking I made for a family member, having used avios from my account.
BA.com does not allow me to cancel, instead I get this message:

"Sorry, it is not possible to change this booking on ba.com. Please call your local British Airways office to change this booking.

Am I doing something wrong?
Old Nov 6, 2019, 9:45 am

Programs: BA GGL
Setting up an alert for a specific OSL-LHR flight in the future. First page here says business (therefore Club Europe) would fall into 'U' - is this always the case, so no additional fare codes to earmark? Thanks!
Old Nov 6, 2019, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by mmxbreaks
Setting up an alert for a specific OSL-LHR flight in the future. First page here says business (therefore Club Europe) would fall into 'U' - is this always the case, so no additional fare codes to earmark? Thanks!
For a reward? Yes it is just U that you want to watch in CE.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by mmxbreaks
An alert where? I don’t believe BA publishes its U availability openly (unlike for example QF).

You can set up an alert on rewardflightfinder.com . That website has some sort of backdoor into the availability data.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by pauldb
An alert where? I don’t believe BA publishes its U availability openly (unlike for example QF).

You can set up an alert on rewardflightfinder.com . That website has some sort of backdoor into the availability data.
You can set up an alert on EF. I think this has been offered for the last 1/2 years.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 11:44 pm

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Originally Posted by cesco.g
I need to cxl a booking I made for a family member, having used avios from my account.
BA.com does not allow me to cancel, instead I get this message:

"Sorry, it is not possible to change this booking on ba.com. Please call your local British Airways office to change this booking.

Am I doing something wrong?
No, you just have to call in this case...
Old Nov 7, 2019, 2:07 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
You can set up an alert on EF. I think this has been offered for the last 1/2 years.
Thanks - I’d missed that. Although EF gives you the “Business (U)” box to tick, I wonder if they have also some sort of backdoor access?
Old Nov 7, 2019, 4:20 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by pauldb
Thanks - I’d missed that. Although EF gives you the “Business (U)” box to tick, I wonder if they have also some sort of backdoor access?
It's looking at the same data I would think, albeit more specific.

It's why I was asking, because I can specify EF search for specific codes on my flight (rather than all the flights of that day like RFF), but wasn't sure if other codes were ever used and, therefore, whether I'd also want to add, say, "Z" to my alert criteria (I know this is used for other things, just hypothetical example).
Old Nov 7, 2019, 11:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Lefly
No, you just have to call in this case...
That's what I ended up doing. Agent stated "systems error" ...... and cxld the reservation.
Thanks for your feedback, Lefly !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.